GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
spader
PTFlea
tim1_2
Ev
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Flo The Action
NEELY
wprager
LeCaptain
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 17]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

It's funny, though, how many here were saying things like "The Leafs are making the right moves -- I don't like it". Then when they got off to a good start sure, some were saying "Just wait for their usual mid-season melt down" (and, boy, were they right!) but others -- admit it -- were thinking the Leafs were actually getting better. Remember, this is a team that, just a couple years ago were up 4-1 in the third in game 7 against Boston. It was the advanced stats guys that were pressing the panic button early on in the season when the Leafs were contending for the lead in the East.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

They were making solid moves, I like a lot of the players they have brought in... but having your 8 million dollar player coming into camp 15lbs over weight and his best buddy laughing about it, that's the crap that rip teams apart and it did.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They made some good signings this summer, but it's like trying to spray Lysol in an outhouse. Their core is rotten and needs to be blown up.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They have made decent moves lately, but are saddled with the dark clouds that are Kessel, Phaneuf, and Clarkson.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Their core isn't even that bad. If they think Phaneuf is a problem in any way they are looking the wrong way. He's a solid top 2, NHL D man without question. Again, look at Kessel and Bozak, those are your leaders up front and it's killed the team.

The one guy I actually feel bad for in that organization is Reimer, he was a guy who brought some stability to the team in nets out of no where and he was thrown under the bus time and time again for his teams warts.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kessel is a good player at least. What the hell are they gonna do with clarkson? And they're gonna have to eat phaneuf and his contract. I bet they get pennies on the dollar for him.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:They have made decent moves lately, but are saddled with the dark clouds that are Kessel, Phaneuf, and Clarkson.

I'm not a Phanuef fan but he gets way too much hate, way more than his fair share. He's not a captain, no but that's not on him.

Clarkson was a dumb deal and everyone knows it.

Kessel is the problem there, just like Spezza was in Ottawa. There's literally no difference other than *gulp* Spezza was a much harder working player on and off the ice than Kessel. (I feel dirty).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Spezza could at least stand up in front of the cameras and shoulder blame and/or say the "right" things. Kessel is just a kid who lashes out and makes the situation worse. He's a fat sack of selfish Dung, and I hope he drags Ol Bluey down for years to come.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yup, if there is one thing Spezza did well is take it on the chin and say nothing other than mostly positives things.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Spezza could at least stand up in front of the cameras and shoulder blame and/or say the "right" things.  Kessel is just a kid who lashes out and makes the situation worse.  He's a fat sack of selfish Dung, and I hope he drags Ol Bluey down for years to come.

That's pretty far off-base IMO. He's only done that once when the reporter asked a really stupid question. He actually doesn't talk a lot at all, good or bad.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Spezza could at least stand up in front of the cameras and shoulder blame and/or say the "right" things.  Kessel is just a kid who lashes out and makes the situation worse.  He's a fat sack of selfish Dung, and I hope he drags Ol Bluey down for years to come.

That's pretty far off-base IMO. He's only done that once when the reporter asked a really stupid question. He actually doesn't talk a lot at all, good or bad.

Nah, you just haven't been paying attention. He's dodged reporters and said stupid things plenty of times. His inability to just say the "right" thing in front of the cameras is such a distraction and detriment to that team.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:

Nah, you just haven't been paying attention.  He's dodged reporters and said stupid things plenty of times.  His inability to just say the "right" thing in front of the cameras is such a distraction and detriment to that team.

I think that speaks far more to the Dung market that constantly needs quotes from players than it does Kessel. He'd be far better off in Carolina or something

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:

He's a mentally weak person/player, he avoid the media, he doesn't listen to his coaches, when they rip on him he sulks on the ice, etc. It's pretty accurate what Tim said, not even close to off-base.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Ev wrote:

He's a mentally weak person/player, he avoid the media, he doesn't listen to his coaches, when they rip on him he sulks on the ice, etc.  It's pretty accurate what Tim said, not even close to off-base.

Ok but those aren't necessarily faults, that's just his personality, and it's not really a bad thing. We rip on a guy like Kane for being obnoxious and then Kessel gets ripped for being Jay Cutlerish. I wouldn't say he's mentally weak, just a bit shy and insecure. You can make it work for all personalities, but like I said he is not a good fit in a place like Toronto.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Not being able to work your a$$ off in the off-season after signing a 60 million dollar contract is disgusting, Ev. I work a $50,000 a year job and I pretty much guarantee you I work harder than him in the gym and probably more hours in there as well. That's the kind of think I will never understand... I get Kane being a DB, I get guys partying, etc. I don't like it but I get it. Kessel? Guy is a joke of a professional.

Comparing Kessel to Kane, well they are complete opposite in their personalities but still are complete cancer's on their teams.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Not being able to work your a$$ off in the off-season after signing a 60 million dollar contract is disgusting, Ev.  I work a $50,000 a year job and I pretty much guarantee you I work harder than him in the gym and probably more hours in there as well.  That's the kind of think I will never understand... I get Kane being a DB, I get guys partying, etc.  I don't like it but I get it.  Kessel?  Guy is a joke of a professional.

Comparing Kessel to Kane, well they are complete opposite in their personalities but still are complete cancer's on their teams.  

I'm not saying it is right to not work out and train really hard in the off-season but clearly the guy doesn't need it as much as other players. His natural talent and lower body is already superior to the vast majority of NHLers without work. Yes you would like to see the effort, but the effort and production is always there when it matters, on the ice in an offensive role. Lately it hasn't been because of the coaching change and all the Dung thrown his way so I think he needs out ASAP. I don't think Kessel is a cancer but if he is I can work with a guy like him far more than a DB like Kane.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

That will change very quickly, you can only cheat for so long before it catches up and it's starting too. Yah, his natural talent has taken him this far but it's going to be a long 7 seasons more if he doesn't change that. Heatley is the perfect example of a guy who didn't give a f*** off the ice. Kessel is headed in the exact same direction.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:That will change very quickly, you can only cheat for so long before it catches up and it's starting too.  Yah, his natural talent has taken him this far but it's going to be a long 7 seasons more if he doesn't change that.  Heatley is the perfect example of a guy who didn't give a f*** off the ice.  Kessel is headed in the exact same direction.

I have to disagree there, Heatley was never the fastest guy and he screwed up his knee in the crash and then his shoulder afterwards. We will see what happens to Kessel but the guy never gets injured and is one of the fastest guys in the league. Hell, I think training might ruin his game and potentially lead to injuries if he took it too hard.

I think all he needs is to get out of Toronto and find a coach who can give him some TLC and nurture him. He needs a father type guy to coddle him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum