GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Holy Depth Batman!

+18
Laker
ddt
mickbud
spader
davetherave
wprager
LeCaptain
Sp00nz
asq2
Hoags
KidKarlsson
Jordo
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
PTFlea
SensGirl11
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

46Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:19 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

CCgotITcovered wrote:only when the numbers add up juuuuuustt right Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 668437

Some people are addicted to statsination. They have to do it, three, four times a day.

Hopefully our good friend Prager has a handle on his habit.
Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 668437

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

47Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:I don't think you see spezza with Cheechoo even though the last couple posters believe otherwise. You would be wasted your best pure offensive talent in spezza. Cheechoo is long gone and anyone that watches Western hockey knows that. There is a reason the trade went down te was it did. Although you think you may have added depth and you did with kovalev and michalek, cheechoo is a depth player you don't want at his salary.

If the Ottawa media brings up his challenges as a kid trying to make it in hockey enough times and he is branded as "good in the community" he'll be viewed as a bargain in no time.

On-ice performance in Ottawa is only gravy.
??? I know you can't be serious! A team full of wade reddens! Come on seriously. On ice doesn't matter, I have never heard that before in my life.

Redden's the perfect illustration of my point. Ever listen to a post-game show?

"I think everybody needs to get off Wayne's back. He does a lot for the CHEO and he's been through a lot..."

Your avatar is another example.

48Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:17 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:
wprager wrote:
marakh wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:The only problem I see with Regin is that he can't win faceoffs apparently. They moved Fish back to center in last night's game, whether it was only for the faceoffs is another question. Didn't see the game, so I'm not sure.

Regin and Spezza have to work together to get his faceoffs up to par.

Regin is better at faceoffs than anybody on this team, he may have been average last night, but he certainly can be better than Spezza and FIsher.

Also, if Jordo says Kelly should be dealt, he should be dealt Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 668437

Regin had a great night his first time out. I think he won something like 6 of his first 7. Don't forget that he was probably taking draws against the other team's depth center. By season's end Regin finished with a 53.2 winning percentage. Very good, actually. Spezza, going against the top centers, mind you, ended up at 53.3%.

Yes I am the statsinator.

Do you statsinate in public?
Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 668437

Hey, it was either The Statsinator or The Statzi (Stats Nazi).

49Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:31 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:Is Spezza over 60% ? I think Regin is.

Sorry for calling you out on this, but ...

I was the biggest Regin-in-the-faceoff supporter when he first came up. And because of that I actually kept track of it. He's cooled off in a large way since the first game. If he's going to be playing 2nd line minutes you'd better believe the competition will get stiffer. Undoubtedly, he will get better with practice, but it is unfair to just blurt out that he's the best on the team without anything to back up that claim, and then to further follow up with "I think Regin is". The stats are there in plain sight.

For the record, Vermette was the closest on the team to 60%. I believe he was just over 58% last year. The difference between 58% and 53% may not seem like a lot, but it means you retain possession nearly 9.5% more (55/53 = 1.0943). That's a fairly big advantage, actually.

Winning a face off on the PK generally buys you 15-20 seconds and a chance at a line change. In fact, I'd go so far as to say we could use Spezza to take a draw on the PK and if he wins, ice the puck and replace him with a better penalty-killing forward.

On the PP it's the flip side of what I just said. In general, it leads to better puck possession time, and any time you control the puck your chances at scoring go up, while your opponents' go way, way down.

50Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:55 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
marakh wrote:Is Spezza over 60% ? I think Regin is.

Sorry for calling you out on this, but ...

I was the biggest Regin-in-the-faceoff supporter when he first came up. And because of that I actually kept track of it. He's cooled off in a large way since the first game. If he's going to be playing 2nd line minutes you'd better believe the competition will get stiffer. Undoubtedly, he will get better with practice, but it is unfair to just blurt out that he's the best on the team without anything to back up that claim, and then to further follow up with "I think Regin is". The stats are there in plain sight.

For the record, Vermette was the closest on the team to 60%. I believe he was just over 58% last year. The difference between 58% and 53% may not seem like a lot, but it means you retain possession nearly 9.5% more (55/53 = 1.0943). That's a fairly big advantage, actually.

Winning a face off on the PK generally buys you 15-20 seconds and a chance at a line change. In fact, I'd go so far as to say we could use Spezza to take a draw on the PK and if he wins, ice the puck and replace him with a better penalty-killing forward.

On the PP it's the flip side of what I just said. In general, it leads to better puck possession time, and any time you control the puck your chances at scoring go up, while your opponents' go way, way down.

Do you have a breakdown of there faceoff percentages in the offensive and defensive zones, during PKs and PPs? I only ask because, as you said, those are important areas to be winning faceoffs. I don't mind if a guy is 50% on the faceoffs on average but wins 80% of his faceoffs during PK and PP in the Offensive and Defensive zones.

- Unknown Author

51Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Spezza doesn't take too many short-handed face offs, but there are the quick stats -- first percentage is even strength, second one is shorthanded, last one is powerplay:

Spezza: 51.45% 62.5% 57.6%
Regin: 54% --- 33%

That's last yea. Two things I see from that.

1. Regin has never taken a short-handed face off. That wil change this year if he gets a spot and Kelly is moved out.

2. Spezza does better in special-teams face offs. *MUCH* better. In fact it's his even-strength performance that drags him down. Wow.

What does #2 tell you? My take on it is that he really bears down in those important situations. Perhaps he has a little focussing issue, lacking paying attention, perhaps? Hopefully something that gets worked out as he matures.

For sure, it would be nice if someone pointed this out to Jason. "See what happens when you focus?"

52Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:18 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Would love to know the break down of which end of the rink those face-offs were in for the special teams ones.

53Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:19 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Spezza doesn't take too many short-handed face offs, but there are the quick stats -- first percentage is even strength, second one is shorthanded, last one is powerplay:

Spezza: 51.45% 62.5% 57.6%
Regin: 54% --- 33%

That's last yea. Two things I see from that.

1. Regin has never taken a short-handed face off. That wil change this year if he gets a spot and Kelly is moved out.

2. Spezza does better in special-teams face offs. *MUCH* better. In fact it's his even-strength performance that drags him down. Wow.

What does #2 tell you? My take on it is that he really bears down in those important situations. Perhaps he has a little focussing issue, lacking paying attention, perhaps? Hopefully something that gets worked out as he matures.

For sure, it would be nice if someone pointed this out to Jason. "See what happens when you focus?"

Granted Spezza doesn't take many shorthanded faceoffs but I'm liking his faceoff percentages.

- Unknown Author

54Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Would love to know the break down of which end of the rink those face-offs were in for the special teams ones.

It would be interesting to know defensive zone and offensive zone percentages for sure but, as far as on the PP and PK I think posession in general in those situations is extremely important regardless of where your faceoff is.

- Unknown Author

55Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:32 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Since we're talking about stats on this thread now, I have a question that has been bothering me for years.

Every stats page shows the usual goals, assists, points, +/-, etc, but I want to know where we can find non-offensive stats like hits and shots blocked. I have tried and tried, to no avail.

Ideas?

56Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:33 am

mickbud

Prospect
Prospect

spader wrote:Since we're talking about stats on this thread now, I have a question that has been bothering me for years.

Every stats page shows the usual goals, assists, points, +/-, etc, but I want to know where we can find non-offensive stats like hits and shots blocked. I have tried and tried, to no avail.

Ideas?

nhl.com...it'll give you hits, don't know about blocked shots though

57Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:41 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:Would love to know the break down of which end of the rink those face-offs were in for the special teams ones.

It would be interesting to know defensive zone and offensive zone percentages for sure but, as far as on the PP and PK I think posession in general in those situations is extremely important regardless of where your faceoff is.
The way I view it is that losing a face-off when on the PK in your own zone will most likely result in a scoring chance for the other team. The flip side of that is winning that face-off will allow you to send the puck down the ice.

Similarly, while on the PP, winning a faceoff in your opponent's end should setup a scoring chance nicely... but losing a face-off usually results in your team having to go back to retrieve the puck.

I've always felt a great face-off man was an important and much over looked asset, but I've found that I'm usually alone in that though.

But, I do agree, in special teams... possession is key.

58Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:44 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

mickbud wrote:
spader wrote:Since we're talking about stats on this thread now, I have a question that has been bothering me for years.

Ideas?

Thanks mickbud. I never recognized the "reports" function before. I knew the answer would be embarassingly simple.

59Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:45 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Murray on Cowen;

Tough call

Murray said it was difficult to send D Jared Cowen, the club’s No. 1 pick in 2009, back to the WHL’s Spokane Chiefs following the game in Regina.

“I can just envision him in November being able to play at a very good level in this league,” said Murray. “He was a tough one for me because I really like young players that step up the way he did. In the long run, it’s probably better for him.”

Cowen, who had spent the last six months recovering from knee surgery, said he can return to Spokane confident he can compete at the NHL level.

“It’s a bit of setback, but I’ll go back to Spokane and, hopefully, be the leader and be the guy that they want me to be,” said Cowen, who is expected to play for Team Canada at the world junior championship in Saskatoon.

“The biggest thing for me is to get used to the speed (at the NHL level). This was kind of a roller-coaster ride to get back playing.”

60Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:46 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

mickbud wrote:

Ideas?

nhl.com used to have a big "stats machine" that you could customize and generate some pretty cool stats... but I can't seem to find it anymore. Anyone know if it's still around?

61Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:48 am

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

How many face-offs in the offensive zone are there on the PK, and vice-versa on the PP? There can't be that many, comparatively, so the stats would probably be meaningless.

62Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:49 am

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

shabbs wrote:
mickbud wrote:

Ideas?

nhl.com used to have a big "stats machine" that you could customize and generate some pretty cool stats... but I can't seem to find it anymore. Anyone know if it's still around?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20092ALLAASAll&sort=gamesPlayed&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

63Holy Depth Batman! - Page 4 Empty Re: Holy Depth Batman! Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:56 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
mickbud wrote:

Ideas?

As has been brought to my attention, go to NHL.com, click stats, click the players tab, then use the reports menu to get whatever stats you need.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum