GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial)

+13
Riprock
Phoenix30
beedub
Acrobat
Mosky
dennycrane
Cronie
jamvan
wprager
NBDragonfly
PKC
PTFlea
Aetherial
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

46GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Wait until you see my team. You are going to Dung yourself.

47GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:32 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
dennycrane wrote:One more thing....when is the deadline to hand in our teams.

Mine is done..I think.

Oct.16th.

October 16? Is that right? That's like 12 days into the season. 55 total regular season games will have been played by then.

48GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:

October 16? Is that right? That's like 12 days into the season. 55 total regular season games will have been played by then.

I just did mine in a night. I didn't want to overwhelm people, but it's hard - and easy - if you take 20-30 minutes to just do it.

I don't want to keep franking around with the rules, but we could discuss moving it up a little, I'm sure most people are close to being done.

People just have to let me know their thoughts on the subject.

49GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:24 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think people should be done once training camps are finished. I think we can extend it past the first two days of games overseas. But they should be in I believe 24 hours before official puck drop in North America.

50GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:43 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

this is going to be a real good pool. Thanks Aetherial

51GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:08 pm

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:

I just did mine in a night. I didn't want to overwhelm people, but it's hard - and easy - if you take 20-30 minutes to just do it.

I don't want to keep franking around with the rules, but we could discuss moving it up a little, I'm sure most people are close to being done.

People just have to let me know their thoughts on the subject.

Dosn't matter to me, I will wait until the last moment either way Smile

52GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's a really, really nice system with the spreadsheet - and the ease of picking the players. I agree with Beedub, very nice work!

53GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Aetherial wrote:

Ditto. I will wait until literally the final minutes of the final day it's due. I have a firm plan in place, but I need to do more research on some of the other players I have on the 'bubble'. I will go to the very, very, very max in time limits for this.

54GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:25 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

By the way I should mention that I loaded my roster onto Notepad because I couldn't figure out how place an x on the Excel file. However, I've also placed the point values of each player next to his name and calculated all the points for the forward, defense and goaltending sections.

I have employed what I consider a unique strategy.

55GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:By the way I should mention that I loaded my roster onto Notepad because I couldn't figure out how place an x on the Excel file. However, I've also placed the point values of each player next to his name and calculated all the points for the forward, defense and goaltending sections.

I have employed what I consider a unique strategy.

It won't let you highlight the box and type an X in the space? It should, and it makes all the calculations for you up top, telling you how much points you have left, how many positions are filled etc.

56GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:30 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Well I tried putting an x in there, but nothing happened.

57GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:32 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I've written it all out in neat form anyways. So it won't be hard at all for anyone to get my roster in a timely manner.

58GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:08 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:Well I tried putting an x in there, but nothing happened.

ACK!

There is a problem with the instructions at the top. It says to mark column G.
In fact, column G is protected. You should mark column E with an x or X

You should go back and try it. The sheet is very handy for trying different strategies.

59GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:
wprager wrote:Just be careful with those types of applications. I'm slowly working on convincing Aetherial that VBA is not evil, so chances are one of these days his tool will have some macros in it doing some serious s**t. VBA has to be licensed to M$ so no free tool could possibly include support for VBA macros. At that point you might as well get Excel (or are you not using a PC platform?)

Vista. I have Quantro I believe it's called at home, so I can use the Microsoft spreadsheets with that.

Nothing too serious, but it'll do the trick. If it doesn't work (which it will), I'll just have people send me the list of their players.

I think you mean Quattro (part of the Perfect Office suite from Corel). Apparently it supports VBA so it should work.

60GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:21 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Aetherial wrote:

Exactly my answer. I have my team ready to go now, but as long as there is time left I will keep tinkering.

Just the other day Aetherial pointed out that I had Erik Johnson (I actually wanted to pick Brewer because I figured he'd get more ice tie with Johnson gone for the year, and must have put the "x" in the wrong Eric/k). So I dropped Johnson, replaced him with Brewer, and then with the extra "money" I upgraded another position. The end result is the new team had a higher projected point total (using the UPP forecaster-average for the projected points) than the previous one.

The point is, you keep on tinkering until you're told to put your pencils down and hand it in.

61GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:56 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:
Aetherial wrote:

Exactly my answer. I have my team ready to go now, but as long as there is time left I will keep tinkering.

Just the other day Aetherial pointed out that I had Erik Johnson (I actually wanted to pick Brewer because I figured he'd get more ice tie with Johnson gone for the year, and must have put the "x" in the wrong Eric/k). So I dropped Johnson, replaced him with Brewer, and then with the extra "money" I upgraded another position. The end result is the new team had a higher projected point total (using the UPP forecaster-average for the projected points) than the previous one.

The point is, you keep on tinkering until you're told to put your pencils down and hand it in.

Having said that, I agree with whoever mentioned earlier that perhaps we should change the deadline... move it up by a week or so.

62GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
I think you mean Quattro (part of the Perfect Office suite from Corel). Apparently it supports VBA so it should work.

It does... :D I think Quantro is a drink, I wonder what was on my mind...

63GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 4 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:
wprager wrote:

It does... :D I think Quantro is a drink, I wonder what was on my mind...

Ah! Cointreau.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum