GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Karlsson close to signing as per the Sun (UPDATE: DONE DEAL!!)

+13
Phoenix30
asq2
Hockeyhero22000
SensGirl11
TheAvatar
strachattack
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Cronie
PKC
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I don't think he's that long term of a project as long as you're willing to let him learn on the job and not expect super star play out of him.

Bringing him in at 20 doesn't seem like that long term of a plan to me.

Also, the kid has been hyped to death, sowhether it's fair or not, I have a suspicion many fans are going to expect him to be a star as soon as he puts on a Sens uniform.

He's probably going to get beaten defensively a lot, considering how small he is and considering his skating could use more work, he's probably going to give the puck away quite a bit (as most puck-possession defencemen do), and the combination of that may cause some fans to turn on him.

He's got the fortitude to handle that pressure, but I'm not sure it's in the best interest of either party for that to happen.

Basically, at 19 in the NHL I'd see him almost as Wade Redden is now, only smarter offensively and with a better shot. He'll make some poor decisions defensively, he'll get outmuscled frequently, and he's not going to beat the Derek Roys or Phil Kessels of the division in a foot-race at this point.

Anyway, this is all my opinion. It's probably too early to evaluate at this point. I have utmost faith that Karlsson can, and probably will become a star, even at both ends of the ice. I just think it'll take longer than many are expecting.

If Campoli has an insane year next year, asks for 4, 5 million and Murray is forced to deal him, well, you still have Bell in your back pocket to pick up where Campoli left off. Im not saying thats what will happen, but just a situation where having Bell in the Organization is an extremely smart move.

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:I thought the same about Karlsson, but if he's progressing as well as he is in the SEL, then why not get him accustomed to the NA game by putting him in the NHL? He could use work on various aspects of his game, but everyone will understand that he's not going to go out there and be Jay Bouwmeester. He's going to get tons of rope from Clouston to learn on the fly.

What's the real difference between him learning the trade in the SEL and learning it in the NHL with Clouston and Richardson etc. teaching him?

I don't see a problem with it at all. I think he has a good head on his shoulders and wouldn't take making mistakes too much to heart. He could really benefit from being in the NHL, I do not in any way expect him to be killer awesome just yet, I do expect him to make some mistakes, but I also expect him to learn from them. Why not bring him in now? I don't think it's rushing him at all. If he is, as people are saying, better than Hedman in certain aspects of his game, why not bring him up now? Hedman will most likely be playing next year too, what's the difference? Other than size of course...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

So if you re-sign Bell what do you do with him? Sign him to a 2 way deal again and once the log jam clears put him on the roster as the 7th D?

Just sign him and put him in the press box until there's an injury - which there always is. He'll be fine with that, he's still paying his dues in the NHL.

So sign him, add a UFA D man send Lee to the Minors and you still have

Kuba - UFA D man
Phillips - Volchie
Karlsson - Lee

Smith, Picard, Bell.

Try again Heater. I need a little more of an answer than put him in the press box along side 2 other D men.

Edit: Even if you assume Karlsson is back in the SEL they're not gonna keep two D in the press box all year.

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Thu May 07, 2009 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author

Its not like Karlsson will be getting 1st or 2nd pairing mins with the Sens. He will be put in as the 5th, 6th D man playing against teams 3rd and 4th lines, and used on the PP, maybe the PK.

Basically, Murray, Clouston, and the rest of the Sens will put him in a position to succeed and learn on the job. Mistakes are going to happen but he wont be as bad as Brian Lee (final shot at him).

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
504Heater wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

So if you re-sign Bell what do you do with him? Sign him to a 2 way deal again and once the log jam clears put him on the roster as the 7th D?

Just sign him and put him in the press box until there's an injury - which there always is. He'll be fine with that, he's still paying his dues in the NHL.

Kuba - UFA D man
Phillips - Volchie
Karlsson - Lee

Smith, Picard, Bell.

Try again Heater. I need a little more of an answer than put him in the press box along side 2 other D men.

Edit: Even if you assume Karlsson is back in the SEL they're not gonna keep two D in the press box all year.

There is no way Lee makes the team next year Cap with Karlsson coming over. Lee isnt in the top 6 now let alone adding 2 more D.

Bell can be used as the number 7 guy in Ottawa and fill in up front if injuries occure. He is a pretty versitile player.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:
I don't see a problem with it at all. I think he has a good head on his shoulders and wouldn't take making mistakes too much to heart. He could really benefit from being in the NHL, I do not in any way expect him to be killer awesome just yet, I do expect him to make some mistakes, but I also expect him to learn from them. Why not bring him in now? I don't think it's rushing him at all. If he is, as people are saying, better than Hedman in certain aspects of his game, why not bring him up now? Hedman will most likely be playing next year too, what's the difference? Other than size of course...

Milan Lucic's turds are bigger than he is? Shrug

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:

Puking2 you made me toss my cookies. 🇬🇬

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:

Laughing3 Goodness that's funny.

Really though, I don't think we need to worry that much about him, he seems like a smart guy. Just don't get caught with your head down, and you'll be fine.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:
504Heater wrote:I thought the same about Karlsson, but if he's progressing as well as he is in the SEL, then why not get him accustomed to the NA game by putting him in the NHL? He could use work on various aspects of his game, but everyone will understand that he's not going to go out there and be Jay Bouwmeester. He's going to get tons of rope from Clouston to learn on the fly.

What's the real difference between him learning the trade in the SEL and learning it in the NHL with Clouston and Richardson etc. teaching him?

Size and speed are two pretty important differences between the two currently.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Who is the speedier of the 2? I can't see a 7 foot monster being that speedy personally.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Kuba - UFA D man
Phillips - Volchie
Karlsson - Lee

Smith, Picard, Bell.

Kuba, Phillips, Volckenkov, Campoli are locks on our D. Let's assume that Clouston and Murray want to see what Karlsson has, so assume he's in.

Schubert will be moved I'm sure.

Picard might have decent value on the trade market. I'm not in love with trading promising young D-man, but...we have our share of 5th or 6th D-man.

Jason Smith is as good as gone. We need him for the playoffs, but that amount of coin he's being paid for a 6th D-man is getting serious.

Brian Lee will be sent to Bingo to 'learn more' or whatever. Or be moved.

Brendan Bell will be re-signed and practice with the team etc. - and will be the 7th D-man.

Murray's got a ton of work to do. I bet he's ready to go as soon as someone wins the Cup.

And I sincerely doubt he's adding anyone via UFA. That's enough, we're getting better and better - and they better crop of UFA D-men are next summer if we're having issues.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

Is Hedman faster than Karlsson?

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Is Hedman faster than Karlsson?

Right now, I would say so.

Part of the reason people regard Hedman as a potential generational defenceman: he's like Jay Bouwmeester, only 4 inches taller.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
Right now, I would say so.

Part of the reason people regard Hedman as a potential generational defenceman: he's like Jay Bouwmeester, only 4 inches taller.

Huh. I knew Hedman was lightning fast, but I thought one of Karlsson's attributes was the he too was quick. I thought the only thing differing between the two was size - and possibly a little bit of extra hockey sense for Hedman? Shrug

Last edited by 504Heater on Thu May 07, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

By CHRIS STEVENSON, Sun Media
Last Updated: 7th May 2009, 1:46pm

As reported in today's Sun, the Senators have reached agreement with defenceman Erik Karlsson on an entry level contract. He was the club's top pick in the NHL entry draft last season.

Karlsson, 18 (he turns 19 at the end of the month), was picked 15th overall last summer. He completed his second season with the Frolunda HC Indians of the Swedish elite league this past season with five goals and five assists in 45 games.

Karlsson played for Sweden at the world junior championships here in Ottawa in December and January and was picked as the tournament's top defenceman. He tied for the lead in defencemen scoring with two goals and seven assists in six games.
Size is an issue for Karlsson. He's listed at 5-11 and 165 pounds and both might be exaggerations.

"Without a doubt," said Senators GM Bryan Murray, on a conference call from Switzerland where's he's attending the world championships. "His head and hands are terrific, but the question is can he handle the every day traffic in the NHL?"

Murray said he spoke to Bengt Gustafsson, the Frolunda coach, who said Karlsson played well in the last couple of months of the Indians' season.

"Based on that, I think there's a good chance (he could play in the NHL next season)," said Murray. "Certainly he'll address a need for us if he can play right away."

Karlsson said he won't know if he can make the NHL club until he gets some first-hand experience against NHL competition.

"It's a hard question to answer. I'll go over there and do the best I can...if it's not enough, I'll have to improve somewhere else."

He said he's been working hard on improving his size and strength since the Indians' season ended.

"I've added a few pounds, but I can't say how many. I'm a lot stronger now. The coach I train with said I'm getting stronger every day since the end of the season," said Karlsson.

Murray said the deal with Karlsson allows the Senators to put him in the AHL or send him back to Sweden if he doesn't make the NHL club.

The Senators already have a log jam on the blue line with seven defencemen signed for next season (not including Christoph Schubert, who's signed for next year and played mostly at forward or Brendan Bell, who will be a restricted free agent).

Not really, just longer strides. Karlsson is quite a bit better then Hedman... Karlsson is 100% ready IMO to be in the NHL and seemingly the Sens as well.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Here is something to consider. What if Smiths injury is bad enough to put him on LITR until next January or February then you clear his salary from the cap until he comes off LITR. It gives Murray ample time to sort out the D and use the extra cap space. If he comes back his salary is now about 1/2 and he could be a valuable piece if the team is in the playoffs and if not he could still be valuable on the trade market. If his knee is done then its into retirement for the old warrior.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum