GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread

+13
sens4win
SensHulk
PKC
LeCaptain
Sens19
M_Christopher
beerandsens
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
asq2
PTFlea
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 20]

16Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:14 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:
Hoags wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I wouldn't hold your breath. I think the best case scenario will see us buy him out in the summer.

I'm not sure Murray will buy him out. We're already paying Paddock, Hartsburg, Schubert and Heatley's $4M for personnel who are not working for the Sens. I can see Melnyk balking at that.

Are we paying Schubert? Was it re-entry waivers that the Thrashers picked him up off of?

Don't forget Emery, by the way.
Yes we are still paying Schubie. $441,666 this season.

17Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:19 am

shabbs wrote:
asq2 wrote:
Hoags wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I wouldn't hold your breath. I think the best case scenario will see us buy him out in the summer.

I'm not sure Murray will buy him out. We're already paying Paddock, Hartsburg, Schubert and Heatley's $4M for personnel who are not working for the Sens. I can see Melnyk balking at that.

Are we paying Schubert? Was it re-entry waivers that the Thrashers picked him up off of?

Don't forget Emery, by the way.
Yes we are still paying Schubie. $441,666 this season.

Technically, we are paying Alfie a buyout on top of his salary as well.

18Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:19 am

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:Wow. The guy's skating is terrible and we are ready to write him off less than a 1/3 of a season into his Ottawa tenure? Most of which btw, was spent playing with grinders and not players who would actually make use of his skillset.

He's a hard worker, is good along the boards, does his job without complaint even though he wasn't given much of a chance to play with anyone who could help him produce.

Where are the Depreciation Threads for Kovalev, Campoli and to a lesser extent Spezza? Cheechoo's fate in Ottawa was sealed before he even arrived it seems. It's a shame he makes what he does, because if he was making a million this wouldn't be an issue, unlike Campoli and Kovalev (most of the time).

Like a few others have mentioned, Eugene is paying several people to be elsewhere. I would be surprised if he does the same with Cheechoo, at least this season.

Great post.

I'd also add Foligno, Shannon and Regin to the list of underachievers. Kovalev had a good game against the Sharks actually, overall his play has been improving in the last few games so I'd give AK27 a brief respite for now Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 54934

19Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:23 am

Hoags wrote:
hemlock wrote:Wow. The guy's skating is terrible and we are ready to write him off less than a 1/3 of a season into his Ottawa tenure? Most of which btw, was spent playing with grinders and not players who would actually make use of his skillset.

He's a hard worker, is good along the boards, does his job without complaint even though he wasn't given much of a chance to play with anyone who could help him produce.

Where are the Depreciation Threads for Kovalev, Campoli and to a lesser extent Spezza? Cheechoo's fate in Ottawa was sealed before he even arrived it seems. It's a shame he makes what he does, because if he was making a million this wouldn't be an issue, unlike Campoli and Kovalev (most of the time).

Like a few others have mentioned, Eugene is paying several people to be elsewhere. I would be surprised if he does the same with Cheechoo, at least this season.

Great post.

I'd also add Foligno, Shannon and Regin to the list of underachievers. Kovalev had a good game against the Sharks actually, overall his play has been improving in the last few games so I'd give AK27 a brief respite for now Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 54934

For now being the key with Kovalev. He runs so hot and cold, and disappears without warning. He's not exactly lighting it up either. He's on pace for 44 points. Not nearly good enough for $5 million.

20Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:29 am

A lot of other guys that I would complain about over Cheechoo.

21Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:36 am

If he was making a million he wouldn't be here. San Jose would have bought him out last year. He is awkward at best, sure hard worker *cough* Gerber *cough*... sure great in the room *cough* Gerber *cough*... but at the end of the day he was a goal scorer now he is a non-NHL talent player taking up a roster spot on our club.

Lack of confidence is like gangrene, you have to cut it off before it spreads. Wilson and Murray tried hard to sell us on how hard he was working and how this fresh start could turn him around... well it is not.

When you say..."He's a hard worker, is good along the boards, does his job without complaint even though he wasn't given much of a chance to play with anyone who could help him produce."...you are also describing Peter Schaeffer, who was bought out @ $2.7M by the Bruins.

This guy at least has to see the game from a different vantage point, like the pressbox. Michalek's finish was awesome last night in his chance to show his old team what they were missing. The baggage he brought with him also showed San Jose what they were missing.

22Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:42 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:A lot of other guys that I would complain about over Cheechoo.

Michalek is looking like he would have been good one for one with Heatley. Kind of a pleasant surprise there. So Choochoo's hard work is good enough for me.

"Experts" insist he's had ample opportunity to play on the PP and other situations with playmakers but that's a crock of Dung.

I'm sure the Jackets would take him in a bigger deal if we took Modin.

23Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Screw the hard worker BS, we're not in a position to be paying someone 3 million dollars to 'work hard'. We have guys in Bingo like Z.Smith who are dying for their chance to work hard. Sorry that I don't have compassion for Cheechoo - I actually do feel badly for him - but if he doesn't start connecting - and soon - then of course we'll buy him out. There's no chance we can have another expensive 4th liner on this team. It was bad enough before Cheechoo got here.

24Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:50 am

SpezDispenser wrote:Screw the hard worker BS, we're not in a position to be paying someone 3 million dollars to 'work hard'. We have guys in Bingo like Z.Smith who are dying for their chance to work hard. Sorry that I don't have compassion for Cheechoo - I actually do feel badly for him - but if he doesn't start connecting - and soon - then of course we'll buy him out. There's no chance we can have another expensive 4th liner on this team. It was bad enough before Cheechoo got here.

Naw, we're paying them 7 million.

25Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:54 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:

Pfft please. Spezza has more skill in his right hand than Cheechoo does at this stage. At least Spezza has broken the 5 point plateau.

26Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:55 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Cheech has had some good chances and hit a couple of posts and crossbars which is more than some of our forwards can say.

Clouston says it best "If Jonathan didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all", this is why Cheech hasn't been benched yet.

I'm as frustrated with him as anyone but I don't think there's much else to do at this point.

I don't think Z.Smith will do much for us either, we called up Keller and he hasnt done anything out there either.

27Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:56 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Screw the hard worker BS, we're not in a position to be paying someone 3 million dollars to 'work hard'. We have guys in Bingo like Z.Smith who are dying for their chance to work hard. Sorry that I don't have compassion for Cheechoo - I actually do feel badly for him - but if he doesn't start connecting - and soon - then of course we'll buy him out. There's no chance we can have another expensive 4th liner on this team. It was bad enough before Cheechoo got here.

It always works for Mike Fisher and Hands of Stone Kelly. Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 270956

28Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 am

MurderOnIce wrote:

If he was making a million he wouldn't be here. San Jose would have bought him out last year. He is awkward at best, sure hard worker *cough* Gerber *cough*... sure great in the room *cough* Gerber *cough*... but at the end of the day he was a goal scorer now he is a non-NHL talent player taking up a roster spot on our club.

Lack of confidence is like gangrene, you have to cut it off before it spreads. Wilson and Murray tried hard to sell us on how hard he was working and how this fresh start could turn him around... well it is not.

When you say..."He's a hard worker, is good along the boards, does his job without complaint even though he wasn't given much of a chance to play with anyone who could help him produce."...you are also describing Peter Schaeffer, who was bought out @ $2.7M by the Bruins.

This guy at least has to see the game from a different vantage point, like the pressbox. Michalek's finish was awesome last night in his chance to show his old team what they were missing. The baggage he brought with him also showed San Jose what they were missing.

The difference between Schaefer and Cheechoo is that Cheechoo was once an elite scorer. Schaefer never was, not by a long shot. In fact, Cheechoo's two best seasons practically equal Schaefer's career goal output.

Do we have a source that Cheechoo's confidence is blown? Has he come out and said as much? How does putting him in the pressbox help? If the team wants to try and get him going they might try giving him more than a cup of coffee with some actual offensively talented players rather than sit him, or play with on the 4th line with pluggers.

I don't understand why it's so hard to see that he's not been given a fair shake at being successful offensively. Like I said previously, he was doomed before he even got here. It's quite clear that Murray never wanted him in the first place, so maybe, just maybe, he won't succeed here because the team has already decided he won't.

About the only thing in your post I can agree with is the point about him not being here if he was a million dollar player.

29Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:59 am

You really think Melnyk wants to pay him $4ish million dollars after suiting up for less than 30 games? Seriously? There are other ways to obtain cap space, like trading useless, redundant Dung like Campoli.

30Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
I don't understand why it's so hard to see that he's not been given a fair shake at being successful offensively. Like I said previously, he was doomed before he even got here. It's quite clear that Murray never wanted him in the first place, so maybe, just maybe, he won't succeed here because the team has already decided he won't.

About the only thing in your post I can agree with is the point about him not being here if he was a million dollar player.

To kind of contradict myself, this is true as well. Clouston says that he likes his work ethic and that he's just had some bad luck, but he's hesitant to staple Cheechoo to line one (which is pretty obvious to me to have the two SJ guys with Spezza). If he gave Cheechoo 15 games, starting tomorrow in LA, with Spezza an Michalek and he still didn't produce, then we'd all know that it was over.

But he doesn't give him that kind of talent to play with - nor does he give him the 18-20 minutes, nor do I notice Cheechoo out there on the PP.

There's definitely good points in there Hemlock. If he's going to succeed, he needs to be placed in a position to do so - by Clouston.

31Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:02 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

Pfft please. Spezza has more skill in his right hand than Cheechoo does at this stage. At least Spezza has broken the 5 point plateau.

Spezza also sees premium ice time, as well as special teams ice time. Cheechoo is playing 3rd-4th line minutes. Hardly a fair comparison.

32Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:03 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

Lets give Cheechoo Spezza mins and see what happens to those points totals. PP, even stregth, and give him Alfi and Michalek as line mates.

Fact is the biggest underachiever on this team is Jason Spezza, not Cheechoo. He's playing on the 3rd or 4th line 99& of the time, at the same time he never stops working and he is a solid team guy. Everyone knew he was a salary dump, people need to gain some perspective.

Even if Cheechoo becomes a healthy scratch at some point (which I doubt because of his work ethic) he is only in Ottawa for max, until the end of next year.

If people really want to complain about a player, it's a guy makes close to 40 million for the remainder of his contract who is on pace for the exact same amount of goals as Cheechoo right now while on the 1st PP unti and playing with two of the better wingers in the league.

Cheechoo doesnt hurt The Sens at all and him being there actually creates compition within the bottom 6 forwards to stay in the lineup. Spezza, his spot is etched in stone.

There are also guys like Campoli who have also been given every shot to suceed and have bombed worse then anyone on that team. Or a guy like Lee who cant stick if he was made of glue. Even a Kovalev (who has been playing a lot better as of late). Maybe a Ryan Shannon who doesnt even have a goal (who has also gotten more PP time then Cheechoo)

Saying Cheechoo is killing The Sens or hurting them is total BS.

33Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:03 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

To kind of contradict myself, this is true as well. Clouston says that he likes his work ethic and that he's just had some bad luck, but he's hesitant to staple Cheechoo to line one (which is pretty obvious to me to have the two SJ guys with Spezza). If he gave Cheechoo 15 games, starting tomorrow in LA, with Spezza an Michalek and he still didn't produce, then we'd all know that it was over.

But he doesn't give him that kind of talent to play with - nor does he give him the 18-20 minutes, nor do I notice Cheechoo out there on the PP.

There's definitely good points in there Hemlock. If he's going to succeed, he needs to be placed in a position to do so - by Clouston.

Clouston....don't get me started. Jonathan Cheechoo Depreciation Thread - Page 2 489887

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum