GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial)

+13
Riprock
Phoenix30
beedub
Acrobat
Mosky
dennycrane
Cronie
jamvan
wprager
NBDragonfly
PKC
PTFlea
Aetherial
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

31GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:40 pm

Aetherial

Rookie
Rookie

Continuing my constant tweaking of my picks (more like starting over, and over and over...), one thing I have noticed, that I did not anticipate, is that you might as well pick players you like.

I even found a couple Leafs who I really may take on my team. You'll probably find that the players who cost the same as a guy you like aren't any better... so you might as well choose who you like.

... now we'll have a bunch of people with 6 Sens Rolling Eyes

32GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:43 pm

jamvan

Veteran
Veteran

[quote="504Heater"]
Where do you work? No excel???? are you aloud to download? If so, download Office11. It is a free Microsoft type office software, where you can use all the .doc, .xls. etc...documents.

Where do I download it for free?

33GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:49 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
Where do you work? No excel???? are you aloud to download? If so, download Office11. It is a free Microsoft type office software, where you can use all the .doc, .xls. etc...documents.

Oh, I'll do that.

34GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Where do I download it for free Jam? I see a whole lot of sites offering it for $$ though - and frankly I don't need it here. Now, if it's free, that's a whole new ballgame.

35GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:28 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just be careful with those types of applications. I'm slowly working on convincing Aetherial that VBA is not evil, so chances are one of these days his tool will have some macros in it doing some serious s**t. VBA has to be licensed to M$ so no free tool could possibly include support for VBA macros. At that point you might as well get Excel (or are you not using a PC platform?)

36GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Just be careful with those types of applications. I'm slowly working on convincing Aetherial that VBA is not evil, so chances are one of these days his tool will have some macros in it doing some serious s**t. VBA has to be licensed to M$ so no free tool could possibly include support for VBA macros. At that point you might as well get Excel (or are you not using a PC platform?)

Vista. I have Quantro I believe it's called at home, so I can use the Microsoft spreadsheets with that.

Nothing too serious, but it'll do the trick. If it doesn't work (which it will), I'll just have people send me the list of their players.

37GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:13 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

www.openoffice.org is really good as well.

If there is an injury where the player is out for the year, are we SOL? That would be the easiest.

Another idea would be to keep "cap space" and draft more than the 20 players set out.

38GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:14 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

One more thing....when is the deadline to hand in our teams.

Mine is done..I think.

39GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:40 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

dennycrane wrote:www.openoffice.org is really good as well.

If there is an injury where the player is out for the year, are we SOL? That would be the easiest.

Another idea would be to keep "cap space" and draft more than the 20 players set out.

It is an interesting thought, and I considered it. I was in a pool once where you could select more players (i.e. more cheap players). The truth is, I think that required some more thought about player lists and costs... and I didn't have the energy.

So, to answer your question, yes, if a player gets injured you are SOL. You should consider injury history when picking players. I am on the fence with a couple guys myself for this reason. Of course nothing guarantees you won't have injuries. It is the number one reason why people win or lose pools!

This one is free though, so pick who you like and don't sweat it.

At the end of the year, I will do a calculation on who *would have* won if there were no injuries Smile

40GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:17 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:One more thing....when is the deadline to hand in our teams.

Mine is done..I think.

Oct.16th.

41GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

You're done Heater, done... squirrel

42GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mosky wrote:You're done Heater, done... squirrel

Mosky...say hello to squirrel

43GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

:D I'm like a 12 year old, the monkey never ceases to make me giggle.

44GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:35 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

lol ditto.

45GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Is there still room for an entry in the pool? I may take a shot at this...

46GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Wait until you see my team. You are going to Dung yourself.

47GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:32 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
dennycrane wrote:One more thing....when is the deadline to hand in our teams.

Mine is done..I think.

Oct.16th.

October 16? Is that right? That's like 12 days into the season. 55 total regular season games will have been played by then.

48GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) - Page 3 Empty Re: GM Central's Pool (feat. Aetherial) Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:

October 16? Is that right? That's like 12 days into the season. 55 total regular season games will have been played by then.

I just did mine in a night. I didn't want to overwhelm people, but it's hard - and easy - if you take 20-30 minutes to just do it.

I don't want to keep franking around with the rules, but we could discuss moving it up a little, I'm sure most people are close to being done.

People just have to let me know their thoughts on the subject.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum