GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Karlsson close to signing as per the Sun (UPDATE: DONE DEAL!!)

+13
Phoenix30
asq2
Hockeyhero22000
SensGirl11
TheAvatar
strachattack
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Cronie
PKC
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:There is no way picard is going to get one of the 6 roster spots before campoli gets in there unless you think we are tradign campoli away

100% agreed.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Okay, let's take a quick look here:

Kuba - Karlsson
Phillips - Volchenkov
Campoli - Picard/Smith

extra Bell

Trade or send down: Lee and Schubert

And then choose one of Picard or Smith to keep. Sign Bell as the extra D-man.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:

Nope, you're right. Picard will prob be the 7th D man... man, unless Murray goes with the current lineup. Is Karlsson the D man he wanted to add via UFA? Maybe...

Well during Murray's press conference he said he wanted to add a D man and that Karlsson was NOT the answer.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I don't see Karlsson as the immediate saviour of this team, nor do I think it's particularly good to rush his development.

Remember, we picked this guy as more of a long-term project than, say, a Luke Schenn is. He needs more time to work on his game. His acceleration could use some improvement, his defensive game needs work, and his strength and conditioning (obviously) has to be better.

I'm fine with him coming over for the summer to work with the team, then have him return to Europe. The SEL is one of the top-3 leagues in the world, and Karlsson benefits from having a very open-minded coach in regards to giving playing time to younger players, something that isn't all that common.

Let him play more at the high SEL level, he can come to Canada for the WJHC and potentially captain the Swedish national team, hopefully make the playoffs with Frolunda (he led some play-off games in ice-time in the second round) and generally just improve his game. Then he can come over for 2010-2011, potentially play in the AHL for a while if he needs it, and then come up to play on the big team.

Kid's not even 19 yet. It's not like we're wasting valuable years of his by letting him develop more: in 2010-2011, he'd still only be a 20 year old defenceman.

I see this off-season as letting him get somewhat used to the North American culture and training exercises. I don't think it necessarily means that we want to throw him into the fire right away and hope he becomes a star.

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

Nope, you're right. Picard will prob be the 7th D man... man, unless Murray goes with the current lineup. Is Karlsson the D man he wanted to add via UFA? Maybe...

Well during Murray's press conference he said he wanted to add a D man and that Karlsson was NOT the answer.

He must have a plan then, because that is beyond a log jam on D. W/e, good problem to have.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I don't see Karlsson as the immediate saviour of this team, nor do I think it's particularly good to rush his development.

Remember, we picked this guy as more of a long-term project than, say, a Luke Schenn is. He needs more time to work on his game. His acceleration could use some improvement, his defensive game needs work, and his strength and conditioning (obviously) has to be better.

I'm fine with him coming over for the summer to work with the team, then have him return to Europe. The SEL is one of the top-3 leagues in the world, and Karlsson benefits from having a very open-minded coach in regards to giving playing time to younger players, something that isn't all that common.

Let him play more at the high SEL level, he can come to Canada for the WJHC and potentially captain the Swedish national team, hopefully make the playoffs with Frolunda (he led some play-off games in ice-time in the second round) and generally just improve his game. Then he can come over for 2010-2011, potentially play in the AHL for a while if he needs it, and then come up to play on the big team.

Kid's not even 19 yet. It's not like we're wasting valuable years of his by letting him develop more: in 2010-2011, he'd still only be a 20 year old defenceman.

I see this off-season as letting him get somewhat used to the North American culture and training exercises. I don't think it necessarily means that we want to throw him into the fire right away and hope he becomes a star.

I don't think he's that long term of a project as long as you're willing to let him learn on the job and not expect super star play out of him.

Also he will be 19 by the end of this month. Also he appears uninterested in any kind of stint in Bingo so it's let him on the big club or he plays in Sweden.

- Unknown Author

asq2 wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I don't see Karlsson as the immediate saviour of this team, nor do I think it's particularly good to rush his development.

I dont think anyone is rushing his development, because from a pure skill and mental point of view, Karlsson is ready for the NHL. There is a whole lot more he can do to improve his game unless he is playing at the very highest level. His size, meh, might be a small concern, but I maintain he is 100% ready for the NHL.

I dont think there is a rush either, but there is no reason he shouldnt be in Ottawa next year unless he feels that another year in Sweden is where he wants to be.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I thought the same about Karlsson, but if he's progressing as well as he is in the SEL, then why not get him accustomed to the NA game by putting him in the NHL? He could use work on various aspects of his game, but everyone will understand that he's not going to go out there and be Jay Bouwmeester. He's going to get tons of rope from Clouston to learn on the fly.

What's the real difference between him learning the trade in the SEL and learning it in the NHL with Clouston and Richardson etc. teaching him?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

He must have a plan then, because that is beyond a log jam on D. W/e, good problem to have.

Well personally I don't think he keeps Schubert around and if he does it won't be on D. Bell probably won't be re-signed with the number of D they have plus the desire to sign another so there's 2 gone off that list. If you throw Lee in Bingo then you've got 7. That's where you hope you can move Smith or he retires leaving you 6, sign the UFA D man and Picard stays as your depth D.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Well personally I don't think he keeps Schubert around and if he does it won't be on D. Bell probably won't be re-signed with the number of D they have plus the desire to sign another so there's 2 gone off that list. If you throw Lee in Bingo then you've got 7. That's where you hope you can move Smith or he retires leaving you 6, sign the UFA D man and Picard stays as your depth D.

I can't be the only one who thinks that Bell is the perfect 7th D-man, am I? The guy comes in and does what's asked of him and puts up stellar offensive numbers. Sign him to a one-way 550K contract and get rid of someone else.

Just my opinion, but Bell is apparently well-liked - and definitely a team first guy.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not to mention that if we miss out on Ohlund and Beauchemin, we might as well go forward with this group and see how it shakes out. We can make a move for a D-man at Christmas - or closer to the deadline if need be.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

Ya, I dont think they let Bell go either like Heater said. He really is the perfect 7th D man, and he can move up to forward as well if injuries hit. The New Schubert if you will. He can pinch in here and there on the PP, puts up decent numbers, and IMO had a good season last year for the opportunity he was given.

I agree Schubert is gone, Lee wont be up with Ottawa, and maybe there is a bigger deal in place somewhere that we do not know about... anyways, I dont think anyone can say for certain what is going to happen, but I think letting Bell go would be a mistake.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I can't be the only one who thinks that Bell is the perfect 7th D-man, am I? The guy comes in and does what's asked of him and puts up stellar offensive numbers. Sign him to a one-way 550K contract and get rid of someone else.

Just my opinion, but Bell is apparently well-liked - and definitely a team first guy.

So if you re-sign Bell what do you do with him? Sign him to a 2 way deal again and once the log jam clears put him on the roster as the 7th D?

- Unknown Author

Something like that... I dont think you just let the guy walk after you took a chance on him and he proved you right, if you're Murray. He will make the league min, and obviously showed he can put up 30-40 points as an everyday player with PP time.

I like Bell as a depth guy up in Ottawa and could be a very valauable piece going forward if the cap becomes an issue.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

So if you re-sign Bell what do you do with him? Sign him to a 2 way deal again and once the log jam clears put him on the roster as the 7th D?

Just sign him and put him in the press box until there's an injury - which there always is. He'll be fine with that, he's still paying his dues in the NHL.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I don't think he's that long term of a project as long as you're willing to let him learn on the job and not expect super star play out of him.

Bringing him in at 20 doesn't seem like that long term of a plan to me.

Also, the kid has been hyped to death, sowhether it's fair or not, I have a suspicion many fans are going to expect him to be a star as soon as he puts on a Sens uniform.

He's probably going to get beaten defensively a lot, considering how small he is and considering his skating could use more work, he's probably going to give the puck away quite a bit (as most puck-possession defencemen do), and the combination of that may cause some fans to turn on him.

He's got the fortitude to handle that pressure, but I'm not sure it's in the best interest of either party for that to happen.

Basically, at 19 in the NHL I'd see him almost as Wade Redden is now, only smarter offensively and with a better shot. He'll make some poor decisions defensively, he'll get outmuscled frequently, and he's not going to beat the Derek Roys or Phil Kessels of the division in a foot-race at this point.

Anyway, this is all my opinion. It's probably too early to evaluate at this point. I have utmost faith that Karlsson can, and probably will become a star, even at both ends of the ice. I just think it'll take longer than many are expecting.

If Campoli has an insane year next year, asks for 4, 5 million and Murray is forced to deal him, well, you still have Bell in your back pocket to pick up where Campoli left off. Im not saying thats what will happen, but just a situation where having Bell in the Organization is an extremely smart move.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:I thought the same about Karlsson, but if he's progressing as well as he is in the SEL, then why not get him accustomed to the NA game by putting him in the NHL? He could use work on various aspects of his game, but everyone will understand that he's not going to go out there and be Jay Bouwmeester. He's going to get tons of rope from Clouston to learn on the fly.

What's the real difference between him learning the trade in the SEL and learning it in the NHL with Clouston and Richardson etc. teaching him?

I don't see a problem with it at all. I think he has a good head on his shoulders and wouldn't take making mistakes too much to heart. He could really benefit from being in the NHL, I do not in any way expect him to be killer awesome just yet, I do expect him to make some mistakes, but I also expect him to learn from them. Why not bring him in now? I don't think it's rushing him at all. If he is, as people are saying, better than Hedman in certain aspects of his game, why not bring him up now? Hedman will most likely be playing next year too, what's the difference? Other than size of course...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum