GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

You want the Sens to make the playoffs?

+3
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1You want the Sens to make the playoffs? Empty You want the Sens to make the playoffs? Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Then start looking at things from the goalie out. This team is buying into the defense-first concept that Hartsburg said he would instill, yet they aren't scoring goals. Surprising? A little, but they were having some problems scoring goals last year as well when Redden and Meszaros were here. Now our D is less mobile. Beat the dead horse as much as possible here, but try to get a bonafide number 1 D-man. All teams having success have a number one, we do not.

However, is D the problem? Yes, for the most part, they're slow and can't rush the puck up ice. How about Vermette and Fisher tanking? Can you put all the blame on these guys? The simple answer is no. We did Vermette a major disservice by letting Stillman walk and not getting anyone of his skill level in to compliment Vermette (and Fisher). And when I say disservice, I mean you snuffed this boy's production.

So what do you do? Trade Vermette or help him? If there's a trade coming with Florida or Vancouver (etc. etc.), then Vermette is gone. But what if Bryan Murray gets a little creative - like today.

We need some veteran swagger on this team. We need some guys who have scored at the NHL level and still have the fire burning to score again. Two prime candidates are:

1.Mark Recchi
That's right, 40 point in 53 games last year with Atlanta, 14 points in 23 games with a horrid Tampa Bay team this year. He has speed, he still has gas in the tank. Inquiring to the Dung for brains in TB, would be well worth while. He can play both wings - well.

2.Brendan Shanahan
Pretty obvious right now that this guy would turn Fisher and Vermette around pretty quick. He has a bullet of a one-timer, can still read plays well, but has slowed down. Added benefit is he can play both wings.

If you can make these two moves happen, then the Sens would be in better shape immediately. Talking Shanny into it would be hard to impossible, talking TB into it, might be a little easier.

504Heater wrote:Then start looking at things from the goalie out. This team is buying into the defense-first concept that Hartsburg said he would instill, yet they aren't scoring goals. Surprising? A little, but they were having some problems scoring goals last year as well when Redden and Meszaros were here. Now our D is less mobile. Beat the dead horse as much as possible here, but try to get a bonafide number 1 D-man. All teams having success have a number one, we do not.

However, is D the problem? Yes, for the most part, they're slow and can't rush the puck up ice. How about Vermette and Fisher tanking? Can you put all the blame on these guys? The simple answer is no. We did Vermette a major disservice by letting Stillman walk and not getting anyone of his skill level in to compliment Vermette (and Fisher). And when I say disservice, I mean you snuffed this boy's production.

So what do you do? Trade Vermette or help him? If there's a trade coming with Florida or Vancouver (etc. etc.), then Vermette is gone. But what if Bryan Murray gets a little creative - like today.

We need some veteran swagger on this team. We need some guys who have scored at the NHL level and still have the fire burning to score again. Two prime candidates are:

1.Mark Recchi
That's right, 40 point in 53 games last year with Atlanta, 14 points in 23 games with a horrid Tampa Bay team this year. He has speed, he still has gas in the tank. Inquiring to the Dung for brains in TB, would be well worth while. He can play both wings - well.

2.Brendan Shanahan
Pretty obvious right now that this guy would turn Fisher and Vermette around pretty quick. He has a bullet of a one-timer, can still read plays well, but has slowed down. Added benefit is he can play both wings.

If you can make these two moves happen, then the Sens would be in better shape immediately. Talking Shanny into it would be hard to impossible, talking TB into it, might be a little easier.

Honestly, I don't see either being a difference maker. Shanahan is slower than my grandmother....and she's dead. Our team speed is already a weakness, and Shanny would make it worse.

Dont get me wrong. They both have something left to give. Both are grizzled vets who've won a cup, but I think with guys like Smith, Phillips and Alfie, we have enough leadership, and most of this crew has been to the show before so they know what it takes.

I'd just rather not spend our cap space on someone I don't feel makes that much of a difference. The only movement Murray should be thinking about right now is bringing in a PMD.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

In this specific case, I want Recchi to come in and compliment Vermette's speed with a player that can actually put the puck in the net. It's a 2 for 1, you get Recchi, there's a decent chance you get Vermette going.

As for Shanny, we can only hope he pots us some goals.

Recchi would cost us around 1.0 million and be a UFA next season. It's worth the risk.

I would still get the puck mover, but at this point, the need to score goals is dire as well.

Whether you want the team to or not, haha they are not going to, at least not the current roster. Even with the addition of J Bo (if it ever happens) I still have my doubts.

Do I want them to, no, because I dont want to have this same team for the next 4 years with absolutly no ability to makes moves with all the NTC's and a serious lack of young tallent. Yeah, we have some good 3rd, 4th line guys coming up but nothing, right now anyways that can be called a sure shot top 6 forward.

504Heater wrote:In this specific case, I want Recchi to come in and compliment Vermette's speed with a player that can actually put the puck in the net. It's a 2 for 1, you get Recchi, there's a decent chance you get Vermette going.

As for Shanny, we can only hope he pots us some goals.

Recchi would cost us around 1.0 million and be a UFA next season. It's worth the risk.

I would still get the puck mover, but at this point, the need to score goals is dire as well.

I agree...we are dead last in goals for I believe. However, I think we look for a PMD, and depending on the cost (Vermette almost assuredly), we evaluate from there.

I don't know how many moves Murray will be able to make ,so for my money, the move to get a PMD has to be the first move. The others can be looked at afterwards if it's feasible.

EDIT: MUHUAHAHA! BACK THE Diddle UP Y'ALL! 600 posts.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Whether you want the team to or not, haha they are not going to, at least not the current roster. Even with the addition of J Bo (if it ever happens) I still have my doubts.

Do I want them to, no, because I dont want to have this same team for the next 4 years with absolutly no ability to makes moves with all the NTC's and a serious lack of young tallent. Yeah, we have some good 3rd, 4th line guys coming up but nothing, right now anyways that can be called a sure shot top 6 forward.

I would say you're right, there's little to no chance on making the playoffs, but I would also say that Hartsburg's defensive message has been sold to the team, now...how can we score goals.

We're a four game winning streak away from being in a playoff spot - and a four game losing streak of being buried from here on out. We have the goalie who seems to be on top of his game, we have a D that is slow, but effective. Now what?

4 years from now you'll be smiling watching Karlsson, Wiercioch, O'Brien, Zubov, Elliot - hopefully Foligno as a gritty 25 goal guy, hopefully Winchester as a gritty 15 goal guy, Z.Smith and probably one or two major UFA signings. There will be undoubtedly less use for Vermette, Kelly, Phillips and potentially even Mike Fisher - and by then his NMC will be a very limited NTC. Hearing what I'm hearing about some of the talent coming up on the backend makes me think that the pieces are starting to come into place - it's a matter of time and patience.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock34 wrote:
I agree...we are dead last in goals for I believe. However, I think we look for a PMD, and depending on the cost (Vermette almost assuredly), we evaluate from there.

I don't know how many moves Murray will be able to make ,so for my money, the move to get a PMD has to be the first move. The others can be looked at afterwards if it's feasible.

EDIT: MUHUAHAHA! BACK THE Diddle UP Y'ALL! 600 posts.

LOL.

Get your puck mover and Recchi and start having some fun. We have the room.

504Heater wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Whether you want the team to or not, haha they are not going to, at least not the current roster. Even with the addition of J Bo (if it ever happens) I still have my doubts.

I would say you're right, there's little to no chance on making the playoffs, but I would also say that Hartsburg's defensive message has been sold to the team, now...how can we score goals.

We're a four game winning streak away from being in a playoff spot - and a four game losing streak of being buried from here on out. We have the goalie who seems to be on top of his game, we have a D that is slow, but effective. Now what?

4 years from now you'll be smiling watching Karlsson, Wiercioch, O'Brien, Zubov, Elliot - hopefully Foligno as a gritty 25 goal guy, hopefully Winchester as a gritty 15 goal guy, Z.Smith and probably one or two major UFA signings. There will be undoubtedly less use for Vermette, Kelly, Phillips and potentially even Mike Fisher - and by then his NMC will be a very limited NTC. Hearing what I'm hearing about some of the talent coming up on the backend makes me think that the pieces are starting to come into place - it's a matter of time and patience.

Can I get an AMEN my brothers and sisters?

504Heater wrote:

Murray has drafted well everywhere he has gone and he has stocked up on Dmen prospects. Zubov looks alright but he isnt a sure fire top 6 guy, neither is anyone who hasnt played in the NHL.

There is so much work that has to be done on this Sens team its depressing. Murray has gotten it off to a good start but it's no where near complete. He found a gem in Auld though.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, I haven't read the full dissertation but I have to call BS-lite on Vermette's "disservice". He played 8 games with Spezza and Heatley and got, what, two assists? This has been going on for a few years now. Even when Stillman was here and the line was clicking, it wasn't for a long stretch (I remember about 3 games in a row the line was our best, then they calmed down).

OK, back to reading the rest Smile

504Heater wrote:Then start looking at things from the goalie out. This team is buying into the defense-first concept that Hartsburg said he would instill, yet they aren't scoring goals. Surprising? A little, but they were having some problems scoring goals last year as well when Redden and Meszaros were here. Now our D is less mobile. Beat the dead horse as much as possible here, but try to get a bonafide number 1 D-man. All teams having success have a number one, we do not.

1.Mark Recchi

2.Brendan Shanahan

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:OK, I haven't read the full dissertation but I have to call BS-lite on Vermette's "disservice". He played 8 games with Spezza and Heatley and got, what, two assists? This has been going on for a few years now. Even when Stillman was here and the line was clicking, it wasn't for a long stretch (I remember about 3 games in a row the line was our best, then they calmed down).

OK, back to reading the rest Smile

That's true as well. He got his chances and missed.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Give me some of the highlites then of the work that lies ahead for this Sens team Neely.

- Unknown Author

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Best is yet to come?
Don't forget Hedman on that list Razz

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:
Murray has drafted well everywhere he has gone and he has stocked up on Dmen prospects. Zubov looks alright but he isnt a sure fire top 6 guy, neither is anyone who hasnt played in the NHL.

There is so much work that has to be done on this Sens team its depressing. Murray has gotten it off to a good start but it's no where near complete. He found a gem in Auld though.

I don't see it. What do we have to do? We need a puck mover - actually 2 probably, but let's start with one. We need to get one big puck mover, sign him to a contract (this can also be done next summer), then begin looking for a real sniper to play with Fisher.

This all comes down to making some deals, continuing to draft well - and perhaps finding a hidden gem who can work for us. It's why Murray's a GM and we aren't.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Give me some of the highlites then of the work that lies ahead for this Sens team Neely.

They need to develope some young that can come in here and produce up front, right now there is no one in the system. Maybe O'Brien and to a lesser extent Zubov and Smith can come in and produce, but to say they are top 6 forward remains to be seen.

They need to re-evaluate the core. Is this really the core the team wants? Can the Sens win with this core? For over a year now the answer is a clear cut no. So, then what do you do with that core, who stays, who goes? I dont have the answer but thats a question that will need to be answered.

Do they want to stock pile draft pics or try and turn it around? Do they go for the rebuild with a minor blow up? Or do they just nuke the current team? Then who do you draft? My guess is that you draft some tallent up front but if the team actually gets a shot at Hedman, its a no brainer. IF we actually do have all this young D, do you start to sign some resposnsible vets up front to support a young D core so they dont lose condifence and ruin what could possible be one of the best young D groups in the league.

Free agent signings. Who are the right guys to bring in next year and going forward? Who will be a positive influence on the younger guys and can help the team win. Murray already struck oil with Auld, can he do it again?

There are more things than that, but def a lot of work to be done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum