GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade?

+12
TeamRenzo
asq2
beerandsens
SensFan71
Phoenix30
PTFlea
BigRig
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
Mojo
wprager
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

What is the TOP priority in the up-coming Heatley trade?

What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_lcap20%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_lcap213%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_rcap2 13% [ 4 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_lcap213%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_rcap2 13% [ 4 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_lcap228%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_rcap2 28% [ 9 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_lcap26%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_rcap2 6% [ 2 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_lcap225%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_rcap2 25% [ 8 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_lcap215%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? Vote_rcap2 15% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 32

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

After 30 pages of discussions in one thread, and probably a dozen more in other threads, there are some very clear ideas coming through as to what we could be (should be?) expecting from the up-coming Heatley trade. We are getting cap relief so we should go after a true #1 stud defenseman; we need to replace the lost offense (let's not forget we also lost a 20-25 goal scorer in Vermette); we need to get high-end prospects; we need picks.

So, in your opinion, what is the TOP priority in this trade? We want at least one of each, and we will probably get several -- but which one is the most important piece?

Do we focus on replacing a 50 goal scorer? Do we look for a 30-40 goal top-six player and expect the rest of the slacked to be picked up from within? Do we concentrate, solely, on getting a top minute-eating puck-moving defenseman, which should elevate everyone's offensive output? Do we hold out for a blue-chip forward prospect, or a blue-chip defensive prospect, and wait 2-3 years for the results to show? Or do we go all out to try and lend a top-three pick?

Hopefully the poll has enough options to satisfy everyone.

I have thought about this a lot. I think we do best by getting rid of the cap hit and allowing Murray to shop with the money. If you can trade Heatley for a top three pick I think you do yourself a big service. Spend on Bouwmeester if you want spend on any hole you think you need to fill.

Also you have a top three pick and a number 9 pick. Get a high end defenceman and forward prospect plus have money to spend today. My dream scenario is Hedman to play with Karlsson and Kadri as a guy who can fill the hole for secondary scoring. Sign Bouwmeester for 7 x 5 and then fill holes on the front lines via trade/UFA signings... that is my fantasy GM view... I think Murray is smarter than I and I have confidence he will make us a better team out of this...

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I voted for the pick. I don't think it is critical that it is quite as high as top 3, but it must be up there, probably high than the 9th Ottawa already has. As for eligible top 6 forwards or a PMD, Ottawa can get those on July 1st. I think this trade should be all about acquiring talented youth who can step in over the next few years.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think the need for a PMD is overblown. "PMD" has been hammered into our skulls so relentlessly we can't see that we have adequate puck movement as it is.

Top 3 pick, please.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I chose top 3 pick. It's followed closely by blue chip forward prospect though. And then a minute munching PMD would be nice. If this trade is done right we might have room for such a player.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I went blue chip forward. I think it's very unrealistic to think we'll get a Top 3 pick. We're losing a high scoring player... we're going to need a high end prospect back so we can help to fill the void. The cap relief will be needed to fill in other areas of weakness...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Keep the discussion going. I haven't made my pick yet. Frankly, I'm not sure what I think anymore (any yet?)

Probably, save the money for now. Get top pick and prospects, but don't dump the cap savings into a Bouwmeester. Wait to see how things shake out. Who knows, maybe Karlsson sticks with the big team out of camp and we'll find out that Kuba, Karlsson and Kampoli (yeah, I changed his name a bit) are more than adequate. We can save $7.5M for *five* years. We've got the best young defenseman who could be here next season, or is at most 2 years away, plus another college kid scoring at a PPG pace as a freshman. Frankly, with the upgrades in goal, I don't want to spend the money right awy on Bouwmeester. We may find out, in a few months, that the need is greater elsewhere -- once the money is spent it's hard to un-spend it.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good point about sinking money into Jay Bo Pragues. If we gave him a 5 year deal and Karlsson and Weircioch are top 2 in 3 years where does that leave Jay Bo? Looking an awful lot like Campbell in Chicago I would think. Although Jay Bo is much younger and we could be in a lot worse situation than that right?

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm just not convinced we need a PMD:

Under Clouston we had Campoli and Bell contributing pretty well. The team produced at a 104 point clip. Since then we have upgraded the goaltending situation. We're good in the back end.

... or not, but we won't know that for a few months yet.

I'm fairly conservative by nature, on the one hand. This leads me to often not want to make a decision too early, before all the facts are in. On the other hand I am inherently intuitive, which means I go with my "gut-feeling" over careful analysis (and my gut is usually right).

This time my gut is telling me to wait to get more facts Smile

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

I have always said that we need to build a championship Defence and this gives us the chance to do that buuuuuut.....

What about getting a top centre? Look at Pittsburgh, Philly etc....all the powerhouse teams in the East have 2 top scoring lines so why not trade for
Thorton or Marleau (not Vinny...too long of deal)? Note that a trade with SJ would most likely be much more than 1 for 1.

a 1-2 Punch at centre would go a long way in balancing our scoring and, now that we've addressed goaltending and our D is getting stronger, why not?

Thoughts?

Of course I'm not going to pissed if we put the $$ on the blueline but what do you think?

Alfie - Spezza - Foligno

Fisher - Thorton or Marleau - Comrie(yes, he's back for 2.5M)

etc.....

If we are keeping things realistic here, we are not getting a top 3 pick. Top 5, MAYBE if he goes to LA, that's as high as it will get.

The most important thing here is setting things up for the future and there are enough prospects out there that can really improve this team.

Sorry I'm sounding like a borken record but if we can get Tuebert thats the perfect players to grow up with Karlsson, PERFECT. If anyone is ever worried about Karlsson's size, with Tuebert its a none issue.

Think Stevens/Niedamayer.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Neely4Life wrote:If we are keeping things realistic here, we are not getting a top 3 pick. Top 5, MAYBE if he goes to LA, that's as high as it will get.

The most important thing here is setting things up for the future and there are enough prospects out there that can really improve this team.

Sorry I'm sounding like a borken record but if we can get Tuebert thats the perfect players to grow up with Karlsson, PERFECT. If anyone is ever worried about Karlsson's size, with Tuebert its a none issue.

How would we back-fill the goals Heatley produced?

Neely4Life wrote:If we are keeping things realistic here, we are not getting a top 3 pick. Top 5, MAYBE if he goes to LA, that's as high as it will get.

Remember what we got for Yashin? (Spezza, Chara and Muckalt) this is the SAME situation, SAME.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is an impossible poll to answer. We need a guy like Michalek (for example), a pick - like in the 5 area and hopefully a blue chipper. This is a guy who's average 45 goals the last 4 years, how can I choose just one of the options? Shrug

All are equally important.

MurderOnIce wrote:

Remember what we got for Yashin? (Spezza, Chara and Muckalt) this is the SAME situation, SAME.

Milbury was the guy making the deal. At the time Chara was also very raw. I loved the deal and its something to hang your hat on, but it was still very much a risky trade with just a draft pick, unproven D man, and well, Muckalt.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum