GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Return of Razor Ray?

+7
dennycrane
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
caissie_1
asq2
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Ray Emery: From Russia With Love?

The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_lcap246%The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 46% [ 6 ]
The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_lcap238%The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 5 ]
The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_lcap215%The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:28 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:Prags, I couldn't fit 30 clubs into the poll LOL...

My understanding is that Emery has a one year KHL deal. He's free to walk end of May.

No, I just thought the poll implied he'd either be in the NHL by trade deadline, or sent to the AHL first, or never make it back. I think he'll be back but I doubt anyone will grab him now for the playoff run. Although you never know. Could the Rangers field a team with Avery, Emery and Simon?

32The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:28 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

maybe it's just me that is thinking this way ( I voted bottom feeder by the way), but the obvious choice for sugar ray is LA, they have no solid starting goaltender prospect and if Ray hasn't changed his life style any, LA is the perfect place, he can hang out with the stars and party up with Kobe.

33The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:29 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensFan71 wrote:maybe it's just me that is thinking this way ( I voted bottom feeder by the way), but the obvious choice for sugar ray is LA, they have no solid starting goaltender prospect and if Ray hasn't changed his life style any, LA is the perfect place, he can hang out with the stars and party up with Kobe.

Word.

34The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:37 pm

SensFan71 wrote:maybe it's just me that is thinking this way ( I voted bottom feeder by the way), but the obvious choice for sugar ray is LA, they have no solid starting goaltender prospect and if Ray hasn't changed his life style any, LA is the perfect place, he can hang out with the stars and party up with Kobe.
LA already traded LaBarbera to fix a log jam at goal. the last thing they need is another goalie.

35The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tukker wrote:
LA already traded LaBarbera to fix a log jam at goal. the last thing they need is another goalie.
Could they use a fighter? Wink

36The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:I don't think there were enough choices for the survey Smile

Personally, I think he has a shot but I don't know if it will be this year. I don't think he'll be back with the Sens because of the way Elliott is playing (plus Murray has already admitted mistakes by firing two coaches; would he admit giving up on a 25 year old goalie as well?)

There are lots of teams that might be interested in him, but there are too many uncertainties to risk doing it this year:
1. Contract status with Mytichi
2. Does 2.0/.930 in the KHL equate to being NHL ready?
3. Has Ray turned it around?
4. Re-entry waivers problems -- someone else could grab him.

I'll tell you what, though, I wonder if Gainey is thinking about it.

Seems to me that Murray picking him back up may be a safer option than having him go to another team and be a star. If he comes in, Murray lays it on Wilson's lap. If Emery is back to his old ways, then both go. If Emery is a star, then Murray is a genius for "banishing him" for a year, then bringing back a more contrite focused star to work with our "star-in-the-making" (Elliot).

The only downside is the potential negative impact on Elliot, but there are ways of insulating him, and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders anyhow.

37The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:39 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote: Seems to me that Murray picking him back up may be a safer option than having him go to another team and be a star. If he comes in, Murray lays it on Wilson's lap. If Emery is back to his old ways, then both go. If Emery is a star, then Murray is a genius for "banishing him" for a year, then bringing back a more contrite focused star to work with our "star-in-the-making" (Elliot).

The only downside is the potential negative impact on Elliot, but there are ways of insulating him, and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders anyhow.

As Emery, according the information from JP Barry, will be a free agent, Bryan Murray won't have first rights to Sugar Ray.

I suspect that given the chance to play in Toronto--who CAN use a goalie AND a fighter--that Emery will play his tail off.

38The Return of Razor Ray? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Return of Razor Ray? Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:10 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
Acrobat wrote: Seems to me that Murray picking him back up may be a safer option than having him go to another team and be a star. If he comes in, Murray lays it on Wilson's lap. If Emery is back to his old ways, then both go. If Emery is a star, then Murray is a genius for "banishing him" for a year, then bringing back a more contrite focused star to work with our "star-in-the-making" (Elliot).

As Emery, according the information from JP Barry, will be a free agent, Bryan Murray won't have first rights to Sugar Ray.

I suspect that given the chance to play in Toronto--who CAN use a goalie AND a fighter--that Emery will play his tail off.

I wasn't suggesting that it would go by draft rights, I was merely suggesting that it might be worse for Murray if Emery plays "lights out" somewhere else, then if he comes here and craps the bed again - Murray still has someone to blame [though he may not have any more mulligans].

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see Emery take a salary hit to go to Toronto, as it would give him the best opportunity to show up the Ottawa players, fans, and management. And yes, I agree he would play better in Toronto than Ottawa or anywhere else for just that reason.

Ultimately, the best scenario for Murray is if he goes to a weak team in the west (do those still exist?) or a team like Florida, where the players in front of him will be of no help, the media spotlight will be non-existent, and the party scene will be enough to distract him from hockey. Worst-case scenario is a team like Detroit (great defense, thus even a hack goalie will look respectable), Nashville (soon-to-be great defense corps), maybe LA (same reason), or Toronto (for reasons detailed above).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum