GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFSEASON TALK: Defence!

+9
SensHulk
SDH89
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
wprager
Riprock
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 6:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's a ton to talk about this off-season, the forwards shouldn't be forgotten either obviously, but there's a finite number of things that can be done to improve the mobility of the D core.

Karlsson is one of the best young puck movers in the entire league - and we're lucky that he's maturing so quickly, but how do we address our D?

Phillips -
Kuba - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner
extra: Lee

call-ups: Gryba, Cowen, Wiercioch

What's gonna happen with that huge hole to Phillips' right? Lee? A UFA? A trade?

Let's talk!

2OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I am not saying this is my opinion, but Lee has NHL experience. Regardless how he played, there's a chance he improves, and the fact remains he is under contract, which will probably be the deciding factor. That's why I think it will be these pairings, barring a signing or trade:

Phillips-Karlsson
Kuba-Lee
Campoli-Carkner

Each pairing you got a LH and RH shot respectively, and a good mix of offence and defence. Kuba is a guy that seemed to do well as a partner for Karlsson, so hopefully the same works for Lee. Campoli will see a lot of PP minutes as well. As he is a RFA I kept him in the line-up because he will be back, pretty much a given.

3OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:06 pm

K, Cowen wont be a call up. He either makes the team out of camp or gets sent back to jr. People gotta stop saying he will be called up, it will not happen.

Weircoich I think see around 30 games or so, Gryba is the dark horse to make the team IMO and brings something The Sens do not currently have.

Lee is literally a peice to maybe movr up a spot or get a 3rd or 4th rounder for... perhaps to land a guy like Campbell. That's it. He has about the same chance at making the team as Shannon does. I would bet any amount Shannon is on waivers before next year starts.

4OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Dash wrote:I am not saying this is my opinion, but Lee has NHL experience. Regardless how he played, there's a chance he improves, and the fact remains he is under contract, which will probably be the deciding factor. That's why I think it will be these pairings, barring a signing or trade:

Phillips-Karlsson
Kuba-Lee
Campoli-Carkner

Each pairing you got a LH and RH shot respectively, and a good mix of offence and defence. Kuba is a guy that seemed to do well as a partner for Karlsson, so hopefully the same works for Lee. Campoli will see a lot of PP minutes as well. As he is a RFA I kept him in the line-up because he will be back, pretty much a given.

Murray has already said he is going to make a move for a D man. You are basically saying that Shannon will be on the team because he has a 1 way deal, which he probably wont.

If Lee makes it to camp he is in deep to make the team and Murray stating that Cowen will more then likely start the season in Ottawa with a good camp, Gryba has a chance, and Weircoich will see time, where does Lee fit in?

His NHL expierence is a non factor because he isnt good enough to be in The NHL. Unless Lee carves out a role for himself he wont be making The Sens, this "tweener" D man crap isnt going to work. He either becomes an offensive D man or a shutdown guy. IMO he has to do the later but with his work ethic, soft game, and his over attitude it wont happen, not for a looooooooong time if it ever does.

5OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

By most people's estimations Cowen has been set back 2 full years. So, last year was one, next year, he plays with Spokane for the full year and hopefully joins Bingo for the playoff run.

I agree, why would he make this team? He's not ready, unless he has a super-human summer, how could he be ready?

He needs to make 100% sure his knee is back. He's a future NHLer, not some scrub trying to make it, the Sens have to be patient.

On a related note, Wiercioch is soaring to the top of the food chain. It won't be long until he's a Sen to stay - in fact, he might be right from training camp. I wouldn't be at all surprised personally.

6OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:15 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think Dash has a good point, though. Lee played well his first call up, so what changed? And maybe playing alongside someone like Kuba he'll learn what it takes to survive in this league if you don't want to use your size to play a physical game.

In any case, he's certainly not here for a long time. Maybe playing with someone like Kuba will improve his trade value. But will I cry if he's dealt to move up? Nah.

7OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:19 pm

I would say he has lost a year, 2 years is pushing it to say the least. He was basically NHL ready before his injury and would have been a top 4 pick otherwise. Ottawa got a huge break getting this kid and if he builds enough muscle around that knee and in his leg, he will start the season in Ottawa.

I dont think Weircoich makes the team out of camp though, he will play at some point and I think it depends on when Cowen gets sent back, if he does.

8OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

You can't use my logic about Lee and compare it to Shannon at all. If Cowen or Wiercioch make the team past 9 games, they lose a year off their contract, and unless they are playing amazing, why bother using up a year and let Lee play (if he earns it, which is still far from being determined). Murray did not have to re-sign Lee, he could have traded him. If he can move Nikulin he can move Lee.

Shannon lost his spot to guys under contract, not rookies. We had Cheechoo and Donovan too.

As it stands now, he's under contract so basically it looks like it is his spot to lose.

9OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:22 pm

wprager wrote:I think Dash has a good point, though. Lee played well his first call up, so what changed? And maybe playing alongside someone like Kuba he'll learn what it takes to survive in this league if you don't want to use your size to play a physical game.

In any case, he's certainly not here for a long time. Maybe playing with someone like Kuba will improve his trade value. But will I cry if he's dealt to move up? Nah.

The fact he Lee thinks he deserves to be in Ottawa and that wasnt and isnt the case. Lee doesnt have the assests Kuba has to "survive" either. He doesnt have a shot, his size, his inteligence, or expierence.

There are about 3 guys who have moved ahead of Lee on the depth chart right when they were signed. His spot on the roster next year is anything but a sure thing.

10OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Dash wrote:You can't use my logic about Lee and compare it to Shannon at all. If Cowen or Wiercioch make the team past 9 games, they lose a year off their contract, and unless they are playing amazing, why bother using up a year and let Lee play (if he earns it, which is still far from being determined). Murray did not have to re-sign Lee, he could have traded him. If he can move Nikulin he can move Lee.

Shannon lost his spot to guys under contract, not rookies. We had Cheechoo and Donovan too.

As it stands now, he's under contract so basically it looks like it is his spot to lose.

I think they want to win... could be wrong though. Usually better players help them along when that's the case.

If they carry 7 D men, then Lee might be in Ottawa as the healthy scratch, that's about the only spot that he will fill in to start the year. He is literally next year's Picard.

11OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

There's no guaranteeing that Cowen or Wiercioch or Gryba are a better option than Lee though. Until training camp and pre-season and until the final rosters are announced, Lee has just as good a shot at a roster spot as any of those guys, likely better because of the contract. Murray might look at moving him, as any GM would explore their options.

Partnering Lee up with Phillips or Kuba might make a huge difference. Maybe the difference is from Lee's play or maybe he just looks better beside one of them and they trade him mid-season and then Wiercioch gets a shot.

12OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Lee was always partnered with Kuba or Phillips and he was awful. That wont make a lick of difference, unless, like I said, he changes his games and decides to carve a role for himself.

Murray AGAIN has stated that Cowen and Weircoich will see time next year in Ottawa and unless Murray screws up royally picking up a UFA or trading for another D man, Lee will not be playing on opening night.

I will bet you anything, anythng at all that will be the case. I dont think there is a shot in hell barring an injury or failure by Murray in the off season that Lee is playing. He might be the 7th D man, but that's it.

13OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Saying what Murray said could mean anywhere from 1-9 games at the beginning of the season, or could mean at the end of the season.

14OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Dash wrote:Saying what Murray said could mean anywhere from 1-9 games at the beginning of the season, or could mean at the end of the season.

Ummm, no it doesnt. He would have to be on the roster after the trade deadline in which case The WHL season is not over, thus it would be pointless. If Cowen plays in The NHL it will be to start the year, you dont call kids up from Jr unless it's an emergency call up. Cowen will not be a call up, not sure how many times I have to say that...

Im not saying Cowen makes the team out of camp, Im saying if he play in The NHL next year it will be out of camp.

15OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Empty Re: OFFSEASON TALK: Defence! Mon May 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Cowen played a game at the end of this regular season. And I didn't think we were just talking about Cowen, I thought we were talking about Wiercioch and Gryba, etc.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum