GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread

+13
sens4win
SensHulk
PKC
LeCaptain
Sens19
M_Christopher
beerandsens
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
asq2
PTFlea
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 20]

31Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:02 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:
Naw, we're paying them 7 million.

Pfft please. Spezza has more skill in his right hand than Cheechoo does at this stage. At least Spezza has broken the 5 point plateau.

Spezza also sees premium ice time, as well as special teams ice time. Cheechoo is playing 3rd-4th line minutes. Hardly a fair comparison.

32Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:03 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

Pfft please. Spezza has more skill in his right hand than Cheechoo does at this stage. At least Spezza has broken the 5 point plateau.

Lets give Cheechoo Spezza mins and see what happens to those points totals. PP, even stregth, and give him Alfi and Michalek as line mates.

Fact is the biggest underachiever on this team is Jason Spezza, not Cheechoo. He's playing on the 3rd or 4th line 99& of the time, at the same time he never stops working and he is a solid team guy. Everyone knew he was a salary dump, people need to gain some perspective.

Even if Cheechoo becomes a healthy scratch at some point (which I doubt because of his work ethic) he is only in Ottawa for max, until the end of next year.

If people really want to complain about a player, it's a guy makes close to 40 million for the remainder of his contract who is on pace for the exact same amount of goals as Cheechoo right now while on the 1st PP unti and playing with two of the better wingers in the league.

Cheechoo doesnt hurt The Sens at all and him being there actually creates compition within the bottom 6 forwards to stay in the lineup. Spezza, his spot is etched in stone.

There are also guys like Campoli who have also been given every shot to suceed and have bombed worse then anyone on that team. Or a guy like Lee who cant stick if he was made of glue. Even a Kovalev (who has been playing a lot better as of late). Maybe a Ryan Shannon who doesnt even have a goal (who has also gotten more PP time then Cheechoo)

Saying Cheechoo is killing The Sens or hurting them is total BS.

33Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:03 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:
I don't understand why it's so hard to see that he's not been given a fair shake at being successful offensively. Like I said previously, he was doomed before he even got here. It's quite clear that Murray never wanted him in the first place, so maybe, just maybe, he won't succeed here because the team has already decided he won't.

About the only thing in your post I can agree with is the point about him not being here if he was a million dollar player.

To kind of contradict myself, this is true as well. Clouston says that he likes his work ethic and that he's just had some bad luck, but he's hesitant to staple Cheechoo to line one (which is pretty obvious to me to have the two SJ guys with Spezza). If he gave Cheechoo 15 games, starting tomorrow in LA, with Spezza an Michalek and he still didn't produce, then we'd all know that it was over.

But he doesn't give him that kind of talent to play with - nor does he give him the 18-20 minutes, nor do I notice Cheechoo out there on the PP.

There's definitely good points in there Hemlock. If he's going to succeed, he needs to be placed in a position to do so - by Clouston.

Clouston....don't get me started. Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 489887

34Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:04 pm

hemlock wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

Spezza also sees premium ice time, as well as special teams ice time. Cheechoo is playing 3rd-4th line minutes. Hardly a fair comparison.

Same amount of goals though, hmmmm. Who's the under achiever eh...

35Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:04 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
You really think Melnyk wants to pay him $4ish million dollars after suiting up for less than 30 games? Seriously? There are other ways to obtain cap space, like trading useless, redundant Dung like Campoli.

Don't think he cares to the extent we think he does. It sucks, but at this point he's taking losses on the Sens and writing off tax while he's at it. What he should care about in the long run is setting this team up for years of competitive teams and relying on Bryan Murray and co. to do that any way possible.

36Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:05 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:

The goal-scorer.

37Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:07 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

The goal-scorer.

You seem to have yourself convinced of that.

38Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:07 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

The goal-scorer.

Heh. The goal scorer who gets the scraps for ice time, typically half the amount that Spezza gets. He also doesn't play the PP. Why not line him up on the 2nd PP unit and have him stand in the crease and collect rebounds? Lord knows he's got the hands.

39Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Lets give Cheechoo Spezza mins and see what happens to those points totals. PP, even stregth, and give him Alfi and Michalek as line mates.

Fact is the biggest underachiever on this team is Jason Spezza, not Cheechoo. He's playing on the 3rd or 4th line 99& of the time, at the same time he never stops working and he is a solid team guy. Everyone knew he was a salary dump, people need to gain some perspective.

Even if Cheechoo becomes a healthy scratch at some point (which I doubt because of his work ethic) he is only in Ottawa for max, until the end of next year.

If people really want to complain about a player, it's a guy makes close to 40 million for the remainder of his contract who is on pace for the exact same amount of goals as Cheechoo right now while on the 1st PP unti and playing with two of the better wingers in the league.

Cheechoo doesnt hurt The Sens at all and him being there actually creates compition within the bottom 6 forwards to stay in the lineup. Spezza, his spot is etched in stone.

There are also guys like Campoli who have also been given every shot to suceed and have bombed worse then anyone on that team. Or a guy like Lee who cant stick if he was made of glue. Even a Kovalev (who has been playing a lot better as of late). Maybe a Ryan Shannon who doesnt even have a goal (who has also gotten more PP time then Cheechoo)

Yes please, let's give Cheechoo Jason Spezza to play with. Let's see what happens. It couldn't possibly hurt. Alfie can go back with Fisher and Kovalev, Michalek, Spezza and Cheechoo can form a line by themselves.

Definitely not a good idea to bring a guy like Ryan Shannon into this equation though. He's been playing lights out lately. The only thing missing from his game is goals right now - and if he continues to play like this, they'll come to. No question in my mind that Ryan Shannon had now pulled himself above Cheechoo on the depth chart.

Again, the only thing that can save Cheechoo's career in Ottawa is if Clouston puts him on line one, PP1 and plays him 18-20 a night. That's it.

40Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

The goal-scorer.

Heh. The goal scorer who gets the scraps for ice time, typically half the amount that Spezza gets. He also doesn't play the PP. Why not line him up on the 2nd PP unit and have him stand in the crease and collect rebounds? Lord knows he's got the hands.

According to the liars on the pre-game round table he's had those opportunities already. Idiots. Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 270956

41Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:
You really think Melnyk wants to pay him $4ish million dollars after suiting up for less than 30 games? Seriously? There are other ways to obtain cap space, like trading useless, redundant Dung like Campoli.

Don't think he cares to the extent we think he does. It sucks, but at this point he's taking losses on the Sens and writing off tax while he's at it. What he should care about in the long run is setting this team up for years of competitive teams and relying on Bryan Murray and co. to do that any way possible.

How does buying Cheechoo out now set us up for the long run? He's only signed for this year and next. We are not an elite team, not this year, and not next year in all probability.

I don't buy the tax write argument either.

42Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

The goal-scorer.

Well, yeah. Clearly both are under-achieving. Spezza sucks this year as well, but we know he hasn't lost his talent - or I know anyway. Cheechoo looks like he's done. He can't skate, I've seen one nice pull back, toe drag play on his 1st goal, but otherwise, does he still even possess a shot?

Problem is, Cheechoo hasn't been going through this for just 2 months, it's been a long, long time coming. The decline of his game has been shocking frankly and now it's starting to reach the point where if Clouston doesn't pull him out of it, it's over.

43Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:11 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:Lets give Cheechoo Spezza mins and see what happens to those points totals. PP, even stregth, and give him Alfi and Michalek as line mates.

Yes please, let's give Cheechoo Jason Spezza to play with. Let's see what happens. It couldn't possibly hurt. Alfie can go back with Fisher and Kovalev, Michalek, Spezza and Cheechoo can form a line by themselves.

Definitely not a good idea to bring a guy like Ryan Shannon into this equation though. He's been playing lights out lately. The only thing missing from his game is goals right now - and if he continues to play like this, they'll come to. No question in my mind that Ryan Shannon had now pulled himself above Cheechoo on the depth chart.

Again, the only thing that can save Cheechoo's career in Ottawa is if Clouston puts him on line one, PP1 and plays him 18-20 a night. That's it.

For at least a reasonable amount of time. Clouston quit on that combo pretty damn quickly last time.

44Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
How does buying Cheechoo out now set us up for the long run? He's only signed for this year and next. We are not an elite team, not this year, and not next year in all probability.

I don't buy the tax write argument either.

Clears a roster spot, clears salary cap space. There will come a time when it'll be Murray's call, guaranteed.

45Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:12 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

The goal-scorer.

Well, yeah. Clearly both are under-achieving. Spezza sucks this year as well, but we know he hasn't lost his talent - or I know anyway. Cheechoo looks like he's done. He can't skate, I've seen one nice pull back, toe drag play on his 1st goal, but otherwise, does he still even possess a shot?

Problem is, Cheechoo hasn't been going through this for just 2 months, it's been a long, long time coming. The decline of his game has been shocking frankly and now it's starting to reach the point where if Clouston doesn't pull him out of it, it's over.

I don't want Spezza with Cheechoo. I'd rather see Fisher with Cheechoo. They play a more similar style (except for Fisher's speed). I think they could form an effective unit with a guy like Foligno.

46Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:12 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
For at least a reasonable amount of time. Clouston quit on that combo pretty damn quickly last time.

That's what I mean. 15 games MINIMUM. We need to see if he can pull himself out of this playing with talent - and playing on the PP.

47Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:I don't want Spezza with Cheechoo. I'd rather see Fisher with Cheechoo. They play a more similar style (except for Fisher's speed). I think they could form an effective unit with a guy like Foligno.

You know what I mean though.

48Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:14 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Well, yeah. Clearly both are under-achieving. Spezza sucks this year as well, but we know he hasn't lost his talent - or I know anyway. Cheechoo looks like he's done. He can't skate, I've seen one nice pull back, toe drag play on his 1st goal, but otherwise, does he still even possess a shot?

We can only find out if he possesses the puck in a scoring area. He's too busy digging it out for that to ever happen. The few times he's had real chances, he showed a nice release.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum