GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade?

+12
TeamRenzo
asq2
beerandsens
SensFan71
Phoenix30
PTFlea
BigRig
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
Mojo
wprager
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

What is the TOP priority in the up-coming Heatley trade?

What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap213%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 4 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap213%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 4 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap228%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 28% [ 9 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap26%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 2 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap225%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 25% [ 8 ]
What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap215%What's the TOP priority in the upcoming Heatley trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 32

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Phoenix30 wrote:I chose other because I can see Murray looking for a combination of picks, prospects, and a young quality player to help with the present and future of the team.

We *all* know that we will get a combination here. The question was *which one* is the most important piece? That determines whom you deal with and, as a consequence, what you will get back.

Im begging to god we get Tuebert, I really am. There isnt a player I want more in Ottawa than that kid. If we cant get him and OEL is off the board when we pick, I say go after Cowen.

I have my preferance in Teubert, but we need a big mean presseance back there, the likes of which Ottawa fans will have a tough time defending his actions. When the best you can come up with is "oh well" when defending a dirty player on the back end (Pronger) that's what ottawa needs with guys like Karlsson and Weircioch back there.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

I picked a blue chip forward prospect, of course that won't be exactly what heatley is worth, there will be a roster player and/or a high draft pick coming back in return, but the blue chip forward prospect should be the centerpiece of the deal.

SensFan71 wrote:I picked a blue chip forward prospect, of course that won't be exactly what heatley is worth, there will be a roster player and/or a high draft pick coming back in return, but the blue chip forward prospect should be the centerpiece of the deal.

Im going with Bluechip D man. There is a lot to be said about having a stacked blueline, especially with guys like Crosby and Ovechkin in the East.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:I chose other because I can see Murray looking for a combination of picks, prospects, and a young quality player to help with the present and future of the team.

We *all* know that we will get a combination here. The question was *which one* is the most important piece? That determines whom you deal with and, as a consequence, what you will get back.

Fair enough but there is no response to get a combination. What if you could get both a goal scorer and a young PMD to grow with the team. Erik Johsnon and either Backes/Berglund/Oshie. Right there you add some quality youth while still keeping some cap space.

If Im trading with St Louis, I'm going for Ian Cole. That kid has captain written all over him, on top of that, he can play a mean, mean game as well.

If it's St Louis its their 1st, Cole, Eller, and maybe a guy like Karyia to take some salary back.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:If Im trading with St Louis, I'm going for Ian Cole. That kid has captain written all over him, on top of that, he can play a mean, mean game as well.

If it's St Louis its their 1st, Cole, Eller, and maybe a guy like Karyia to take some salary back.

Kariya at 6m seems a bit much for salary to take on but if he stays health I guess he could be used for trade bait come the deadline.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Neely4Life wrote:If Im trading with St Louis, I'm going for Ian Cole. That kid has captain written all over him, on top of that, he can play a mean, mean game as well.

I think the Andy MacDonald experiment has failed miserably in St. Louis Wink . Maybe we can help them with that.

Phoenix30 wrote:

Kariya at 6m seems a bit much for salary to take on but if he stays health I guess he could be used for trade bait come the deadline.

Only 1 year left on the deal though, thats the big thing. 1 year cap hit, w/e. If it nets you all those prospects and a pick or two, get it done.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rather have the salary dump if Murray is going to make a serious run at a stud D-Man, unless we are content with Kuba as # 1 or facading as a number 1.

SeawaySensFan wrote:

I think the Andy MacDonald experiment has failed miserably in St. Louis Wink . Maybe we can help them with that.

Haha, McDOnald has been awesome for that team, as soon as he came back that team went on an insane run and made it. I would love McDonlad here but I dont see that happening.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Phoenix30 wrote:
wprager wrote:

Fair enough but there is no response to get a combination. What if you could get both a goal scorer and a young PMD to grow with the team. Erik Johsnon and either Backes/Berglund/Oshie. Right there you add some quality youth while still keeping some cap space.

There is no need for a combination in the poll response. It is understood that we *will* get a combination in return. The vote was strictly for which of the categories listed were the *TOP* priority.

For instance, if getting a stud PMD is the top priority, then you have to deal with Florida (for J-Bo) or Anaheim (for Pronger) or ... The point is, the most important priority will determine which teams you talk to (well, you talk to all of them, but you get my point). And that, by extension, will shape the rest of the deal. For example, if you're dealing with a top-10 team, you're not getting a top pick, so you may end up with more picks (quantity over quality). If you think getting a top-three pick (if that is even possilbe) is the priority, then forget about getting much else (unless you also take on some salary coming back). If your top priority is a stud PMD then you can also forget about saving any cap space for a proven goal scorer -- you just won't have the room.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I chose PMD. I don't want the PMD to be the centerpeice of the trade though, I misinterpreted the question at first. I think the trade should leave enough salary room for a PMD via free agency. That is the most important thing to me. Get the best package you can that still accomodates that possibility.

Admittedly this might be tough though with other teams up against the cap they will likely need to deal salary back to us.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

beerandsens wrote:I chose PMD. I don't want the PMD to be the centerpeice of the trade though, I misinterpreted the question at first. I think the trade should leave enough salary room for a PMD via free agency. That is the most important thing to me. Get the best package you can that still accomodates that possibility.

Admittedly this might be tough though with other teams up against the cap they will likely need to deal salary back to us.

LA won't, they are still pretty good in that aspect from my knowledge.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Salary cap commitments of a few select Western conference teams:

Anaheim: 38.8
LA: 39.9
Edmonton: 42.9
Calgary: 44.9
St. Louis: 46.2

I didn't look at how many players each still needs to sign, though.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Salary cap commitments of a few select Western conference teams:

I think the Anze Kopitar experiment has run it's course in LA.

I dont know about that, he is a play maker without a finisher. I think Kopitar has tonnns of upside, the guy is only 21.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Salary cap commitments of a few select Western conference teams:

Anaheim has lots of FA's, which probably puts them in a better spot than LA, St. Louis would have to dump a salary back to us to make it work.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum