GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk

+20
The Silfer Server
TeamRenzo
Tuk Tuk
beerandsens
Acrobat
Vandelay
Hoags
wprager
SensGirl11
PTFlea
TheAvatar
Jordo
spader
dennycrane
PKC
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
jamvan
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Should Melnyk bring Dany back to the Sens?

Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_lcap220%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 8 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_lcap210%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 10% [ 4 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_lcap25%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 2 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_lcap223%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 9 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_lcap23%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_lcap20%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_lcap233%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 13 ]
Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_lcap28%Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 40

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

61Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:00 am

Tuk Tuk

Veteran
Veteran

I dont want this guy back. Facepalm

62Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:11 am

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

I think if the Sharks can create some cap space to acquire Heatley, that the following scenario can make this team quite competitive next season.

Once the Sharks have alleviated some of their cap concerns:

Heatley + Schubert for Marleau + Couture + McGinn + 1st

Out 8.3 - In 6.3

This would create some cap flexibility for Ottawa as well and would give the Sharks two LWs since they are extremely shallow in that position.

For the Sens, bringing in Marleau allows us to possibly move Kelly and Picard in a package to a team in need of a premier checking line center and a young, cheap puck moving defenseman.

Once that is completed, you can sign Bertuzzi to a $2-million, one-year contract.

Foligno (0.85) - Spezza (7) - Alfredsson (4.875)
Shannon (0.6) - Marleau (6.3) - Kovalev (5)
Regin (0.62) - Fisher (4.2) - Bertuzzi (2)
Ruutu (1.3) - Winchester (0.55) - Neil (2)

Extras: Donovan (0.6)
Total: 35.895

Phillips (3.5) - Kuba (3.75)
Volchenkov (2.5) - Campoli (0.633)
Lee (1.25) - Morris (2.75)

Total: 14.383

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Total: 4.6

Team total: 54.878 + Emery buyout (0.278) + Alfredsson buyout (0.7) = 55.856

Prospect pool:

Karlsson, Cowen, Weircioch, Couture, McGinn, Petersson, Silfverberg, Caporousso, Lehner, Zubov, O'Brien, Smith, Sandin

Obviously that scenario leaves a MASSIVE hole on the left side, but realistically, when you're dealing Heatley, that's a hole that's coming whether you like it or not.

Another scenario that might work out could be with Calgary.

Heatley + Picard + Schubert for Phaneuf + Chucko + 2nd + 3rd

Out 9.1 - In 6.5

Senators save 1.4 in cap space and upgrade their defense substantially while keeping Kelly around.

Bertuzzi (2) - Fisher (4.2) - Kovalev (5)
Regin (0.62) - Kelly (2.1) - Shannon (0.6)

Phaneuf (6.5) - Phillips (3.5)
Kuba (3.75) - Volchenkov (2.5)
Lee (1.25) - Campoli (0.633)

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Emery buyout (0.278)
Alfredsson buyout (0.7)

Team total: 55.466

Et voila mes amis. I have fixed all. To be honest, I think I prefer the second trade option over the first.
Why does Calgary do it? Cammalleri finally gave Calgary fans and management a glimpse of what Iginla could do with a PPG player on his line. Brining in a hometown 50-goal scorer is a no-brainer for on-ice and off-ice reasons. Picard and Schubert give Calgary good options to fill out their defense on the cheap and allows them some money to sign an additional veteran defenseman like Schneider or Morris for a season while Aulie and Brodie develop in the minors.

63Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:10 am

PKC wrote:I think if the Sharks can create some cap space to acquire Heatley, that the following scenario can make this team quite competitive next season.

Out 8.3 - In 6.3

This would create some cap flexibility for Ottawa as well and would give the Sharks two LWs since they are extremely shallow in that position.

For the Sens, bringing in Marleau allows us to possibly move Kelly and Picard in a package to a team in need of a premier checking line center and a young, cheap puck moving defenseman.

Once that is completed, you can sign Bertuzzi to a $2-million, one-year contract.

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Prospect pool:

Karlsson, Cowen, Weircioch, Couture, McGinn, Petersson, Silfverberg, Caporousso, Lehner, Zubov, O'Brien, Smith, Sandin

Obviously that scenario leaves a MASSIVE hole on the left side, but realistically, when you're dealing Heatley, that's a hole that's coming whether you like it or not.

Out 9.1 - In 6.5

Senators save 1.4 in cap space and upgrade their defense substantially while keeping Kelly around.

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Emery buyout (0.278)
Alfredsson buyout (0.7)

Et voila mes amis. I have fixed all. To be honest, I think I prefer the second trade option over the first.
Why does Calgary do it? Cammalleri finally gave Calgary fans and management a glimpse of what Iginla could do with a PPG player on his line. Brining in a hometown 50-goal scorer is a no-brainer for on-ice and off-ice reasons. Picard and Schubert give Calgary good options to fill out their defense on the cheap and allows them some money to sign an additional veteran defenseman like Schneider or Morris for a season while Aulie and Brodie develop in the minors.

A couple of snags in these scenarios in my opinion:

1) We haven't been able to give Schubert away it seems, so in that sense he's basically a throwin. That SJ package seems like alot to ask from SJ. I'd certainly do it though.

2) Calgary's cap situation currently won't allow that scenario to happen. They'd be over just on that deal alone, and they still have to sign a talented young Dustin Boyd. Boyd or Nystrom would be the player I would be targetting instead of Chucko, who isn't signed and isn't that great of a prospect anyway. Besides, having to give up the best player in the deal, as well as two other players for a mid-level prospect and a couple of picks doesn't sound like the best return out there.

Now, I'm not looking to rain on your parade PKC, but I think a variation of these deals are definitely something I personally would look at. I just believe the first option is too much for SJ to give up and option two is too much for the Sens.

Just my two cents....

64Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:12 am

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:I think if the Sharks can create some cap space to acquire Heatley, that the following scenario can make this team quite competitive next season.

Out 8.3 - In 6.3

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Prospect pool:

Out 9.1 - In 6.5

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (0.8)

Emery buyout (0.278)
Alfredsson buyout (0.7)

I really don't want Marleau, we already have too many centers and we are thin on the left side.

Would Calgary part with Phaneuf? I would prefer that deal to be honest.

65Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:57 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I can't see the Sharks taking on 2 million in salary and trading away McGinn, Couture and a 1st. I think we'd be lucky to get Couture and a 1st out of them. McGinn and the first along with Marleau is the most realistic I believe. And Schubert wouldn't be part of the deal, they already have 7 dmen on 1 way contracts. The way I see it is we'd probably have to take on Lukowich or Huskins if we also expect to get Couture and their first. We could always bury Lukowich in the minors though.

66Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:22 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

TeamRenzo wrote:

I really don't want Marleau, we already have too many centers and we are thin on the left side.

Would Calgary part with Phaneuf? I would prefer that deal to be honest.

I don't see why they wouldn't too be honest. It's very evident that Iginla performed above average with another star talent on the left side of his line.

Not to mention getting Heatley the hometown guy in that jersey would put promotions and marketing into overdrive without even considering the fact that they could potentially have two 50 goal scorers on the roster.

Plus with Bouwmeester in the fold, losing Phaneuf would be much more palatable. Especially considering that they'd be able to hold on to Regehr.

Might not be as far fetched as we might think.

I could definitely see a Heatley + Picard for Phaneuf + Glencross/Bourque/Moss OR 2nd + 3rd OR 1st

67Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:24 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:I can't see the Sharks taking on 2 million in salary and trading away McGinn, Couture and a 1st. I think we'd be lucky to get Couture and a 1st out of them. McGinn and the first along with Marleau is the most realistic I believe. And Schubert wouldn't be part of the deal, they already have 7 dmen on 1 way contracts. The way I see it is we'd probably have to take on Lukowich or Huskins if we also expect to get Couture and their first. We could always bury Lukowich in the minors though.

Well they get rid of an albatross contract and get themselves a bonafide 50 goal scorer. Put that guy on the left side of Thornton, who turned Cheechoo into a 56 goal scorer, and the outcome could be ridiculous to say the least.

You might be right though. McGinn, Couture and a first might be a lot, but I could definitely see two out of the three coming back with Marleau who Murray has been hot after for a while now.

68Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:58 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:I can't see the Sharks taking on 2 million in salary and trading away McGinn, Couture and a 1st. I think we'd be lucky to get Couture and a 1st out of them. McGinn and the first along with Marleau is the most realistic I believe. And Schubert wouldn't be part of the deal, they already have 7 dmen on 1 way contracts. The way I see it is we'd probably have to take on Lukowich or Huskins if we also expect to get Couture and their first. We could always bury Lukowich in the minors though.

Well they get rid of an albatross contract and get themselves a bonafide 50 goal scorer. Put that guy on the left side of Thornton, who turned Cheechoo into a 56 goal scorer, and the outcome could be ridiculous to say the least.

You might be right though. McGinn, Couture and a first might be a lot, but I could definitely see two out of the three coming back with Marleau who Murray has been hot after for a while now.

I have always liked Marleau, and I truly believe a lot of people who say they would hate to have him here would change their tune pretty quickly as soon as he dons the red. He's a jack of all trades player, that does everything right. You look at his highlights on youtube, and all his goals are just shots, or being in the right place at the right time. He seems to be always undetected. And that's why I would put him with Spezza. That would open up a spot to put Alfie with Kovalev. Alfie on his off wing, and Kovalev the same. You could even plug someone like Regin as their centre and he would tear it up, and learn loads. I'd love to have Fisher on wing on the top line, but Foligno would fit beautifully there too.

In conclusion, I can't wait till we unload Heatley, and I can't wait for hockey to start.

69Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Can Marleau or Spezz play wing?

70Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:33 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Tuk Tuk Goose wrote:Can Marleau or Spezz play wing?

According to TSN.ca Marleau can also play LW... I think they put him there on the PP. But on the Sens I'd love for him to be paired with Spezz, as Marleau has a beautiful shot, both accurate and powerful, and at the same time, is deft at passing. And this would open up Kovy and Alfie to play together.

71Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Arent Kovy and Alfie both RWs though?

72Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:56 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Tuk Tuk Goose wrote:Arent Kovy and Alfie both RWs though?

Yeah they are... But I'd love Alfie to play his off wing.

73Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

and who would center Alfie and Kovalev then?

Fisher? Puking2

74Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:24 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Or Regin... Kid has speed and hands, and some finish. Two way responsible too. And is there a better mentor for him than Alfie?

75Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Bass Destruction wrote:Or Regin... Kid has speed and hands, and some finish. Two way responsible too. And is there a better mentor for him than Alfie?

Damn, I like the sound of that Smile

Foligno-Spezza-Marleau
Alfredsson-Regin-Kovalev

76Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

speklund is saying there is a deal on that would send cheechoo to the islanders adn he believes it could be done soon (within 24 hours) maybe clearing space to go after healtey???

77Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:53 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:speklund is saying there is a deal on that would send cheechoo to the islanders adn he believes it could be done soon (within 24 hours) maybe clearing space to go after healtey???

SJ has to clear cap space no matter what. They are just $1.3 mil under the cap now, and still have 5 roster positions to fill (4 forwards, 1 backup goalie).

That, combined with the fact that Ron Wilson has promised a major roster shake up, suggests to me that we must expect major movement in SJ.

Whether or not any of that has anything to do with, or might lead to, a deal for Heatley, however, is I think too soon to tell.

78Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk - Page 5 Empty Re: Heatley's Return 'Doable', says Melnyk Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:10 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:speklund is saying there is a deal on that would send cheechoo to the islanders adn he believes it could be done soon (within 24 hours) maybe clearing space to go after healtey???

SJ has to clear cap space no matter what. They are just $1.3 mil under the cap now, and still have 5 roster positions to fill (4 forwards, 1 backup goalie).

That, combined with the fact that Ron Wilson has promised a major roster shake up, suggests to me that we must expect major movement in SJ.

Whether or not any of that has anything to do with, or might lead to, a deal for Heatley, however, is I think too soon to tell.

What would the Leafs coach care what San Jose does Sarcasm

Doug Wilson might care though Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum