GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad?

+3
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
Jordo
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:19 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

I may get slammed for this one- but it seems like Cheechoo is the real sticking point in any SJ deal. Believe me, I began the year despising the guy, but after all the talk- I'm starting to warm up to him. And here's a few reasons why.

After the lockout, Cheechoo had a breakout year playing alongside Thornton. He won the Rocket Richard award and scored 56 goals and 93 points. Led the team in and the NHL in a handful of different stats including hat tricks and PP goals.After 2005, they put him on a line with felon Mark Bell and things went downhill, but he picked it back up when put back on a line with Michalek. The past few years he's had injuries which have obviously held him back and removed him from top line status.But what's to say that coupled with some new superstars (Koavlev and Spezza?) he can't return to that form? He's shown that he has an elite goal scoring ability.

His Contract Isn't THAT Bad
When you think of it, $3 million a year, is not a lot of money, considering his resume. Let's take a look at other players who make 3 million a year. Marco Sturm, Jochan Hecht, Michel Handzus, Dustin Penner, Dainius Zubrus, Ales Kotalik, Radim Vrbata, Michal Nylander..etc are all paid at least 0.5 a million MORE than Cheechoo, and none of them have even sniffed at even HALF of the goals he scored in 2005 OR 2006.

His Term isn't Bad
He's only got this year and next left on his contract, so if he doesn't work out, dish him out or forget about him. Spend the cap space somewhere else. 2010/2011 is going to be a very large year for the Senators regardless, so a lot of decisions will be made. Let Cheechoo know that this is his audition to make a permanent spot on the team. We don't have any potential top 6 guys coming through the grapevine anyway, so this is something that needs to be addressed.

In my opinion, it's really not a massive risk taking on Cheechoo. Combined with the fact that us taking him will probably give us a few other good pieces as well as compensation. I'm sure you can raid a Couture type or other player (Michalek? Setoguchi even?) along with him, and at the same time get over this Heatley mess- I think it's something that sholudn't be as frowned upon as everyone here is.

3 mil for a top 6? I'm pretty good with that.

2Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:27 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

You're right, I don't know how bad he would really be here. I have a feeling that he'd have 1 killer season this year, as long as he plays with Spezza. He would have to play with him to get anywhere near even 70 points.

I'm not a fan of the idea though because there is so much negativity around him, that I really wonder what else is wrong with him. We don't need to add to the media circus here, and we don't need to take on another player that may or may not have a good season. We don't need to be throwing money away. I agree though, that 3 million is not a lot, especially if he can reproduce the 1st season he had with Thornton is SJ.

It would take quite a bit for me to be sold on him, the only way I would be, is if we actually acquired him and we'd basically have to deal with it.

I'm way too into the idea of Michalek though, he's the guy I want from there, along with a high draft pick or prospect.

3Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:29 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yes he is. Well maybe not.

Just ask yourself if you are prepared to say adios to the Smartest Man in Hockey or Volchenkov because you have to pay this guy since no one else will want him. That's the problem.

4Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:29 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Amen.

However $7.5M for $3M and San Jose up against the cap means they have to move another $4M, and we don't have room for that. Maybe it's not Cheechoo but whoever else San Jose wants to send along.

5Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:Yes he is. Well maybe not.

Just ask yourself if you are prepared to say adios to the Smartest Man in Hockey or Volchenkov because you have to pay this guy since no one else will want him. That's the problem.

Are you saying that playing with either Spezza or Kovalev (if not both) he could not put up 30+ goals and 70+ points? What would his trade value be then?

6Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:35 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

That's goign to be an issue regardless SSF. Whomever we take on is going to be salary. You're not going to dump Heatley for zero salary coming back, You're going to take as much salary back in any situation, perhaps a little less in a good situation... but you're not going to be able to dump heatley's salary for nothing.

Volch is a moot point. We'll resign him, guaranteed. Long term, low cap hit.

7Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:38 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

For the kind of production that he gave last year, his contract is terrible. If he returns to form his contract is great. If he even approaches 05/06 numbers his contract is fantastic.

8Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:39 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jordo wrote:

That's goign to be an issue regardless SSF. Whomever we take on is going to be salary. You're not going to dump Heatley for zero salary coming back, You're going to take as much salary back in any situation, perhaps a little less in a good situation... but you're not going to be able to dump heatley's salary for nothing.

Not if you take someone back that is actually tradeable down the road. It's a complex situation, not so much long-term, but more in the immediate and medium term. (IMO)

9Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:40 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Jordo wrote:

Any cap space that we get from a trade is gold.

10Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:51 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Cheechoo is a RW, we're stacked on that position. He wouldn't be able to play on the top 2 lines and even have a chance to produce. Cheechoo has been on the 3rd (checking) line this year so it's not much of a surprise his numbers are low.

He may put up better numbers than that in Ottawa, playing with Spezza but for Heatley we shouldn't be getting players that MIGHT produce. We need players that WILL produce. I believe that's Bryan Murray's stance.

I think Cheechoo is similar to Penner in a way. A (currently) overpaid/underachieving player who may put up better numbers in Ottawa and earn his money. DW knows that Murray was willing to accept Penner so he keeps offering Cheechoo.

11Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:21 am

Jordo wrote:

Guaranteed? Do you know something we don't? Because I would love to believe that. A-Train at a low cap-hit would be welcome on my team until the day he retires. Sure he's going to suffer more nagging little injuries, but his game isn't going to suffer from skills dwindling or a loss of speed. He'll be effective as long as his body holds up.

12Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:24 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:
Jordo wrote:

Guaranteed? Do you know something we don't? Because I would love to believe that. A-Train at a low cap-hit would be welcome on my team until the day he retires. Sure he's going to suffer more nagging little injuries, but his game isn't going to suffer from skills dwindling or a loss of speed. He'll be effective as long as his body holds up.

I think Volchenkov has taught cynics like myself, who believed the Russian guy was just playing for a contract and would soak us fo huge, long-term dollars then suck, that he is ready to take a discount and perform for years to come. That's his track record as I see it.

13Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:26 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

[quote="hemlock"]
Jordo wrote:

Yes, guaranteed. He will sign a contract that will keep him in Ottawa for the rest of his career. I'm thinking 8 years, 28-32 million.

14Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:33 am

[quote="Jordo"]
hemlock wrote:
Jordo wrote:

Yes, guaranteed. He will sign a contract that will keep him in Ottawa for the rest of his career. I'm thinking 8 years, 28-32 million.

YES! I won't have to weep while I rip his name off my only Sens jersey. cheers

15Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Empty Re: Cheechoo- is he really THAT bad? Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:39 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

hemlock wrote:
YES! I won't have to weep while I rip his name off my only Sens jersey. cheers

To be honest, I just can't see Murray letting Volch go, especially if he WANTS to be here. When we need to resign him, we'll have top end D on rookie contracts coming in Karlsson, Weircioch, Cowen (assuming they all crack the roster next year, as many expect). We have Phillips signed, we'll retain Volchenkov, and maybe another piece. Kuba's gone, Campoli is up in the air, Lee is up in the air, Picard is most likely gone or up in the air... He's really our only veteran guy next to Phillips. As long as it's under 4 or even 4.5 short term, I cannot see Murray letting him walk.

Now let's not get into a Volch debate. let's stay focused on the subject at hand. scratch

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum