GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Return of Razor Ray?

+7
dennycrane
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
caissie_1
asq2
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Ray Emery: From Russia With Love?

The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_lcap20%The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_lcap20%The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_lcap246%The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_rcap2 46% [ 6 ]
The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_lcap238%The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_rcap2 38% [ 5 ]
The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_lcap215%The Return of Razor Ray? Vote_rcap2 15% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1The Return of Razor Ray? Empty The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:58 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Ray Emery's recent money and contract issues with his KHL Russian team, as well his YouTubed spat with an Atlant trainer, have sparked talk of a possible return to the NHL.

Here's the latest from ESPN's Pierre Lebrun:

Agent: Emery wants to finish what he started with KHL's Mytishchi Atlant

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

by Pierre LeBrun ESPN.com

We have an update for you on that Ray Emery situation we first told you about this past weekend. The former Ottawa Senators goalie has had a change of heart and returned to his Russian hockey club in the KHL.

"I talked to Ray [on Tuesday], and we made the decision that he should go back," his agent, J.P. Barry, told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "I felt that he should finish what he started and that we would continue to work out the compensation issue."

Emery didn't report back to Mytishchi Atlant last week after the league's break, citing a breach of contract with the club. Emery and Barry believed the Russian team has been using the wrong exchange rate to pay the goalie, and by their count, they were down about 33 percent in pay throughout the course of the season. Emery threatened to stay home in Ottawa until the matter was resolved, but he arrived back in Russia on Tuesday.

"I still believe they are technically in breach, but he wants to finish what he started, and we'll keep working on it with them and try and work it out," Barry said.

Barry took some calls from NHL teams while Emery stayed in Ottawa last week, but that matter will have to be continued during the offseason.

"There was NHL interest here, but the problem was that even if he signed, he would have to clear waivers, and we had no idea where he would have ended up," Barry said. "He'll be an unrestricted free agent and can hit the market as early as May."

Emery has been terrific this season, going 20-6-0 with a 2.00 goals-against average and .930 save percentage.

The question appears now not to be if Ray will return, but when and where. JP Barry appears to indicate that Ray can sell himself to the highest bidder come June.

Will Ray make a comeback in the NHL next year? What kind of money could he expect? And where could Free Agent Emery end up?

2The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:59 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

What teams need goal-tending? Colorado, in all likelyhood, despite Raycroft being better than he was in Toronto.

Detroit needs goaltending too, but I don't know if I ever see that happening.

3The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Don't forget to vote in the poll!

4The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:10 am

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Yeh! He will go to a mid-pack team IMO. Someone like Colorado wich really lacks goaltending and could be in a way more better position with a solid goaltender.

5The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:14 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I voted bottom feeder. Atlanta is a possible desitination with all the issues they've had with Lehtonen in terms of consistancy and staying healthy.

- Unknown Author

6The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:15 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

What do you all think about the Rangers? Imagine Sugar Ray in Manhattan...they need a battler there.

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

7The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:15 am

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I voted bottom feeder. Atlanta is a possible desitination with all the issues they've had with Lehtonen in terms of consistancy and staying healthy.

Really but they would then have Lethonen, Emery and Pavelc. Pavelec IMO should be NHL ready next year and he's gonna be pretty good. I dont think Atlanta goes after Ray but you never know!

8The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:17 am

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:Caissie, what do you think about the Rangers? Imagine Sugar Ray in Manhattan...

Maybe. but that would mean being #2 to Lundqvist. I dont see Ray signing with a team that has a definite #1. I see him going to a team in need of a #1 were he can prove his worth and get the starting job. If he goes to the Rangers he's praticaly wanting to be a #2 guy.

9The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:20 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Caissie, being Lundqvist's backup can't be a bad thing...and NY would be a smart career move for the Razor.

I can see Glen Sather thinking about this one.

10The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:22 am

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Maybe but this is Rayzor. Is he gonna be happy comming to a team and sitting on the bench. I really belive he is wanna comme back and not wait 1-3 years to get a shot. It's razor he want's it now. If he goes to an elite goalie team why not NJ. He could back up Brodeur for the end of his career. Then again maybe Clemensen will be there guy.

11The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:34 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Caissie, Lou Lamoriello is definitely not a GM who takes a chance on an Emery type.

Glen Sather likes 'difficult' players (like Jagr, Avery).

Let's say...even if Ray signed a 1-year with the Rangers and played 25-30 games...he re-establishes his value. There's no pressure on him--or the team taking a chance on him--as a #1. Plus he plays in a major market.

I also think your suggestion of Colorado makes sense, and I can see Brian Burke talking to Emery. Ray has the 'truculence, testosterone and pugnacity' Burke says he is going to demand from his players.

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

12The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 am

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

I could see Toronto as a destination. As for NJ you are probably rigth. I dont want him to go to Toronto as he could haunt us in the future. I would be glad if he goes to COL. Well see but im pretty confident he will be in the NHL next year.

13The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:42 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

caissie_1 wrote:I could see Toronto as a destination. As for NJ you are probably rigth. I dont want him to go to Toronto as he could haunt us in the future. I would be glad if he goes to COL. Well see but im pretty confident he will be in the NHL next year.

IMHO Toronto and the Rangers would have to be considered as likely destinations, based on the personalities of their respective GMs and their stated need for 'battlers'.

Rayzor would probably jump at the chance to haunt the Senators.

14The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 am

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Definetly he would. Im sure he would go to Toronto with a factor being facing us 6 times a year. He's that kind of guy who want's to make us pay for letting him go.

15The Return of Razor Ray? Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:49 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

IMHO JP Barry has probably already talked to Burke and Sather (see Lebrun's reference above).

I would expect that if so, they told him Ray's best bet was to keep his head down, take the 30% hit if necessary, finish out his time in Russia and come back with a clean slate.

Emery as a Maple Leaf under Wilson and Burke? That's one mean junkyard dog unleashed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum