GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk

+20
The Silfer Server
TeamRenzo
Tuk Tuk
beerandsens
Acrobat
Vandelay
Hoags
wprager
SensGirl11
PTFlea
TheAvatar
Jordo
spader
dennycrane
PKC
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
jamvan
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
24 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Should Melnyk bring Dany back to the Sens?

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_lcap220%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_rcap2 20% [ 8 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_lcap210%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_rcap2 10% [ 4 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_lcap25%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_rcap2 5% [ 2 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_lcap223%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_rcap2 23% [ 9 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_lcap23%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_lcap20%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_lcap233%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_rcap2 33% [ 13 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_lcap28%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Vote_rcap2 8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 40

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Empty Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:14 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From Ken Warren at The Ottawa Citizen today...

Heatley's return 'doable': Melnyk
Countless issues need to be resolved, says Sens' owner
Ken Warren, OttawaCitizen.com, July 10 2009

Alex Kovalev and Dany Heatley playing together with the Ottawa Senators?

It's possible, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said Thursday.

"Yes, absolutely," Melnyk said, when asked about that possibility during an interview on CFRA. "We're not far off (above the salary cap). We've traded (Alex) Auld away and that saved us $1 million, and I think we're about $1.5 million over the salary cap of ($56.8 million). We're fine."

Melnyk cautioned, however, that countless issues would have to be ironed out before Heatley would be accepted back, owing to the fact that he requested a trade away from the club, apparently because of conflicts with coach Cory Clouston.

"There's a whole lot of work that would have to be done to have Dany come back. With the fans, with the players, with the dressing room.

"But would it be doable? I think so. Right now, as far as I'm concerned, and I've said it before, we kept our part of the bargain. We expect him to be at training camp, unless something happens otherwise."

Melnyk hinted that a trade could be close. He says general manager Bryan Murray is in daily talks with Heatley's agents and suggested the Edmonton Oilers are still interested in the two-time 50-goal scorer.

Last week, Heatley rejected a potential deal that would have sent him to Edmonton for Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid.

Naturally, Melnyk put a positive spin on Monday's signing of Kovalev.

"We just sold our first Kovalev jersey (Wednesday)," he said. "We have literally had thousands of fans calling and hundreds of season tickets sold in the past couple of days."

---

So...IF Dany returns, will the team forgive him? Will the fans forgive him?

Should the Sens bring Dany back, or move on?

...among other questions that may come to mind...

Looking forward to the comments from GM Hockey Members.

Last edited by davetherave on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No brainer to answer this one.

Dany goes if they can find the right deal for both sides. If not then keep him here and wait until that deal materializes. With Kovalev here it allows Murray the luxury of waiting. The amount that they're over the cap is small enough that they can find ways to move out salary to be cap compliant for the season.

- Unknown Author

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Let him face the music and let's move on. A Sens team with Heatley on it is scary to say the least.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:No brainer to answer this one.

Dany goes if they can find the right deal for both sides. If not then keep him here and wait until that deal materializes. With Kovalev here it allows Murray the luxury of waiting. The amount that they're over the cap is small enough that they can find ways to move out salary to be cap compliant for the season.

you summed it up very well, however, one of the vets must stand up to Heatley before he even enters the dressing room and say no BS around the young guys, not sure if Alfie will do it, but there is Phillips, Fisher, Neil, someone has to step up to that guy before he ruins any of our prospects.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Or as some like to say - Don't let him take up all the oxygen in the room.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Or as some like to say - Don't let him take up all the oxygen in the room.

that works too, shove a sock in his mouth if he gets too unruly.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Just listened to the Melnyk call in on TGOR/Team 1200 radio.

He measured his words carefully, but the message was clear...he wants Heatley gone ASAP. "When we signed Alex (Kovalev) we got a player who can replace Dany," he said.

PS he was very excited about Kovalev as a Sen, saying, "I watched him last year and he killed us," adding he had no hesitation about the signing.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sounds like he echoed his remarks from his CFRA interview yesterday. I was kind of hoping the Team would push him a little more with some follow up questions on what was said yesterday.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Just listened to the Melnyk call in on TGOR/Team 1200 radio.

He measured his words carefully, but the message was clear...he wants Heatley gone ASAP. "When we signed Alex (Kovalev) we got a player who can replace Dany," he said.

PS he was very excited about Kovalev as a Sen, saying, "I watched him last year and he killed us," adding he had no hesitation about the signing.

from what I read Melnyk was the reason why Kovalev is here, saw that Kovalev was available, asked why Murray hadn't talked to him, then told him to get on the phone.

10Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:00 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Sounds like he echoed his remarks from his CFRA interview yesterday. I was kind of hoping the Team would push him a little more with some follow up questions on what was said yesterday.

Those shills? lol

Sweaterman is the biggest company man on the air.

11Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:11 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If that was all he was going to do why didn't they just replay the CFRA interview and go get breakfast? LOL.

- Unknown Author

12Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:If that was all he was going to do why didn't they just replay the CFRA interview and go get breakfast? LOL.

Because these low-rent "personalities" like to play radio host whenever they get the chance.

13Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:20 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:If that was all he was going to do why didn't they just replay the CFRA interview and go get breakfast? LOL.

Because these low-rent "personalities" like to play radio host whenever they get the chance.

well when GM hockey gets to be big enough to have a radio station, I nominate SSF to be the radio personality as he will be a welcome change from those low rent personalities. Rockon :___:

14Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:25 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensFan71 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

well when GM hockey gets to be big enough to have a radio station, I nominate SSF to be the radio personality as he will be a welcome change from those low rent personalities. Rockon :___:

Then every day would be "Metal Monday".

Seriously, these 1200 guys are under the thumb of the Senators organization, as was proven when they complied with the cease and desist order regarding making fun of the "Spartan".

Besides, they're all there to try and take a step up to bigger and better things. They're like the Rogers 22 of radio.

15Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:27 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think the Senators should always consider the possibility of bringing Heatley back. Given the current trade landscape and cap situation of the teams that Heatley has on his list, it's evident that any trade will not involve an elite or premier talent coming back.

This guy is still a 50-goal, 100-point player on a team that doesn't have a coach who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Should he return? I don't think so, unfortunately. Too much damage has been done in my estimation. There are always going to be questions asked of him during the season about his willingness to play here if he has an off game or whatever. It's a tricky situation for sure. But it's the type of scenario the Sens should just move on from.

At the same time though, I'm definitely a proponent of waiting for the right trade to materialize rather than just offloading him for the sake of it.

Hopefully things work out with this Heatley situation. This team seems to be turning a corner rather quickly on the coming season, it would be a shame to have something like this hang over the players and team.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum