GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Karlsson close to signing as per the Sun (UPDATE: DONE DEAL!!)

+13
Phoenix30
asq2
Hockeyhero22000
SensGirl11
TheAvatar
strachattack
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Cronie
PKC
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/05/07/9377516-sun.html

Senators near Karlsson deal
No 'roadblocks' to getting Swede signed, in Ottawa for training camp

Top blue-line prospect Erik Karlsson is close to signing with the Senators and should be in camp in September.

Karlsson's agent, Craig Oster, confirmed to Sun Media he's near a deal to bring the club's top pick in the 2008 draft into the Senators' fold. A deal could be completed by tomorrow.

Though the final paperwork still has to be completed with GM Bryan Murray at the world championship in Switzerland, Oster doesn't believe anything will stand in the way of the 18-year-old Swedish defenceman signing a deal and being in Senators' camp.

"I don't see any roadblocks," said Oster. "The discussions have gone well. (But) they've been lengthy and this hasn't been an easy deal to get completed. At this point, we're just trying to dot the i's and cross the t's to get an agreement in place."

STRENGTH TRAINING

The Senators are anxious to get Karlsson, who will turn 19 on May 31, into the fold.

Karlsson, listed at 5-foot-11 and 165 lbs. when he was drafted 15th overall last June, is expected to come to Ottawa later this month to work on his strength and conditioning.

The Senators also want to get the defenceman -- who's spent the last two seasons with the Frolunda Indians in Sweden -- over here to get him used to the North American style of play.

If Karlsson doesn't make the Senators, he could return to Sweden. He could also be sent to AHL Binghamton for a short stint.

"He can return to Sweden for the year and that's something he'd like to do if he isn't with the Senators, but that's not a decision that has to be made right now," said Oster.

BRUCE.GARRIOCH@SUNMEDIA.CA

The only regret I have at posting this is its from Garrioch. Puking2

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's a little disappointing to hear that he would prefer to return to Sweden if he doesn't make the Sens out of Camp. How is he supposed to get used to the NA game? Not a lot of European players make it directly from Europe into the NHL out of Camp at the age of 19. I really hope he changes his mind and takes a stint in Bingo. I doubt he'd stay down there long if he agreed to do that.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'd much rather see him in Bingo than back in Sweden to get used to the style of game over here.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

hopefully when he gets over here, Alfie and a few of the other vets can sit down and talk with him about what is better for his career, as you two gentlemen are right, he needs to adapt to the NA style of game.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Of course he is still only 18 (19 at the end of this month) so there is plenty of time. He also has the skills, abilities and intangibles to make the team right away and depending on the direction the team takes they may be willing to let him learn on the job much like they did with Winchester.

- Unknown Author

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

It would be a blast to see little Chris Campoli and little Erik Karlsson running around on the ice like a couple of heffers, haha.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PKC wrote:It would be a blast to see little Chris Campoli and little Erik Karlsson running around on the ice like a couple of heffers, haha.
Until they get crushed by Pronger or Lucic...

Eeks.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll be anxious to see if the deal is officially signed by tomorrow as Boo-Boo is predicting.

I hope he can make the team but mostly for selfish reasons as I want to see him in Sens uni and see what he can do.

I hope he can bulk up a bit though.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:I'll be anxious to see if the deal is officially signed by tomorrow as Boo-Boo is predicting.

I hope he can make the team but mostly for selfish reasons as I want to see him in Sens uni and see what he can do.

I hope he can bulk up a bit though.

That's where Randy Lee will have to step in, maybe put him on a training regime to match A-Train's, should bulk up in a hurry, plus give him some wheaties.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hahaha! Wheaties!

Capn' Crunch baby! ALL THE WAY!!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:hahaha! Wheaties!

Capn' Crunch baby! ALL THE WAY!!

silly cronie, cap'n crunch is for kids. Laughing3

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SHREDDIES!!!!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:SHREDDIES!!!!

Do you prefer the diamonds or squares?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
PKC wrote:It would be a blast to see little Chris Campoli and little Erik Karlsson running around on the ice like a couple of heffers, haha.
Until they get crushed by Pronger or Lucic...

Eeks.

Highly skilled and fast PMD's always seem to find a way to avoid big hits and still make a good play up the ice. Don't misunderstand me I'm not comparing Karlsson to this player but as an example Scott Neidermeyer never gets hit and he's a small guy. listed at
6' 1" and 195 lb. http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8458517&view=stats#&navid=nhl-keymatch

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
That's where Randy Lee will have to step in, maybe put him on a training regime to match A-Train's, should bulk up in a hurry, plus give him some wheaties.

Meh...that's not really Karlsson's thing. He can survive with his little body because he's so slick and can absorb hits very well - and he's extremely physical.

That's the scary part for me. Throw a check on an NHLer and you may bounce off him and cause more damage to yourself. He'll have to start to put together when he can throw the hit and when he should allow the opposing player to go past.

It's neat, at 19 next year he could seriously be a player for us. Age doesn't matter, it's the ability to read plays and get involved without putting yourself or your team in danger - and Karlsson can do that. He'll make mistakes, but so do Rafalski, Kronwall and more specifically Gonchar. I see neat resemblences in Gonchar's game and Karlsson's game. Big, booming shot that teams have to respect - and the ability to find guys squirreled off to the side for the old slap pass.

I still think he could use another year in the SEL, but at this point, I think he might be able to adapt.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum