GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs

+15
BigRig
SensHulk
Tuk Tuk
Amnesia021
Hoags
LeCaptain
TheAvatar
wprager
Ev
dennycrane
Flo The Action
Riprock
stempniaksen
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Empty The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:34 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

1.Washington
2.Pittsburgh
3.Boston
4.Philadelphia
5.New Jersey
6.Buffalo
7.Tampa Bay
8.Montreal
---------------------------
9.Carolina
10.Ottawa
11.Atlanta
12.Toronto
13.NY Rangers
14.NY Islanders
15.Florida

That is utterly moronic if you don't me saying. Last year we finish 5th and almost dispose of the Pens with an undermanned squad, this year with the addition of the best PP QB out there, we're to fall to 10th? I understand the misgivings about our goaltending, but give me a break.

Also, Tampa Bay is a greatly improved team on paper, but we have to play the games.

Finally, what exactly has Montreal done to get better besides trading their top goalie for a center? I don't understand this predicted standings, but I've been saying for a long, long time that The Hockey News had lost a lot of respectability in recent years. This doesn't do a lot to change that perception for me.

Thumbs Down

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Meh, I don't really have an issue with publications putting us out of the playoffs, because we are weak on paper. Fortunatly for us the games are played on the ice and in that respect with the addition of Gonchar and the progression of Karlsson and the biggest wildcard of all (Clouston) then we should be fine.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Whatever, we know how good our team is, and we seem to play better when counted out.

Two teams I disagree with are New Jersey and Buffalo. I'd even worry about Boston being in there.

Jersey, with or without Kovalchuk, has an old goalie on the decline, and I just don't think they have what it takes.

Buffalo will have to put all its faith in Myers and Miller (hey, M&M lol). And Vanek? They really haven't done a whole lot.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:Meh, I don't really have an issue with publications putting us out of the playoffs, because we are weak on paper. Fortunatly for us the games are played on the ice and in that respect with the addition of Gonchar and the progression of Karlsson and the biggest wildcard of all (Clouston) then we should be fine.

I don't agree. I think we're lacking three things:

1.A sniper
2.A little toughness on the backend
3.Consistency in net

Odds are one or two, if not all three will be fixed/answered sooner rather than later. Otherwise this is a good squad IMO.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

We say that about New Jersey every year though. I won't write them off until they prove that they aren't a well oiled machine.

I agree about the Sabres though, that defence is absolutly one of the weakest in the entire league with the loss of Lydman and Tallinder.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:Meh, I don't really have an issue with publications putting us out of the playoffs, because we are weak on paper. Fortunatly for us the games are played on the ice and in that respect with the addition of Gonchar and the progression of Karlsson and the biggest wildcard of all (Clouston) then we should be fine.

1.A sniper
3.Consistency in net

Odds are one or two, if not all three will be fixed/answered sooner rather than later. Otherwise this is a good squad IMO.

We know that, because we watch this team game in and game out.

That being said, I could see how others could look at our roster and wonder about our goaltending, our aging vets, can our kids continue to progress, ect.

On paper we are probably a 7-12 team, but on the ice we are anywhere from 3-8 imo.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Okay, fair enough, that sounds right.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i like reding THN and go there every other day to see what's new... but on this one they are out to lunch! sure i'll admit we are lacking a few things on this team but appart from a few teams up top who isn't? my guess is they are most likely leafs fans over there. constant underestimating us. well for a couple of years we gave them that opportunity and maybe they juast can't see the improvements.
i think we fall anywhere between 7th and 3rd this year. it's hard to predict with the number of injuries these days.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I don't know that I disagree with THN that much. I think there could be as little as 10 points separating 6-14 in the standings this year.

I do think the Sens will make it in, but I also think people are putting too much faith in Pascale Leclaire's great play for a game and a half in the playoffs. The success of the team will be dictated by how the goalies handle the 300 shots that were blocked by Volchenkov and Sutton, because Gonchar and Lee sure aren't getting in the way of those.

I see the Sens ahead of Buffalo and Montreal this year. THN's predictions are very pedestrian.

10The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Empty Re: The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The only thing I don't like about this prediction is that Carolina is 9th. They will probably finish at the bottom, as they should. They said it themselves that they are rebuilding, so they might as well try to finish last to grab one of the top picks.

Well, i also don't liek how Montreal is ahead of us, but I guess they had to do that since they had such a great playoff run. I think Buffalo will be better than Montreal, and we will be better than both.

We very well could be a bubble type team, as I have no faith in our goaltending at all...but this would be my early Top 8:

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. New Jersey
6. Ottawa
7. Buffalo
8. NYR

I'm not a huge fan of NJ's team, but I will never discount them again. Brodeur is still an elite goalie and with Kovalchuk their offense will be great.

That being said, The Hockey News is crap, especially their Yearbook, which leads people to the basement of their fantasy hockey leagues!

11The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Empty Re: The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Where's the steaming turd smiley??!

12The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Empty Re: The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:30 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We should have one for this instance specifically.

I'm not gonna sit here and say the Sens are the best team in the East - far from it, but I truly believe we're a better team than last year with a fresh slate for Leclaire, Elliott a year older and wiser, Spezza seemingly feeling better, Volchenkov replaced by Gonchar, a full year of Karlsson, Regin's maturation, Michalek being with us from the very beginning of the summer to the start of training camp (it means a lot), hopefully a renewed Kovalev.

Alfie, Kovalev and Gonchar will all lose some steam as well, but this is a young, hungry, skilled club.

Still don't understand why THN did that this year after predicting us to come in 9th last year and being flat wrong.

13The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Empty Re: The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:59 pm

stempniaksen wrote:We say that about New Jersey every year though. I won't write them off until they prove that they aren't a well oiled machine.

I agree about the Sabres though, that defence is absolutly one of the weakest in the entire league with the loss of Lydman and Tallinder.

Jersey is going to miss Paul Martin badly I think. He's very underrated and really helped that team when he was healthy. Tack on another year to Marty and I don't know how good they'll be. I think they'll be competitive but I don't think they are a well oiled machine by any means.

14The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Empty Re: The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:01 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

1.A sniper
3.Consistency in net

Wow, I'm surprised. Wink

15The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Empty Re: The Hockey News: Sens to miss playoffs Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:02 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

You know, one thing I love is being the underdog. I think this will be good for this team!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum