GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread

+13
sens4win
SensHulk
PKC
LeCaptain
Sens19
M_Christopher
beerandsens
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
asq2
PTFlea
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 20]

286Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:50 am

MurderOnIce wrote:
Hoags wrote:If Clouston wanted to bench Cheechoo he would. He did the unthinkable (in some people's eyes) and benched Foligno.

From all accounts Cheechoo is doing everything the coach asks, and outworks most of the team each night. Benching him because the puck hit a crossbar or Kipper robbed him is nonsense. I think it sends the right message that if you work hard and play the system you'll get ice time.

Yes he's making too much for the numbers he is bringing in right now, that's not unheard of in the NHL, pretty much every team has 1-2 guys like that.

How do you reconcile that statement with Donovan?

And I would disagree that on the whole this season he did not deserve a benching. He lost a game for us single handedly with a couple of killer neutral zone infractions that lead to goals. Plus he has had some invisible nights this year. You do not only bench people because of effort level. If that was the case Donovan would always be in the lineup.

If you bench Cheechoo his trade-ability will never increase.

287Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:53 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MurderOnIce wrote:
Hoags wrote:If Clouston wanted to bench Cheechoo he would. He did the unthinkable (in some people's eyes) and benched Foligno.

From all accounts Cheechoo is doing everything the coach asks, and outworks most of the team each night. Benching him because the puck hit a crossbar or Kipper robbed him is nonsense. I think it sends the right message that if you work hard and play the system you'll get ice time.

Yes he's making too much for the numbers he is bringing in right now, that's not unheard of in the NHL, pretty much every team has 1-2 guys like that.

And I would disagree that on the whole this season he did not deserve a benching. He lost a game for us single handedly with a couple of killer neutral zone infractions that lead to goals. Plus he has had some invisible nights this year. You do not only bench people because of effort level. If that was the case Donovan would always be in the lineup.

I agree that Donovan is getting Diddled over, plain and simple. I remember the infractions you're talking about. Cheechoo probably thought he was sticking up for Alfredsson with some decidedly poor decisions. That was one game, though.

If anyone goes through stretches of being invisible and even longer stretches of being ineffective, it's Del Shannon.

288Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:56 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:How do you reconcile that statement with Donovan?

Donovan knows his role well though, he knows that he's an energy player that could be called upon within a moments notice. Right before he got benched he couldn't bring it on the ice the way he was at the beginning of the year and that cost him his job right now - but what a fantastic player to be chomping at the bit to get back in. With him and Z.Smith chomping, you know we'll be deep at forward come playoff time.

I think he's a victim of being the 'vet' player that is paid league minimum to be prepped all the time, but won't see more than 35-40 games a year.

289Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:

I think Donavan is finished personally, as far as Ottawa is concerned, Clouston has never seemed big on him anyway despite Brennan's best efforts. Zach Smith will be here next year.

It may be due to the 3.5M one-way contract, Murray isn't going to waive him, he's just too nice for that and I can't even see a buyout by Melnyk considering how many buyouts we have on the books still.

Ultimately, Clouston hasn't said anything bad about his game, he's been benched in the 3rd a few times. He's only said we need more.

The team is winning and I'm just gonna trust Clouston on this one. He seems to think he can get him going. I mean he got Kovalev going so he seems to know what buttons to push.

Maybe things will change as near the postseason but he had 2 good chances against Calgary and set up the game winner.

I'm at least getting my wish of seeing him with Spezza and MM.

290Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 am

DirtyDave wrote:
If you bench Cheechoo his trade-ability will never increase.

That ship has sailed... if you were looking to go trade route. You would have to add something to Cheechoo to zero him out, then you make the deal. i.e. Cheechoo plus a fourth for nothing. That is not going to change unless you whisper in his ear before every game "hey buddy, isn't this your 500th?"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum