GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk

+20
The Silfer Server
TeamRenzo
Tuk Tuk
beerandsens
Acrobat
Vandelay
Hoags
wprager
SensGirl11
PTFlea
TheAvatar
Jordo
spader
dennycrane
PKC
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
jamvan
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Should Melnyk bring Dany back to the Sens?

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_lcap220%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 8 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_lcap210%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 10% [ 4 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_lcap25%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 2 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_lcap223%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 9 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_lcap23%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_lcap20%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_lcap233%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 13 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_lcap28%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 40

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

76Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

speklund is saying there is a deal on that would send cheechoo to the islanders adn he believes it could be done soon (within 24 hours) maybe clearing space to go after healtey???

77Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:53 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:speklund is saying there is a deal on that would send cheechoo to the islanders adn he believes it could be done soon (within 24 hours) maybe clearing space to go after healtey???

SJ has to clear cap space no matter what. They are just $1.3 mil under the cap now, and still have 5 roster positions to fill (4 forwards, 1 backup goalie).

That, combined with the fact that Ron Wilson has promised a major roster shake up, suggests to me that we must expect major movement in SJ.

Whether or not any of that has anything to do with, or might lead to, a deal for Heatley, however, is I think too soon to tell.

78Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:10 pm

Tuk Tuk

Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:speklund is saying there is a deal on that would send cheechoo to the islanders adn he believes it could be done soon (within 24 hours) maybe clearing space to go after healtey???

SJ has to clear cap space no matter what. They are just $1.3 mil under the cap now, and still have 5 roster positions to fill (4 forwards, 1 backup goalie).

That, combined with the fact that Ron Wilson has promised a major roster shake up, suggests to me that we must expect major movement in SJ.

Whether or not any of that has anything to do with, or might lead to, a deal for Heatley, however, is I think too soon to tell.

What would the Leafs coach care what San Jose does Sarcasm

Doug Wilson might care though Smile

79Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:13 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Tuk Tuk Goose wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

What would the Leafs coach care what San Jose does Sarcasm

Doug Wilson might care though Smile

So insert "Doug Wilson" and the point remains the same.

SJ has to move salary, no matter what.

80Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:28 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I can't wait until SJ makes there moves so we can see where Heatley ends up. If they become the next team to move in a different direction and away from Heatley I would suspect we would see a Heater to Edmonton announcement shortly aftewards.

81Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:01 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/07/10/10095276.html

Heatley haunts Melnyk

Sens owner laments $14M he's given winger in last year: 'I have to stop thinking about it'

By CHRIS STEVENSON Sun Media

Eugene Melnyk is frustrated.
The Senators owner didn’t like stroking a cheque for unhappy winger Dany Heatley, who received a $4-million (all terms US) lump-sum payment of his salary July 1, meaning Melnyk has shelled out $14 million since last fall for Heatley.
“For one year of play, 39 goals ... I have to stop thinking about it,” Melnyk said on the Team 1200 yesterday.
But Melnyk said he and his hockey braintrust can’t do much more now than sit back and let the Heatley situation play itself out.
Melnyk said he wishes Heatley’s request to be traded hadn’t become public, though it’s still not clear exactly how word of his request leaked out.
“Whoever is handling this gave him some bad advice. It’s the stupidest thing you can do, make this pronouncement and do it this way,” said Melnyk. Heatley is represented by agents J.P. Barry and Stacey McAlpine.
They did not make the request public when it was communicated to Senators GM Bryan Murray June 4, but they have since confirmed Heatley asked to be traded.
The fact it became public is moot now. It is unlikely a deal to move a player of Heatley’s stature could have been engineered without word getting around NHL circles that he had asked to be traded. It remains to be seen how public knowledge of the situation has affected the process other than to ignite a firestorm of criticism directed at Heatley by Senators fans.
“We’ve done everything to accommodate his request,” said Melnyk. “At this point, we’re sitting back and looking forward to hearing what he’s got to say.”
Melnyk said he knows there are rumours flying around saying there must be more to the situation than just friction between Heatley and coach Cory Clouston and unhappiness on Heatley’s part in the direction the franchise is taking.
“Everyone is looking for some conspiracy theory, but it’s as simple as that,” said Melnyk. “The bottom line is there is no real conspiracy. Everything you’ve seen and heard in the media is accurate.”
Melnyk said a deal to send Heatley to the Oilers is still on the table, “but only for so long and after that his only option is to report to training camp.”
Alex Kovalev was signed as a free agent Monday to a two-year, $10-million deal.
“We have to move on and we’re moving on,” said Melnyk. “We got an elite forward who can replace (Heatley). Either way, we’re ready to go forward ... without Alex signing on, I might be nervous about our competitiveness. There will be nights when people will be in awe. (Kovalev) playing with (Jason) Spezza or alongside Alfie (Daniel Alfredsson), I think you’re going to see magic.”

Not too much new here, but I didn't know that there is still an Oilers deal "on the table". I just thought there was still potential for a deal to be put together. I wonder how this deal differs from the one pre-bonus payment?

82Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:19 am

beerandsens wrote:http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/07/10/10095276.html

Heatley haunts Melnyk

Sens owner laments $14M he's given winger in last year: 'I have to stop thinking about it'

By CHRIS STEVENSON Sun Media

Eugene Melnyk is frustrated.
The Senators owner didn’t like stroking a cheque for unhappy winger Dany Heatley, who received a $4-million (all terms US) lump-sum payment of his salary July 1, meaning Melnyk has shelled out $14 million since last fall for Heatley.
“For one year of play, 39 goals ... I have to stop thinking about it,” Melnyk said on the Team 1200 yesterday.
But Melnyk said he and his hockey braintrust can’t do much more now than sit back and let the Heatley situation play itself out.
Melnyk said he wishes Heatley’s request to be traded hadn’t become public, though it’s still not clear exactly how word of his request leaked out.
“Whoever is handling this gave him some bad advice. It’s the stupidest thing you can do, make this pronouncement and do it this way,” said Melnyk. Heatley is represented by agents J.P. Barry and Stacey McAlpine.
They did not make the request public when it was communicated to Senators GM Bryan Murray June 4, but they have since confirmed Heatley asked to be traded.
The fact it became public is moot now. It is unlikely a deal to move a player of Heatley’s stature could have been engineered without word getting around NHL circles that he had asked to be traded. It remains to be seen how public knowledge of the situation has affected the process other than to ignite a firestorm of criticism directed at Heatley by Senators fans.
“We’ve done everything to accommodate his request,” said Melnyk. “At this point, we’re sitting back and looking forward to hearing what he’s got to say.”
Melnyk said he knows there are rumours flying around saying there must be more to the situation than just friction between Heatley and coach Cory Clouston and unhappiness on Heatley’s part in the direction the franchise is taking.
“Everyone is looking for some conspiracy theory, but it’s as simple as that,” said Melnyk. “The bottom line is there is no real conspiracy. Everything you’ve seen and heard in the media is accurate.”
Melnyk said a deal to send Heatley to the Oilers is still on the table, “but only for so long and after that his only option is to report to training camp.”
Alex Kovalev was signed as a free agent Monday to a two-year, $10-million deal.
“We have to move on and we’re moving on,” said Melnyk. “We got an elite forward who can replace (Heatley). Either way, we’re ready to go forward ... without Alex signing on, I might be nervous about our competitiveness. There will be nights when people will be in awe. (Kovalev) playing with (Jason) Spezza or alongside Alfie (Daniel Alfredsson), I think you’re going to see magic.”

Not too much new here, but I didn't know that there is still an Oilers deal "on the table". I just thought there was still potential for a deal to be put together. I wonder how this deal differs from the one pre-bonus payment?

Less salary coming back to Ottawa I'd say.

83Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:54 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Zool>what will you do with your sig...

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Ml2ofs
DIE HEATLEY!

...if M&M say all is forgiven (or they can't trade him) and Dany comes back?

84Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:08 pm

davetherave wrote:Zool>what will you do with your sig...

DIE HEATLEY!

Fortunately for me, I don't have to forgive Heatley, or even tolerate him, since I am not part of the organization. I can hate him from afar. The avatar will probably die though once he is moved. It will be missed. Sad

85Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:39 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Zoolander wrote:

DIE HEATLEY!

Fortunately for me, I don't have to forgive Heatley, or even tolerate him, since I am not part of the organization. I can hate him from afar. The avatar will probably die though once he is moved. It will be missed. Sad

I think somebody is back from Italy... With a vengeance!!!

Vendetta Heatley...

86Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:30 am

Bass Destruction wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

DIE HEATLEY!

I think somebody is back from Italy... With a vengeance!!!

Vendetta Heatley...

Haha yup. I hate Heatley with a passion, but realistically, I think that Murray should wait until the deadline, which I've been saying before the draft. I'm fine with hating him while he lights it up heading into the Olympics, which is perfect, since the deadline will be shortly after. Then we can demand a king's ransom for him and practically take our pick of offers. Since only a small portion of his cap hit (and even less salary) would have to be assumed by the team acquiring him, we'll get the maximum value at that point, I believe. The team can worry about his future years cap hit in the offseason where they are allowed to be over the cap (10% I think???) and have the time to not make a knee jerk move to be cap compliant. Moving Heatley anytime before the deadline now seems like settling to me. With the Olympics coming up, we know he's not going to sit out, nor will he be coasting. He has to make the Canadian team still. I don't think he's an absolute lock at this point. Not with this saga he's put his team through. Yzerman has to have it in the back of his mind whether or not this guy can be a team player for Canada.

EDIT: I should reword that to say that I'd been saying before the draft that Murray should wait until the deadline only if Heatley wasn't moved before July 1, which obviously he wasn't.

Last edited by Zoolander on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

87Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:31 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

^ I agree with that take 100%.

88Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:33 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I agree too, but the one kink in that plan would be what if the team is on fire next year with Heatley in the lineup? If he is still there, we would have one of the nicest top 2 lines in the league. If Leclaire is playing lights out, it could help even further. Obviously there area few what-ifs in there, but none that are preposterous. If it looks like they have a legitimate shot at a long playoff run, it may be difficult to trade him. But then again, that would also only help his trade value in the off season.

I still back Murray fully in waiting this one out and getting a deal that mkes sense for Ottawa, not just one that makes sense for Dany.

89Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:39 am

Mojo wrote:I agree too, but the one kink in that plan would be what if the team is on fire next year with Heatley in the lineup? If he is still there, we would have one of the nicest top 2 lines in the league. If Leclaire is playing lights out, it could help even further. Obviously there area few what-ifs in there, but none that are preposterous. If it looks like they have a legitimate shot at a long playoff run, it may be difficult to trade him. But then again, that would also only help his trade value in the off season.

I still back Murray fully in waiting this one out and getting a deal that mkes sense for Ottawa, not just one that makes sense for Dany.

Well, unless Heatley publicly rescinds his trade demand and delivers meals-on-wheels on days off, and spends whatever free time he has left helping old people cross the street, I don't see how he can stay here long term. The kink you speak of sounds pretty far fetched to me. That's not only the stars lining up, but the planets and comets too. The only way he stays to help this team on a playoff run is if he's absolutely dominant and this team is a clear-cut contender for the Cup, nothing less, in my opinion. He's burned too many bridges with too many people. I doubt we are in that position anyway, and whenever Heatley is traded, if the return is decent enough, it should be an easy sell to the fans.

I have even less respect for this cheeseball now that I've heard that it's quite possibly his girlfriend/demon spawn who's orchestrating this. Bro's before Ho's guy!!! WHAT THE Diddle?!

90Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:28 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

First, I still don't see it said anywhere that his girlfriend has had anything to do with this. Does Dany even have a significant other (I'm talking about off-ice, so other than Spezza)?

Second, I think we are all over-using that Team Canada card. He's got the record and still has some years after this to pad it further. While I'm sure he'd *love* to be on that team, I don't think it's necessarily his greatest desire. If he's still on the Sens roster come October, I can easily see him playing his usual game -- barely any forecheck, no backcheck, stick in the air waiting for a pass. If he's passionate about leaving, and if he's convinced that playing well is the best chance he has, then we might see him look like he gives a crap.

The kink is very far-fetched. The Sens don't have the D necessary for a long Cup run. Boston, with Chara in the lineup and Thomas playing (for the most part) excellent in goal, wasn't enough. We will be there when Karlsson, Wiercioch and Cowen are in the lineup, and with 3-5 years' combined experience between them, but we're not there yet.

Now, the scary part about a deadline deal. What happens if he is moved, plays lights out and wins the Cup? I'd prefer that he is moved to a team that is struggling to make the playoffs. The return will be better (picks).

91Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:First, I still don't see it said anywhere that his girlfriend has had anything to do with this. Does Dany even have a significant other (I'm talking about off-ice, so other than Spezza)?

Second, I think we are all over-using that Team Canada card. He's got the record and still has some years after this to pad it further. While I'm sure he'd *love* to be on that team, I don't think it's necessarily his greatest desire. If he's still on the Sens roster come October, I can easily see him playing his usual game -- barely any forecheck, no backcheck, stick in the air waiting for a pass. If he's passionate about leaving, and if he's convinced that playing well is the best chance he has, then we might see him look like he gives a crap.

The kink is very far-fetched. The Sens don't have the D necessary for a long Cup run. Boston, with Chara in the lineup and Thomas playing (for the most part) excellent in goal, wasn't enough. We will be there when Karlsson, Wiercioch and Cowen are in the lineup, and with 3-5 years' combined experience between them, but we're not there yet.

Now, the scary part about a deadline deal. What happens if he is moved, plays lights out and wins the Cup? I'd prefer that he is moved to a team that is struggling to make the playoffs. The return will be better (picks).

Very kinky post.

Now, about that trade scenario of yours...doesn't Dany have the final say on where he goes? He'll probably be even MORE picky in March, right?

92Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:57 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If Dany is even more picky in March then we wait until draft day. By March we will have paid him about 85% of his salary. We get a good deal, or no deal.

93Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:09 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:If Dany is even more picky in March then we wait until draft day. By March we will have paid him about 85% of his salary. We get a good deal, or no deal.

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 6 Howiem11

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum