GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will the Sens make the playoffs in 2016/17

+8
Ev
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
spader
tim1_2
PTFlea
Flo The Action
Cap'n Clutch
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Where will the Sens be in May 2017?

Will the Sens make the playoffs in 2016/17 - Page 4 Vote_lcap20%Will the Sens make the playoffs in 2016/17 - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Will the Sens make the playoffs in 2016/17 - Page 4 Vote_lcap230%Will the Sens make the playoffs in 2016/17 - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 30% [ 3 ]
Will the Sens make the playoffs in 2016/17 - Page 4 Vote_lcap250%Will the Sens make the playoffs in 2016/17 - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 5 ]
Will the Sens make the playoffs in 2016/17 - Page 4 Vote_lcap220%Will the Sens make the playoffs in 2016/17 - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I legitimately believe we are better than pretty much every team in our division. There isn't a team in the entire conference who scares me and who I think is much better than the sens. The league is completely wide open. We are going to be good. Really good.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:I legitimately believe we are better than pretty much every team in our division. There isn't a team in the entire conference who scares me and who I think is much better than the sens. The league is completely wide open. We are going to be good. Really good.

Heard this exact thing last year and look what happened.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PTFlea wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I don't see them making any major changes and selling us on guys that will likely be good to great in 3 or 4 years if handled properly.  Don't forget there was hype about Cowen, Rundblad and a few other "can't miss" prospects that didn't pan out.  The Sens seem hesitant to make any really significant changes.

I hope I'm wrong though.  

But they traded both of those guys.  Rundblad for Turris and Cowen for Phaneuf,  arguably two core members of the team.

Not to mention Phaneuf should come in even more confident and relaxed than when we acquired him.

Not really the point. The point is we've got some "Can't miss" guys in Chabot, White and some others but there are no guarantees and even then it's years away. Let's also not forget they traded both Bishop and Lehner and retained Anderson (Won't be good enough when we're finally contenders) and the Ham (Doesn't burgle anymore) burglar.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I don't see them making any major changes and selling us on guys that will likely be good to great in 3 or 4 years if handled properly.  Don't forget there was hype about Cowen, Rundblad and a few other "can't miss" prospects that didn't pan out.  The Sens seem hesitant to make any really significant changes.

I hope I'm wrong though.  

But they traded both of those guys.  Rundblad for Turris and Cowen for Phaneuf,  arguably two core members of the team.

Not to mention Phaneuf should come in even more confident and relaxed than when we acquired him.

Not really the point.  The point is we've got some "Can't miss" guys in Chabot, White and some others but there are no guarantees and even then it's years away.  Let's also not forget they traded both Bishop and Lehner and retained Anderson (Won't be good enough when we're finally contenders) and the Ham (Doesn't burgle anymore) burglar.

Not sure what you're talking about. Hammond was injured in the pre-season and then again with the concussion. And through all that, if you look at his 5v5 play he was very good. There's something that needs to be done for his PK SV%. Hopefully the new guys on the coaching staff can figure it out (take fewer penalties, improve defensive coverage on the PK, fix whatever he was doing wrong when team was short-handed) and then we have a guy who can legitimately push Andy to be better.

Outside of Price, who are the outstanding goalies in the East? I think our goaltending story is as good as most teams.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

I hope I'm wrong though.  

Not really the point.  The point is we've got some "Can't miss" guys in Chabot, White and some others but there are no guarantees and even then it's years away.  Let's also not forget they traded both Bishop and Lehner and retained Anderson (Won't be good enough when we're finally contenders) and the Ham (Doesn't burgle anymore) burglar.

Not sure what you're talking about.  Hammond was injured in the pre-season and then again with the concussion.   And through all that, if you look at his 5v5 play he was very good.  There's something that needs to be done for his PK SV%.  Hopefully the new guys on the coaching staff can figure it out (take fewer penalties, improve defensive coverage on the PK, fix whatever he was doing wrong when team was short-handed) and then we have a guy who can legitimately push Andy to be better.

Outside of Price, who are the outstanding goalies in the East?  I think our goaltending story is as good as most teams.

Holtby?

I think we're all guilty of over-estimating the worth of prospects. Until they produce at the NHL level they really don't have any substantive value. Chabot now may be at his highest point in terms of value -or- he could very well be at this lowest point. In many cases the Sens (Murray) has held on to prospects for too long (Cowen, Prince, Puempel, Wiercioch, Lee to name a few). Perhaps the organization isn't quite as good at drafting/assessing player value. I mean look at Lazar. One or two more bad years and you have to start questioning if he's even an NHLer anymore.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Holtby will be in a tough spot to repeat the past season, and also don't forget, as great as his season was, his SV% was not fantastic. Yes, tying the record for wins means an automatic Vezina, it was more a case of a team playing very well in front of him than him playing out of his mind.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bottom line, you have Price (who may get injured) and then you have 15 other teams whose goalies could get on a hot streak.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Teams with better goalies (without question):

Montreal
Washington
New York
Pittsburgh
Boston
Florida

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

I hope I'm wrong though.  

Not sure what you're talking about.  Hammond was injured in the pre-season and then again with the concussion.   And through all that, if you look at his 5v5 play he was very good.  There's something that needs to be done for his PK SV%.  Hopefully the new guys on the coaching staff can figure it out (take fewer penalties, improve defensive coverage on the PK, fix whatever he was doing wrong when team was short-handed) and then we have a guy who can legitimately push Andy to be better.

Outside of Price, who are the outstanding goalies in the East?  I think our goaltending story is as good as most teams.

Holtby?

I think we're all guilty of over-estimating the worth of prospects. Until they produce at the NHL level they really don't have any substantive value. Chabot now may be at his highest point in terms of value -or- he could very well be at this lowest point. In many cases the Sens (Murray) has held on to prospects for too long (Cowen, Prince, Puempel, Wiercioch, Lee to name a few). Perhaps the organization isn't quite as good at drafting/assessing player value. I mean look at Lazar. One or two more bad years and you have to start questioning if he's even an NHLer anymore.
There's no question lazar is an NHler. It's whether he can be a point producer or not.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:Teams with better goalies (without question):

Montreal
Washington
New York
Pittsburgh
Boston
Florida

Exactly!

- Unknown Author

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

I hope I'm wrong though.  

A young goalie with a high 5v5 SV% (Hammond was almost at the top of the league) is a great thing to have. It's a good indicator of future success.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Montreal
Washington
New York
Pittsburgh
Boston
Florida

For one year Anderson set an NHL SV% record. He's due for another good season, while Lundqvist/Luongo are getting older; Murray is unproven over a long season (Cup and all). All are good goalies, just saying that other than Price I don't see anyone who can't stumble.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Montreal
Washington
New York
Pittsburgh
Boston
Florida

For one year Anderson set an NHL SV% record.  He's due for another good season, while Lundqvist/Luongo are getting older; Murray is unproven over a long season (Cup and all).  All are good goalies, just saying that other than Price I don't see anyone who can't stumble.

When did he set and nhl save perecentage record? Wtf?

And I meant fleury not Murray.

Lundwvisr and luongo getting older is irrelevant when comparing to somebody who is older and getting older.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Anderson holds the NHL all-time single season SV% record at .941 in 2012-13 (just beat out Brian Elliott's .940 from a year or two earlier).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's such an irrelevant record in 24 games

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Be that as it may, it proves that Anderson is capable of playing above his career average over a full season. He would have gotten the Vezina that year if not for Kreider.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Be that as it may, it proves that Anderson is capable of playing above his career average over a full season.  He would have gotten the Vezina that year if not for Kreider.

How does playing at that level for 24 games prove he can play over his career average over a full season? That makes ZERO sense

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Be that as it may, it proves that Anderson is capable of playing above his career average over a full season.  He would have gotten the Vezina that year if not for Kreider.

How does playing at that level for 24 games prove he can play over his career average over a full season? That makes ZERO sense

I didn't create the definitions of what counts as a full season. The guy got Kreidered and missed games. There was no reason whatsoever to think he would not have played at that level the rest of the season if he did not get injured as he'd already shown, in the past, that he can play a lot of games and maintain those stats.

Anderson can definitely outplay all those goalies in a given season. Will that season be this season? No idea.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum