GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Holy Depth Batman!

+18
Laker
ddt
mickbud
spader
davetherave
wprager
LeCaptain
Sp00nz
asq2
Hoags
KidKarlsson
Jordo
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
PTFlea
SensGirl11
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

76Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:48 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh also on the Kovalev - Regin - Fisher line that has some great potential. If Regin can gel with those two that is one seriously potent line combination.

77Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:52 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.senschirp.ca/2009/09/practice-lines.html

Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Kovalev-Regin-Fisher
Foligno-Shannon-Cheechoo
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Donovan-Smith

Yes guy!

Kovalev on the left wing?

Shrug Something has to give eventually. May I be so bald as to ask why Fisher and Spezza aren't together? Give Regin a fresh set of linemates and see what kind of chemistry he can bring to the table.

Whatever, I'm just excited about our top 9 now, never mind the top 6. Actually, I like the 12 forward group we can ice a lot.

78Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:02 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Oh also on the Kovalev - Regin - Fisher line that has some great potential. If Regin can gel with those two that is one seriously potent line combination.

he is already geling with the Fish, so with someone that has more skill than Fish, as in Kovalev.

79Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:42 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:First, it's less than 40% (he's *over* 60% on the PK). Second, while he's not the quickest (he can be fast but he needs the whole runway), and as pointed out by asq2, he's got size and reach. He can tie up that opposition center, or skate out to cut down the angles for the point shots.

I Think of him as the new Spezza;

If I'm Clouston, go to him and say

"Jason, you're an important player here and I need you to learn to play on the PK; here's how and here's what I want you to do". I would also highlight the fact that Crosby, Malkin, Ovie? and other high "offensive" caliber players do it (I'd do some research beforehand).

When it comes down to it, I think we'd be surprised by his attitude. Bottom line, the coach wants to use you in more circumstances, give you more ice time and more responsibilities.

I'm not saying that we'd transform Jason Spezza (even the new one) in a defensive powerhouse but I think we would be surprised by the results (hopefully in a good way) Wink

TA

80Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:11 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

TheAvatar wrote:
wprager wrote:First, it's less than 40% (he's *over* 60% on the PK). Second, while he's not the quickest (he can be fast but he needs the whole runway), and as pointed out by asq2, he's got size and reach. He can tie up that opposition center, or skate out to cut down the angles for the point shots.

I Think of him as the new Spezza;

"Jason, you're an important player here and I need you to learn to play on the PK; here's how and here's what I want you to do". I would also highlight the fact that Crosby, Malkin, Ovie? and other high "offensive" caliber players do it (I'd do some research beforehand).

When it comes down to it, I think we'd be surprised by his attitude. Bottom line, the coach wants to use you in more circumstances, give you more ice time and more responsibilities.

I'm not saying that we'd transform Jason Spezza (even the new one) in a defensive powerhouse but I think we would be surprised by the results (hopefully in a good way) Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Icon_wink

TA

I don't think Spezza has ever been against playing the penalty-kill or any other situation, but I do think he needs more instruction. I'd try putting him with Alfredsson or Michalek as a PK tandem to scare the opposition powerplay.

By the way, Ovie's defence consists of a few highlight-reel diving poke-checks, but there's no substance to it. He spends most of his time on D camped out at the blue-line (or further ahead) waiting for a break-out pass. Crosby's not particularly great defensively, but he gives more effort on the defensive end.

Geno's D is the best of the bunch IMO. He's a take-away guru.

81Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:I Think of him as the new Spezza;

I'm not saying that we'd transform Jason Spezza (even the new one) in a defensive powerhouse but I think we would be surprised by the results (hopefully in a good way) Wink

TA

I think that's what happened to a T. I think Clouston watched and got the results of the workout day and finally saw what he wanted from Spezza: a guy in great shape with a great attitude. That'll open a lot of doors for him IMO. Get in with this coach and you're good. Diddle up - and you're in deep Dung.

82Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

http://www.senschirp.ca/2009/09/practice-lines.html

Kovalev-Regin-Fisher
Foligno-Shannon-Cheechoo
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Donovan-Smith

Yes guy!

I want to see that 2nd line in action. Kovalev alongside the already potent combination of Regin and Fisher? It's worth a try. There seems to be endless combinations of lines for our top 9. Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Icon_cool

83Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:26 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

beerandsens wrote:
http://www.senschirp.ca/2009/09/practice-lines.html

Kovalev-Regin-Fisher
Foligno-Shannon-Cheechoo
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Donovan-Smith

Yes guy!

I want to see that 2nd line in action. Kovalev alongside the already potent combination of Regin and Fisher? It's worth a try. There seems to be endless combinations of lines for our top 9. Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Icon_cool

So long as Regin's there and not Kelly, yeah.

84Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yep. If we're rolling out 3 quasi scoring lines, Kelly needs not be a part of it.

85Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:41 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Just curious, was Clouston mixing up lines or sticking to his line combinations for longer periods of time? I know the FFS line was intact for a long time but I can't remember beyond that.

86Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think he tinkered a lot with his lineups during the course of a game. He wasn't doing it off the top of his head like Hartsburg, I think he new what he was doing, but as I recall, he definitely liked to fiddle.

87Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:31 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

I'm not saying that we'd transform Jason Spezza (even the new one) in a defensive powerhouse but I think we would be surprised by the results (hopefully in a good way) Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Icon_wink

TA

I think that's what happened to a T. I think Clouston watched and got the results of the workout day and finally saw what he wanted from Spezza: a guy in great shape with a great attitude. That'll open a lot of doors for him IMO. Get in with this coach and you're good. Diddle up - and you're in deep Dung.

It should also help him offensively. Once he learns the defensive game, and what it takes to be a good defensive player, he should realize what works in the offensive zone, and what won't work either. He'll understand what goes through defenders' heads, and will hopefully be able to adapt his offensive game around that.

88Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

TA

It should also help him offensively. Once he learns the defensive game, and what it takes to be a good defensive player, he should realize what works in the offensive zone, and what won't work either. He'll understand what goes through defenders' heads, and will hopefully be able to adapt his offensive game around that.

It hasn't worked for Chris Kelly. Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 428331

89Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:

For sure. That and if he can commit to playing both ends of the rink, he can certainly win puck battles and transition the puck himself. He can be a big, big player this year if he commits and never lets mistakes bring him down. It might be the most intriguing aspect of the off-season to be honest - especially if Clouston puts a fast, 2-way guy like Michalek with him - and the always dependable Alfie. In fact, that should be the line, no ifs ands or buts. Flanked by two excellent 2-way players will further drive Spezza I would hope.

90Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

He's not known as Hands of Stone for nothing.

91Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:49 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:

He's not paid nothing either. Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 68747

92Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:29 am

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Chris Kelly is Chris Kelly. He's not going to be needed on a team where the top 6 can play well defensively. However on a team where the top 6 is limited to offense, Kelly can be a godsend. He's great at what he does, he's just not going to light up the score board.

He was invaluable to the Senators when they were a one line team, now that they have offensive and defensive depth in the top 6 he is expendable.

Somebody will want him, i just dont think that Murray will get a lot for him at this point in time.

93Holy Depth Batman! - Page 6 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:39 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sp00nz wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Chris Kelly is Chris Kelly. He's not going to be needed on a team where the top 6 can play well defensively. However on a team where the top 6 is limited to offense, Kelly can be a godsend. He's great at what he does, he's just not going to light up the score board.

He was invaluable to the Senators when they were a one line team, now that they have offensive and defensive depth in the top 6 he is expendable.

Somebody will want him, i just dont think that Murray will get a lot for him at this point in time.

At this point in time, I really don't want a lot for him. Seriously, a 3rd rounder and I'm there. Take Schubert as well, and we can make that a 4th rounder.

Not that I want to devalue Kelly's worth. He can be a contributor on a certain type of team. I want him -- Kelly the player -- to wind up winning from this team. He can still get 30 points playing 3rd line, somewhere, killing penalties, filling in on the 2nd line as needed. Just not in Ottawa.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum