GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Holy Depth Batman!

+18
Laker
ddt
mickbud
spader
davetherave
wprager
LeCaptain
Sp00nz
asq2
Hoags
KidKarlsson
Jordo
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
PTFlea
SensGirl11
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

61Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:48 am

ddt

Rookie
Rookie

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:Would love to know the break down of which end of the rink those face-offs were in for the special teams ones.

It would be interesting to know defensive zone and offensive zone percentages for sure but, as far as on the PP and PK I think posession in general in those situations is extremely important regardless of where your faceoff is.

How many face-offs in the offensive zone are there on the PK, and vice-versa on the PP? There can't be that many, comparatively, so the stats would probably be meaningless.

62Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:49 am

Laker

Prospect
Prospect

shabbs wrote:
mickbud wrote:
spader wrote:Since we're talking about stats on this thread now, I have a question that has been bothering me for years.

Every stats page shows the usual goals, assists, points, +/-, etc, but I want to know where we can find non-offensive stats like hits and shots blocked. I have tried and tried, to no avail.

Ideas?

nhl.com...it'll give you hits, don't know about blocked shots though
nhl.com used to have a big "stats machine" that you could customize and generate some pretty cool stats... but I can't seem to find it anymore. Anyone know if it's still around?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20092ALLAASAll&sort=gamesPlayed&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

63Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:56 am

spader

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
mickbud wrote:
spader wrote:Since we're talking about stats on this thread now, I have a question that has been bothering me for years.

Every stats page shows the usual goals, assists, points, +/-, etc, but I want to know where we can find non-offensive stats like hits and shots blocked. I have tried and tried, to no avail.

Ideas?

nhl.com used to have a big "stats machine" that you could customize and generate some pretty cool stats... but I can't seem to find it anymore. Anyone know if it's still around?

As has been brought to my attention, go to NHL.com, click stats, click the players tab, then use the reports menu to get whatever stats you need.

64Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:10 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:
shabbs wrote:
mickbud wrote:

Ideas?

As has been brought to my attention, go to NHL.com, click stats, click the players tab, then use the reports menu to get whatever stats you need.
Yeah, the reports are neat, but not nearly what you could do with the stats machine I remember... oh well. You could slice and dice at will.

65Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:13 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

mickbud wrote:

Ideas?

Just slect the "HITS - Players" report (NHL.com stats page -- the "report" is the last pull-down on the right). It gives you hits, blocks, missed shots, giveaways, takeaways, summary of face offs (won, lost, % of team's FOs taken, shots, gopals, shooting %).

66Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:19 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What I take away from those face off stats is that Spezza does significantly better on face offs with special teams. That, to me, shows that he tends to apply himself more in important situations. While I don't have the breakdown of offensive zone versus defensive zone, it would make sense that, whichever one is more important (i.e. defensive zone on the PK) he would, if anything, pay even more attention.

So, Cory, if you're reading this, try him out on those defensive zone PK face offs. He wins the face off, someone ices it, and he heads to the bench to be replaced by Kelly or Regin.

67Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:57 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:What I take away from those face off stats is that Spezza does significantly better on face offs with special teams. That, to me, shows that he tends to apply himself more in important situations. While I don't have the breakdown of offensive zone versus defensive zone, it would make sense that, whichever one is more important (i.e. defensive zone on the PK) he would, if anything, pay even more attention.

So, Cory, if you're reading this, try him out on those defensive zone PK face offs. He wins the face off, someone ices it, and he heads to the bench to be replaced by Kelly or Regin.

And for the 40 + percent of the time that he loses the faceoff he looks like an ostrich on skates trying to play PK. I don't know if I'm willing to take those odds.

- Unknown Author

68Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:13 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think he's any slower than Ruutu. And he's got a significantly better reach.

69Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:28 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

First, it's less than 40% (he's *over* 60% on the PK). Second, while he's not the quickest (he can be fast but he needs the whole runway), and as pointed out by asq2, he's got size and reach. He can tie up that opposition center, or skate out to cut down the angles for the point shots.

70Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:51 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:First, it's less than 40% (he's *over* 60% on the PK). Second, while he's not the quickest (he can be fast but he needs the whole runway), and as pointed out by asq2, he's got size and reach. He can tie up that opposition center, or skate out to cut down the angles for the point shots.

Any time he's hemmed into his own zone, that I recall, he looks lost out there. Any time he's caught out on a PK in his own zone he looks even worse. It would be great if he could add PK skills to his game but right now I don't have a lot of faith that his faceoff prowess would be worth taking the risk. You also mentioned that he doesn't take very many faceoffs when short handed so lets see a larger sample size before we jump on that bandwagon maybe?

- Unknown Author

71Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:15 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Worth a shot in the early part of the season IMO.

72Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:28 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.senschirp.ca/2009/09/practice-lines.html

Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Kovalev-Regin-Fisher
Foligno-Shannon-Cheechoo
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Donovan-Smith

Yes guy!

73Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:29 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.senschirp.ca/2009/09/practice-lines.html

Kovalev-Regin-Fisher
Foligno-Shannon-Cheechoo
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Donovan-Smith

Yes guy!

Sexy times!

74Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:30 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalev-Regin-Fisher
Foligno-Shannon-Cheechoo
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Donovan-Smith

Yes guy!

Kovalev on the left wing?

75Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:47 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalev-Regin-Fisher
Foligno-Shannon-Cheechoo
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Donovan-Smith

Yes guy!

Based on that lineup it's pretty clear to me that Z. Smith and Carkner go to White Castle Bingo, Schubert gets waived or traded (most likely waived) and likely Lee is dropped down to Bingo as well. That leaves a 23 man roster I believe. I don't know if that includes Winchester or not but I think that is how it would stay until a trade was made to drop our cap hit and roster size to 21 or 22 depending on what Murray ends up deciding to go with.

- Unknown Author

76Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:48 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh also on the Kovalev - Regin - Fisher line that has some great potential. If Regin can gel with those two that is one seriously potent line combination.

- Unknown Author

77Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:52 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

Kovalev-Regin-Fisher
Foligno-Shannon-Cheechoo
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Schubert-Donovan-Smith

Yes guy!

Kovalev on the left wing?

Shrug Something has to give eventually. May I be so bald as to ask why Fisher and Spezza aren't together? Give Regin a fresh set of linemates and see what kind of chemistry he can bring to the table.

Whatever, I'm just excited about our top 9 now, never mind the top 6. Actually, I like the 12 forward group we can ice a lot.

78Holy Depth Batman! - Page 5 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:02 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Oh also on the Kovalev - Regin - Fisher line that has some great potential. If Regin can gel with those two that is one seriously potent line combination.

he is already geling with the Fish, so with someone that has more skill than Fish, as in Kovalev.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum