GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
spader
PTFlea
tim1_2
Ev
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Flo The Action
NEELY
wprager
LeCaptain
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 17]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Because they will pay him whatever he wants.

And also it's a challenge and he'll probably get along well with Shannahan.

dennycrane

Veteran
Veteran

Monumental ego on Babcock (from what I have read) and he would relish the challenge. And he would spike pay rates for coaches. Top paid coaches now make less than Colin Greening.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yup, ego and nothing short of it. Highest paid coach, in the biggest market, on a team that hasn't won anything in generations. It's Babcock's job if he wants it, he knows it, and I think he takes it. That said they better start adding some better players because he's going to fall flat on his face like all the others before him.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Yup, ego and nothing short of it.  Highest paid coach, in the biggest market, on a team that hasn't won anything in generations.  It's Babcock's job if he wants it, he knows it, and I think he takes it.  That said they better start adding some better players because he's going to fall flat on his face like all the others before him.
and what a glorious day that will be for all of us to enjoy.

today is a good day also. Laugh1

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would love to see Babcock try and coexist with Kessel, Bozak, Phaneuf, and the rest of the primadonna pansy bunghole.

Kessel was being asked in a media scrum earlier today if he was "difficult to coach". Kessel did not enjoy this line of questioning.

Also, Ron Wilson was on TSN radio in Toronto this morning and basically said that he had wanted to bench Phaneuf and Kessel when he was the head coach there, but didn't have the balls to do it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:I would love to see Babcock try and coexist with Kessel, Bozak, Phaneuf, and the rest of the primadonna pansy bunghole.

Kessel was being asked in a media scrum earlier today if he was "difficult to coach". Kessel did not enjoy this line of questioning.

Also, Ron Wilson was on TSN radio in Toronto this morning and basically said that he had wanted to bench Phaneuf and Kessel when he was the head coach there, but didn't have the balls to do it.

Did you hear what Kessel said? He snapped at one of the reporters "You think it's my fault?"

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yep. Kessel is a jerk off.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Kessel is a coach killer, there are a lot of them around the league. Your #1 guy has to play all 200 feet otherwise everything else fails.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Kessel is a coach killer, there are a lot of them around the league.  Your #1 guy has to play all 200 feet otherwise everything else fails.
reminds me of someone else from around here.....

... Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 6 852933671

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone think there're sour grapes here?

Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 6 Screen10

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:Anyone think there're sour grapes here?

I think it's the constant story in that market.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:Anyone think there're sour grapes here?

Nope, think it's the truth and Wilson has no obligation to hold back.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hilarious that people think this is some kind of revelation. All you have to do is listen to Kessel talk for 30 seconds to understand that he has character issues and likely isn't a guy you want on your hockey team. There's a reason the Bs traded him, and it wasn't just because they were getting a couple first round picks.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I wouldn't go so far as yo say I wouldn't want Kessel on my team vs I wouldn't want him as part of the core let alone the leading man on a team. He has a place but it should be that of a Gaborik role.

This has been known for a while and it's finally come to a head, things in Leafs land should be interesting the rest of the way you just hope they don't pass the Sens for a better pick at this point.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Hilarious that people think this is some kind of revelation. All you have to do is listen to Kessel talk for 30 seconds to understand that he has character issues and likely isn't a guy you want on your hockey team. There's a reason the Bs traded him, and it wasn't just because they were getting a couple first round picks.

Sorry, who thinks that this is some kind of revelation? It's certainly topical though.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Hilarious that people think this is some kind of revelation. All you have to do is listen to Kessel talk for 30 seconds to understand that he has character issues and likely isn't a guy you want on your hockey team. There's a reason the Bs traded him, and it wasn't just because they were getting a couple first round picks.

Sorry, who thinks that this is some kind of revelation?

The Toronto media.  It takes the coach getting canned before they start digging at the players.

Watching shows like Road the Winter Classic (and HBO's 24/7 from years past) has just taught me that coaching isn't as important as most people think it is.  If players aren't self-starters and motivated to do what it takes to WIN, then there's only so much you can get from them.  I think Kessel and Bozak are good buddies who are more concerned with what video game they are going to play after the game then what is actually happening in the game.

Kessel is 8th in goals, 9th in points, and 676th in +/-.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:I wouldn't go so far as yo say I wouldn't want Kessel on my team vs I wouldn't want him as part of the core let alone the leading man on a team.  He has a place but it should be that of a Gaborik role.  

This has been known for a while and it's finally come to a head, things in Leafs land should be interesting the rest of the way you just hope they don't pass the Sens for a better pick at this point.

Think for a minute before answering this. Imagine you were the Leafs GM and you had to identify the core before starting out on a rebuild. Who would you think were the untouchables in that room? Ignore prospects, just the guys on the roster.

OK, maybe a minute isn't enough.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Pretty candid interview with Carlyle:
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/07/randy-carlyle-opens-up-about-being-fired-by-leafs

He was over in Sundbury after driving his wife there to be with her brother who was dying of ALS (he passed away the day after Carlyle was fired) and Nonis texted him requesting to meet at 8 the next morning:

He knew where I was because I told him I needed to drive my mother-in-law and my wife to Sudbury...So there was a red flag automatically... So I just said, ‘Call me. And we had a conversation. And I said, ‘I’m not going to drive five hours back and through a snow storm to get fired. You might as well do it now.’

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum