GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray speaks out about Heatley trade request

+17
asq2
duffyforever
rooneypoo
Acrobat
wprager
LeCaptain
Havlat9
SensGirl11
PKC
TeamRenzo
jamvan
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
Urkie
PTFlea
davetherave
shabbs
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
It is hard an accurate, but only good if you get in the right position on the powerplay and have a nice setup guy... He needs a Markov to his Souray... (Obviously he doesn't have Souray's shot but you know what I mean...) Plus he needs to play well enough 5-on-5 to get a regular spot in the top 6.

If there's one thing that Kuba rocks at, it's passing on the PP. So, he might have his guy to get passes from. He'll have to work like a fiend to get the 5 on 5 time and crack the top 6, but I'm feeling better and better about him.

Neely4Life wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Plays like it.

Well yeah, the last two years he's been awful.

I understand that he wanted to try to show Murray that he's still the same player that played on the Finals team, but he only hurt his value by forcing it.

Before we re-sign him - if we even need to - I would have his hip examined extensively.

But, I agree with most people, if he can get back to 90% of what he was before, he's good for 50 points easily.

If he ever did get to 50 points, he would be -20 while trying to do it. Wouldnt give that guy anything more than a 1 year deal.

He's no Chris Kelly, but he's a hell of a lot more defensively sound than you're giving him credit for. You might be letting his play from this past season colour your opinion of him too much. I'm not saying you're entirely wrong or that he'll ever put up 50 points again, but I'm not as convinced as you that his career in the NHL is virtually over.

Also, I would have to believe that any deal with Comrie is going to be a 1 year deal, regardless of the dollar amount. Murray won't want to sign him past the 2010 off-season when the team already has multiple FA's and is assured to see some turnover; while Comrie won't want a long-term deal at what will be an inevitable discount. If Comrie signs, its a 1 year at no more than 2.5M (which would be an exceedingly generous offer)

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

so TSN was reporting that Murray may have some trouble trading Heatley, which is completely contradictory to how we are thinking here, is that mainly because TSN supports the Leafs so much they have to say that Dung about Ottawa or is there any truth to that?

Well, it's been his last 2 years, but I wont split hairs. I also dont like the fact if Murray takes a flyer on a guy like Comrie, when a younger guy like Regin, even a Zubov who need a legit shot at making it out of camp, dont have a roster spot.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I highly doubt Murray will have a huge problem unloading a 50 goal man.

Neely4Life wrote:Well, it's been his last 2 years, but I wont split hairs. I also dont like the fact if Murray takes a flyer on a guy like Comrie, when a younger guy like Regin, even a Zubov who need a legit shot at making it out of camp, dont have a roster spot.

Its a valid concern and I feel the same way, but I'm pretty sure that no matter who else is on the roster, Regin will have a spot. Zubov, I couldn't really care less about. He's just a less talented version of Afinogenov...

I agree but the spot should be there for him, or someone else to earn. Comrie hasnt earned it.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I highly doubt Murray will have a huge problem unloading a 50 goal man.

well from their stand point, its his NTC and the length of his contract is what TSN is stating, plus they figure Heatley has Murray dealing out of a point of weakness, which I think is hardly the case.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

What weakness. BMurray holds the cards. He could even tell Heatley to shove it, show up at camp or be prepared to lose some major cash. That's a position of strength in my opinion.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Of course Heatley has more than one agent, so it could be internal strife.
What? He has more than one agent? Isn't that against NHLPA rules?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

duffyforever wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:He isnt a good skater, isnt physical, isnt big, doesnt have much of a shot. He has shoulder problems, hip problems, and things are only going to get worse for a guy his size with those problems.

Comrie isnt a good enough skater for a guy his size to be effective. One of the slowest guys out there.

He definitely isn't big and he definitely isn't physical, but with a healthy hip I think he is an above-average skater with good speed. The Comrie we had last year was one with a bum hip that avoided physical play at all costs. If, and I stress that 'if', he can get healthy this summer and gets his skating back, he is a very effective playmaker with some of the best hands and best vision on the team. I'm not usually one that only cares about goals, but with 50 of them leaving the roster next week, someone has to put the biscuit in the basket - Comrie can do that.

I think the x factor here is if his hip problems were a result of last year's surgery or if they are permanent.

I've always been a big Comrie supporter. I loved him when he was here during our Cup run, he was a great skater at that time and he scored some goals and put up the points. When I heard we had acquired him again last year, I was really excited and figured it was for good this time. But, he really didn't impress me at all, he was completely ineffective, not the same player at all. I do believe however, that it was in large part due to his hip surgery, that obviously really slowed him down *and I mean really slowed him down to the point where i didn't recognize him anymore*. I have faith that he is only getting healthier this summer and that he should be getting closer to being completely okay. But, it could take another year at least, for him to get back to that point. I would still give him a contract though, and with the surgery being a hindering thing for him, we can get him for very little. Especially if he wants to be here. I do think he can get back to the 50 point days...just not exactly sure when.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

beedub wrote:What weakness. BMurray holds the cards. He could even tell Heatley to shove it, show up at camp or be prepared to lose some major cash. That's a position of strength in my opinion.

I think that this could very well be the case. I have complete faith that we are going to get the return we want for him and he might end up somewhere he doesn't want to be. But, that's his fault for starting this whole mess without talking to anyone first and trying to rectify the situation. He does not want to be here when the season starts, he will be pummelled by anything and everything that we can get our hands on.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Of course Heatley has more than one agent, so it could be internal strife.

I know, I find it very odd. How does that work?

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:What weakness. BMurray holds the cards. He could even tell Heatley to shove it, show up at camp or be prepared to lose some major cash. That's a position of strength in my opinion.

that was my thinking, I can't see Murray being in the weak point, but TSN seems to think he is, bunch of idiots.

duffyforever

Prospect
Prospect

SensGirl11 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

JP Barry and Stacey McAlpine work at the same agency that has Heatley as a client. He doesn't have two individual agents, per se, he hired their agency to represent him and I think the media just prints quotes from whoever they can get to answer their calls. Sometimes that is Barry, sometimes that is McAlpine. I don't think they necessarily have to divide the client list in half...

http://www.anothersensblog.blogspot.com

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

duffyforever wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

JP Barry and Stacey McAlpine work at the same agency that has Heatley as a client. He doesn't have two individual agents, per se, he hired their agency to represent him and I think the media just prints quotes from whoever they can get to answer their calls. Sometimes that is Barry, sometimes that is McAlpine. I don't think they necessarily have to divide the client list in half...
That makes sense...

His "spokespeople"... heh heh.

I wonder when we'll hear from Heatley...

Wink

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
duffyforever wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

That makes sense...

His "spokespeople"... heh heh.

I wonder when we'll hear from Heatley...

Wink

when he gets traded, until then, he doesn't have the balls to confront Ottawa or Bryan Murray, the freaking coward.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Because McAlpine has absolute and utter Dung for brains. Go to the Team1200 archive and dig up his interview from last week.

Bad news. :p:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum