GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk

+20
The Silfer Server
TeamRenzo
Tuk Tuk
beerandsens
Acrobat
Vandelay
Hoags
wprager
SensGirl11
PTFlea
TheAvatar
Jordo
spader
dennycrane
PKC
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
jamvan
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Should Melnyk bring Dany back to the Sens?

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_lcap220%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 8 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_lcap210%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 10% [ 4 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_lcap25%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 2 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_lcap223%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 9 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_lcap23%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_lcap20%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_lcap233%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 13 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_lcap28%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 40

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

46Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Vandelay wrote:
Jordo wrote:
Hoags wrote:I think the Senators are handling the Heatley problem correctly.

Try and trade Heatley but at the same time leave the door open for the very real possibility he may have to return here.

If he does come back I think he'll give it all he has (esp. if he wants to make the Olympic team), and I think the team and coach will be able to bury the hatchet.

Trading him is best for everyone involved but it's not looking good right now.

Welcome Hoags, and good post-

As someone mentioned earlier- all of this Melnyk talk is just a political safety move in the event that Murray cannot trade him, and he ends up back at Scotiabank Place come fall.

I really think that as this thing starts to wear off, GMs will start to excuse all the Dung that has gone on, or at least forget about it- and pull the trigger on a deal.

I still think that something will go on between San Jose or Colorado in the coming days. It would be great to get Marleau in here. Ideally bring in Marleau + Cheechoo+ future considerations/picks for Heatley + Smith. it's a bit of a cap dump for both sides, but I BELIEVE will keep both under the cap- and everyone happy.
The more of this kindu thing the better...not sure gms are buying it but the more we make it look like we're expecting Heatley to come back to play with Ottawa, the better. I think teams are approaching this like at some point before the season, we'll have no choice but to accept the best offer to a place Heatley wants to go. If Melnyk doing interviews like this can change that, great. Of course, we're all dying to get rid of him for a good return but the best is for management, the team, and the fans to play it up like we prefer him to stay.

Vandelay, could you post more please? I can never get enough Costanza in my life. Smile

47Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Vandelay

Sophomore
Sophomore

Zoolander wrote:
Vandelay wrote:
Jordo wrote:

Try and trade Heatley but at the same time leave the door open for the very real possibility he may have to return here.

If he does come back I think he'll give it all he has (esp. if he wants to make the Olympic team), and I think the team and coach will be able to bury the hatchet.

As someone mentioned earlier- all of this Melnyk talk is just a political safety move in the event that Murray cannot trade him, and he ends up back at Scotiabank Place come fall.

I really think that as this thing starts to wear off, GMs will start to excuse all the Dung that has gone on, or at least forget about it- and pull the trigger on a deal.

I still think that something will go on between San Jose or Colorado in the coming days. It would be great to get Marleau in here. Ideally bring in Marleau + Cheechoo+ future considerations/picks for Heatley + Smith. it's a bit of a cap dump for both sides, but I BELIEVE will keep both under the cap- and everyone happy.
The more of this kindu thing the better...not sure gms are buying it but the more we make it look like we're expecting Heatley to come back to play with Ottawa, the better. I think teams are approaching this like at some point before the season, we'll have no choice but to accept the best offer to a place Heatley wants to go. If Melnyk doing interviews like this can change that, great. Of course, we're all dying to get rid of him for a good return but the best is for management, the team, and the fans to play it up like we prefer him to stay.

Vandelay, could you post more please? I can never get enough Costanza in my life. Smile
Sorry man...too busy importing potato chips and exporting diapers...

48Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Acrobat

Veteran
Veteran

Vandelay wrote:
Zoolander wrote:
Vandelay wrote:
Jordo wrote:

Sorry man...too busy importing potato chips and exporting diapers...

Didn't he decide to focus on importing?
Or was it exporting?

Shrug

49Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
With Kovalev here, I don't think we appear as a motivated seller anymore, Murray can hold onto Heatley, suspend him, let him play 2nd line minutes, AK27 will play with Spezza until Heatley decides if he wants to be part of this team or until he is traded, either one.

I would still keep Heater on line one to be honest, but I agree with this 100%.

50Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:44 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Zoolander wrote:
spader wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Exactly SF71. If Heatley wants to sulk then Clouston has the ability to sharply diminish Heatley's roll on the team and shift most of those prime minutes to AK27.

I highly doubt that the Sens take the "if you don't want to play for us then we'll embarrass you on the fourth line" route. If he plays here, Melnyk will insist on getting his money's worth. If Heatley doesn't play well, then of course he'll get demoted, but they'll play him on the line that they think will get the best results. If that's the first line, then that just means that that's the role where they expect the best return. Business will be first, not revenge.

Wow, Korea? How'd you end up as a Sens fan? Or in Korea for that matter? :^^^^:

Also, your post = +1

In Korea to teach English, from Ottawa.

51Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:04 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
I highly doubt that the Sens take the "if you don't want to play for us then we'll embarrass you on the fourth line" route. If he plays here, Melnyk will insist on getting his money's worth. If Heatley doesn't play well, then of course he'll get demoted, but they'll play him on the line that they think will get the best results. If that's the first line, then that just means that that's the role where they expect the best return. Business will be first, not revenge.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Melnyk won't forget.

52Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Melnyk won't forget.

Melnyk will focus on business. Revenge will only be a concern if it doesn't impede his business success; he won't (usually) let emotion cloud his business judgement.

Murray and Clouston, on the other hand, may keep that fire burning for a little longer.

53Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:40 pm

LW: Heatley, Foligno, Shannon, Ruttu
C: Spezza, Fisher, Regin, Bass
RW: Alfie, Kovalev, Winchester, Neil

Extra Forward - Donovan

If we keep Heatley, actually even if we receive a top 6 LW for Heatley, Kelly has to go IMO. There is no room for Fisher and Kelly.

54Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:41 pm

I guess Ilya Zubov is going to have to really light it up in camp if he is ever going to get a shot here.

55Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

RobbyJ wrote:I guess Ilya Zubov is going to have to really light it up in camp if he is ever going to get a shot here.
Ya, that sucks.  I really think Regin and Bass need to be on the team this year and assuming Zubov shows well in camp, it's time he made it as well.  Problem is, all three of these guys will have a tough time assuming we deal Heatley for depth, something along the same lines as the proposed Edmonton deal.

56Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why is Petr Sykora still available? He's a very good 25+ goal man in todays NHL.

I would sign him if I needed a top 6 winger.

57Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

RobbyJ wrote:LW: Heatley, Foligno, Shannon, Ruttu

Extra Forward - Donovan

If we keep Heatley, actually even if we receive a top 6 LW for Heatley, Kelly has to go IMO. There is no room for Fisher and Kelly.

Heatley can play LW or RW, so if he's still here, there is a bit of flexibility
Foligno can play any forward position (natural centre, though).
Regin could probably also play wing.
Fisher should play wing (dammit).

Given all the above, I think there is enough flexibility to move players around - if the muscle isn't required, then keep Bass in Bingo, and put Kelly there; otherwise you can swap Kelly and Regin.

Or move Fisher to wing (not to BeatingaDeadHorse ).

Is the benefit enough to justify keeping Winchester or Rutuu over Regin and Zubov?

58Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:14 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Extra Forward - Donovan

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen Shannon play the left wing. Was I missing something?

59Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:33 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I chose Let Dany play but trade him as soon as the right deal pops up

In another thread Rooney outlined the Sens cap situation with Kovalev and Heatley and (unless we don't plan on re-signing depth players due for raises) we can't keep both beyond this season.

My question is this: If he plays here, we start winning and he really enjoys playing... he can turn down any trade request right? It's hard to imagine now but is it a real possibility?

60Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:

Extra Forward - Donovan

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen Shannon play the left wing. Was I missing something?
Switch Winchester and Shannon.
Heatley - Spezza - Alfie
Foligno - Fisher - Kovalev
Winchester - Regin - Shannon
Ruttu - Bass - Neil

61Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:00 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

I dont want this guy back. Facepalm

62Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:11 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think if the Sharks can create some cap space to acquire Heatley, that the following scenario can make this team quite competitive next season.

Once the Sharks have alleviated some of their cap concerns:

Heatley + Schubert for Marleau + Couture + McGinn + 1st

Out 8.3 - In 6.3

This would create some cap flexibility for Ottawa as well and would give the Sharks two LWs since they are extremely shallow in that position.

For the Sens, bringing in Marleau allows us to possibly move Kelly and Picard in a package to a team in need of a premier checking line center and a young, cheap puck moving defenseman.

Once that is completed, you can sign Bertuzzi to a $2-million, one-year contract.

Foligno (0.85) - Spezza (7) - Alfredsson (4.875)
Shannon (0.6) - Marleau (6.3) - Kovalev (5)
Regin (0.62) - Fisher (4.2) - Bertuzzi (2)
Ruutu (1.3) - Winchester (0.55) - Neil (2)

Extras: Donovan (0.6)
Total: 35.895

Phillips (3.5) - Kuba (3.75)
Volchenkov (2.5) - Campoli (0.633)
Lee (1.25) - Morris (2.75)

Total: 14.383

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Total: 4.6

Team total: 54.878 + Emery buyout (0.278) + Alfredsson buyout (0.7) = 55.856

Prospect pool:

Karlsson, Cowen, Weircioch, Couture, McGinn, Petersson, Silfverberg, Caporousso, Lehner, Zubov, O'Brien, Smith, Sandin

Obviously that scenario leaves a MASSIVE hole on the left side, but realistically, when you're dealing Heatley, that's a hole that's coming whether you like it or not.

Another scenario that might work out could be with Calgary.

Heatley + Picard + Schubert for Phaneuf + Chucko + 2nd + 3rd

Out 9.1 - In 6.5

Senators save 1.4 in cap space and upgrade their defense substantially while keeping Kelly around.

Bertuzzi (2) - Fisher (4.2) - Kovalev (5)
Regin (0.62) - Kelly (2.1) - Shannon (0.6)

Phaneuf (6.5) - Phillips (3.5)
Kuba (3.75) - Volchenkov (2.5)
Lee (1.25) - Campoli (0.633)

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Emery buyout (0.278)
Alfredsson buyout (0.7)

Team total: 55.466

Et voila mes amis. I have fixed all. To be honest, I think I prefer the second trade option over the first.
Why does Calgary do it? Cammalleri finally gave Calgary fans and management a glimpse of what Iginla could do with a PPG player on his line. Brining in a hometown 50-goal scorer is a no-brainer for on-ice and off-ice reasons. Picard and Schubert give Calgary good options to fill out their defense on the cheap and allows them some money to sign an additional veteran defenseman like Schneider or Morris for a season while Aulie and Brodie develop in the minors.

63Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 4 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:10 am

PKC wrote:I think if the Sharks can create some cap space to acquire Heatley, that the following scenario can make this team quite competitive next season.

Once the Sharks have alleviated some of their cap concerns:

Heatley + Schubert for Marleau + Couture + McGinn + 1st

Out 8.3 - In 6.3

This would create some cap flexibility for Ottawa as well and would give the Sharks two LWs since they are extremely shallow in that position.

For the Sens, bringing in Marleau allows us to possibly move Kelly and Picard in a package to a team in need of a premier checking line center and a young, cheap puck moving defenseman.

Once that is completed, you can sign Bertuzzi to a $2-million, one-year contract.

Shannon (0.6) - Marleau (6.3) - Kovalev (5)
Regin (0.62) - Fisher (4.2) - Bertuzzi (2)

Total: 35.895

Phillips (3.5) - Kuba (3.75)
Volchenkov (2.5) - Campoli (0.633)
Lee (1.25) - Morris (2.75)

Total: 14.383

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Total: 4.6

Team total: 54.878 + Emery buyout (0.278) + Alfredsson buyout (0.7) = 55.856

Prospect pool:

Karlsson, Cowen, Weircioch, Couture, McGinn, Petersson, Silfverberg, Caporousso, Lehner, Zubov, O'Brien, Smith, Sandin

Obviously that scenario leaves a MASSIVE hole on the left side, but realistically, when you're dealing Heatley, that's a hole that's coming whether you like it or not.

Another scenario that might work out could be with Calgary.

Heatley + Picard + Schubert for Phaneuf + Chucko + 2nd + 3rd

Out 9.1 - In 6.5

Senators save 1.4 in cap space and upgrade their defense substantially while keeping Kelly around.

Bertuzzi (2) - Fisher (4.2) - Kovalev (5)
Regin (0.62) - Kelly (2.1) - Shannon (0.6)

Phaneuf (6.5) - Phillips (3.5)
Kuba (3.75) - Volchenkov (2.5)
Lee (1.25) - Campoli (0.633)

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Emery buyout (0.278)
Alfredsson buyout (0.7)

Team total: 55.466

Et voila mes amis. I have fixed all. To be honest, I think I prefer the second trade option over the first.
Why does Calgary do it? Cammalleri finally gave Calgary fans and management a glimpse of what Iginla could do with a PPG player on his line. Brining in a hometown 50-goal scorer is a no-brainer for on-ice and off-ice reasons. Picard and Schubert give Calgary good options to fill out their defense on the cheap and allows them some money to sign an additional veteran defenseman like Schneider or Morris for a season while Aulie and Brodie develop in the minors.

A couple of snags in these scenarios in my opinion:

1) We haven't been able to give Schubert away it seems, so in that sense he's basically a throwin. That SJ package seems like alot to ask from SJ. I'd certainly do it though.

2) Calgary's cap situation currently won't allow that scenario to happen. They'd be over just on that deal alone, and they still have to sign a talented young Dustin Boyd. Boyd or Nystrom would be the player I would be targetting instead of Chucko, who isn't signed and isn't that great of a prospect anyway. Besides, having to give up the best player in the deal, as well as two other players for a mid-level prospect and a couple of picks doesn't sound like the best return out there.

Now, I'm not looking to rain on your parade PKC, but I think a variation of these deals are definitely something I personally would look at. I just believe the first option is too much for SJ to give up and option two is too much for the Sens.

Just my two cents....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum