GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

All Offseason Trades

+7
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
spader
Flo The Action
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

46All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:41 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's very silly. So we could sign Wiercioch to a lower amount and trade him for a 5th instead of letting him walk? Or a team could offer a piece of Dung and sign Wiercioch to 800K?

47All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Once traded the team doesn't have to sign him at the qualifying offer

48All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:10 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, Diddle, as if Wiercioch doesn't have some value then. A 4th or 5th, come on...

49All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PTFlea wrote:That's very silly.  So we could sign Wiercioch to a lower amount and trade him for a 5th instead of letting him walk?  Or a team could offer a piece of Dung and sign Wiercioch to 800K?

If they could do that with Chiasson and sign him for $800K then I don't see why not Wiercioch. Unless there is a rule as to how low that non-qualifying offer can be. I'd read something about a different kind of arbitration where you can try to reduce an RFA's QO. Maybe something like that is involved here.

50All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:43 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Chiasson wasn't given a QO. He was signed before the deadline.

51All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:Chiasson wasn't given a QO.  He was signed before the deadline.  

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/4/18/11414614/key-important-dates-calendar-nhl-off-season-summer-entry-draft-free-agent-agency-training-camp

The last day to qualify RFAs passed on Monday. If unqualified, they become UFAs on July 1st, so there is a window there after the QO deadline has passed but they are still not UFAs.

Once a QO has been extended (even if it is not accepted) the player will retain their "restricted" status. So Wiercioch can still be traded up until Friday.

I could have sworn that a while ago I read somewhere how the QO deadline was at 3PM but I can't find any such info now. Typically that's midnight but maybe not in this case.

I just can't figure out why, if the Sens could have traded Wiercioch and the receiving team did not need to match his $2.7M salary on his next contract, that they could not find a taker. The guy *is* a serviceable 3rd pairing puck mover and with the right partner could do well even on the 2nd pairing. IMO he is more valuable than Chiasson.

52All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:46 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So if I'm getting it right we got an AHL D-man for Chiasson?

Wow... Chiasson might of not been the best forward we had but he was ok.

53All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:08 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:So if I'm getting it right we got an AHL D-man for Chiasson?

Certainly better than "DSP."

54All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:So if I'm getting it right we got an AHL D-man for Chiasson?

Certainly better than "DSP."

Opens up room on the 4th line for Lazar. Facepalm

55All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:44 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

He was not very OK either....and just goes to show you how fleeced we got on the spezza trade.  2 years later, I think we can all agree on it.

Only person remaining is Nick Paul.

56All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:

He was not very OK either....and just goes to show you how fleeced we got on the spezza trade.  2 years later, I think we can all agree on it.

Yeah Chiasson wasn't spectacular but he seemed to start getting it by the end of the season. Might still find his game.

Yeah the Spezza trade was terrible but it was better than having him walk

57All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What we should have done is hung on to him and traded him at the deadline if we were out of the playoffs. It gets to a point where letting a player go is the better option (how much money was spent on "developing" Chiasson and Guptill? Even Paul is far from a guarantee to make it on a regular basis. The mistake was in giving him the 'C'. Should have given it to Phillips and nobody -- NOBODY -- would have complained. A legacy player in his final year or two. If Spezza was going to be here for another 5-6 years he could have waited another couple years for the 'C', and if he wasn't then he would have been spared the embarrassment.

58All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:21 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:

And that guy we got for Chiasson.

59All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:What we should have done is hung on to him and traded him at the deadline if we were out of the playoffs.  It gets to a point where letting a player go is the better option (how much money was spent on "developing" Chiasson and Guptill?  Even Paul is far from a guarantee to make it on a regular basis.  The mistake was in giving him the 'C'.  Should have given it to Phillips and nobody -- NOBODY -- would have complained.  A legacy player in his final year or two.  If Spezza was going to be here for another 5-6 years he could have waited another couple years for the 'C', and if he wasn't then he would have been spared the embarrassment.

Everyone would have complained even more if phillips had the C. Given to a player who could barely play anymore.

Could of gotten even less at the deadline, it might have been to the stars for a lesser package.

60All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:12 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It would have been seen as a move to reward a legacy player and a short-term thing. I don't think any of the players would have had a problem with that.

61All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:40 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall straight up. Cue all the people who assume that we could have swept in and made the same trade.

62All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Horrific trade for Edmonton.

63All Offseason Trades - Page 4 Empty Re: All Offseason Trades Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:54 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall straight up. Cue all the people who assume that we could have swept in and made the same trade.

Ceci + 2nd rounder might have worked....

Oiler fans are beside themselves but this pretty much means Lucic is signing with them. They needed a shutdown stable defenceman, now they got him. Could have gotten more though...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum