GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
spader
PTFlea
tim1_2
Ev
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Flo The Action
NEELY
wprager
LeCaptain
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 17]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Really, if you're hiring the right people, this could be a good thing for Ol' Bluey. Time will tell.

242Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 17 Empty Re: Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:49 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Really, if you're hiring the right people, this could be a good thing for Ol' Bluey.  Time will tell.

I don't disagree, but hiring *four* sounds a bit over the top. I see analytics as something like a video coach. Never had a need for them before Roger started, now pretty much every team has one. It's just one more tool that the coach can use (analytics could be used by coach, GM and scouts). It's not a substitute for anything, just one more tool. But you don't see any teams carrying four video coaches.

243Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 17 Empty Re: Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:31 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Really, if you're hiring the right people, this could be a good thing for Ol' Bluey.  Time will tell.

I don't disagree, but hiring *four* sounds a bit over the top.  I see analytics as something like a video coach.  Never had a need for them before Roger started, now pretty much every team has one.  It's just one more tool that the coach can use (analytics could be used by coach, GM and scouts).  It's not a substitute for anything, just one more tool.  But you don't see any teams carrying four video coaches.

Maybe the Leafs are also looking at inventing new metrics and looking at new ways of interpreting data and not just strictly analyzing stuff the way it's currently being done. If they get some smart minds that can work together, than there is a benefit to them.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:

I don't disagree, but hiring *four* sounds a bit over the top.  I see analytics as something like a video coach.  Never had a need for them before Roger started, now pretty much every team has one.  It's just one more tool that the coach can use (analytics could be used by coach, GM and scouts).  It's not a substitute for anything, just one more tool.  But you don't see any teams carrying four video coaches.

Maybe the Leafs are also looking at inventing new metrics and looking at new ways of interpreting data and not just strictly analyzing stuff the way it's currently being done.  If they get some smart minds that can work together, than there is a benefit to them.

Exactly. There's tons of raw data available, and they're developing new ways of looking at it all the time. The "video coach" analogy seems a little short sighted (and, frankly, ignorant).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You've all heard of "too many cooks". Analytics should be feeding one more set of recommendations into the management and when you have 4 guys you are not likely to get consensus. Anyhow, my opinion, that's all it is. With something this new wouldn't kill them to be a little more cautious. But, then again, the Leafs haven't done many things right in the last decade so they must feel they need to do something.

246Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 17 Empty Re: Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:21 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Steve Lloyd actually had a semi-intelligent point on the radio yesterday. He was wondering why Mike Babcock keeps going on and on about how good Nazem Kadri has been when Kadri's numbers are not good.

Steve figured that Babcock was either trying to polish the turd for a trade, or provide some sort of pyschological boost throgh the praise.

Kadri has 2G, 6A, for 8 points in 22 games. He's been getting 17-20 minutes per game, including lots of PP time.

Remember, he signed that one year $4M deal in the off-season. So he's either gonna be resigned or traded.

247Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 17 Empty Re: Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:38 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yikes, 8 whole points?

248Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 17 Empty Re: Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:40 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Yikes, 8 whole points?  

8 points with top-line duty.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Steve Lloyd actually had a semi-intelligent point on the radio yesterday.  He was wondering why Mike Babcock keeps going on and on about how good Nazem Kadri has been when Kadri's numbers are not good.

Steve figured that Babcock was either trying to polish the turd for a trade, or provide some sort of pyschological boost throgh the praise.

Kadri has 2G, 6A, for 8 points in 22 games.  He's been getting 17-20 minutes per game, including lots of PP time.

Remember, he signed that one year $4M deal in the off-season.  So he's either gonna be resigned or traded.

FWIW, he's also got 87 shots. Good for 6th in the league. I'm guessing his 2% shooting % will climb. He's snakebit.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Steve Lloyd actually had a semi-intelligent point on the radio yesterday.  He was wondering why Mike Babcock keeps going on and on about how good Nazem Kadri has been when Kadri's numbers are not good.

Kadri has 2G, 6A, for 8 points in 22 games.  He's been getting 17-20 minutes per game, including lots of PP time.

Remember, he signed that one year $4M deal in the off-season.  So he's either gonna be resigned or traded.
He has a ton of shots though and has been playing well

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:

He has a ton of shots though and has been playing well

Deja vu. I feel like someone just said that.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, a ton of shots can mean that you're getting a ton of opportunities, or it can mean that you're literally just firing from anywhere and not likely to score a lot of goals.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum