GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senators trying to trade Jason Smith?

+9
wprager
Hayden
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
mattshock
shabbs
asq2
davetherave
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Want should/can the Sens do with Jason Smith?

Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_lcap238%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 6 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_lcap219%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 19% [ 3 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_lcap20%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_lcap20%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_lcap231%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 31% [ 5 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_lcap26%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_lcap26%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 11]

151Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:21 pm

504Heater wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
They only produce at a clip that is worth thier money when Alfi is there, thats it. You dont need 3 all stars on a line for it to be effective, or even an elite line.

Here, this might be a better way of looking at it:

Mike Fisher had 32 points last year. Foligno and Shannon both started to produce when Clouston came in. Within that time frame we were 19-10-3 or whatever it was. Why? Because behind Jason Spezza was someone who could put the puck in when it mattered. The FFS line was supporting the CASH line and vice-versa. Money or no money, the top line will be shut down and made to look foolish if that's the defence's key every night. When they're made to play against 2 legitimate lines, good things start to happen, the ice opens up - and the team is successful.

I'm not going to stand here and say that Spezza and Heatley had good years - they were both terrible. But they had zero support behind them. If there's a one line team in the NHL that is successful, I'd love to know who and how. Unless you've got an all-world goaltender and D, you're dead in the water.

If they dont score, they are a liability, thats the problem.

152Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:22 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:All you need to look at are guys like Cheechoo, Penner, Todd White (tell me he is a top 6 guy), Sedagutchi (sp?) so many wingers that are not of the elite, all-star or even top 6 guys who have all been made better by the players they play with.

People would have been all over Penner 3 years ago, now they wouldnt come within a mile of him. Why, because he was made better then he was. You dont need Alfi beside 14.5 million dollars of tallent.

Fine, so you can finally fill out the top 6 by putting Alfie with Fisher. Who moves up? Shannon or Foligno? I'm good either way. Foligno and Spezza are dynamite on the PP together, let's give them a shot. Shannon, Spezza and Heatley would be awesome.

We can kill 2 birds with one stone here.

153Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Neely4Life wrote:All you need to look at are guys like Cheechoo, Penner, Todd White (tell me he is a top 6 guy), Sedagutchi (sp?) so many wingers that are not of the elite, all-star or even top 6 guys who have all been made better by the players they play with.

People would have been all over Penner 3 years ago, now they wouldnt come within a mile of him. Why, because he was made better then he was. You dont need Alfi beside 14.5 million dollars of tallent.
Funny story about Todd White: I came across a trade suggestion today that had us trading Spezza, Zubov, and a 2nd round pick to the Thrashers for White and their 1st Facepalm
Their reasoning? Spezza had 73 points this year and so did White.
:^^^^:

154Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Neely4Life wrote:
That pretty much sums it up.

155Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:Funny story about Todd White: I came across a trade suggestion today that had us trading Spezza, Zubov, and a 2nd round pick to the Thrashers for White and their 1st Facepalm

I'd do it if it was the 3rd pick overall or higher this year. Duchene would be awesome.

156Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:31 pm

504Heater wrote:

Fine, so you can finally fill out the top 6 by putting Alfie with Fisher. Who moves up? Shannon or Foligno? I'm good either way. Foligno and Spezza are dynamite on the PP together, let's give them a shot. Shannon, Spezza and Heatley would be awesome.

We can kill 2 birds with one stone here.

5 on 5 Foligno was an absolute bust with Spezza. A perfect example.

157Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:32 pm

cash wrote:

Funny story about Todd White: I came across a trade suggestion today that had us trading Spezza, Zubov, and a 2nd round pick to the Thrashers for White and their 1st Facepalm

Haha ya, not so much eh...

158Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

That's fair. No one's gonna argue with that, but instead of lamenting it, shouldn't Murray go to lengths to fix it? I certainly would. I wouldn't be crazy about trading Spezza or Heatley with the prime of their careers to come. I would put two wingers with Spezza who can take on the defensive responsibilities and score as well. Easier said than done I realize, but Mike Fisher on RW is a start. Move Heatley and Alfredsson down with Regin, find Spezza a winger who can play both sides of the puck - and put pressure on him to do the same.

I hate to bring this name up, but someone like Gary Roberts. A guy that plays a mean wing.

159Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:34 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:
5 on 5 Foligno was an absolute bust with Spezza. A perfect example.

Before or after Hartsburg? There was a tremendous difference in playing style with Foligno under the different coaches.

160Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:34 pm

cash wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
\

Well it's the truth, right? If a top line doesnt produce, it can't be on for 2 or 3 goals against. That's the problem with that line and why people fail on it. The player going up is expected to play Alfi's role and lets face it, there are 3 or 4 guys in the league who would, let alone on the Sens.

Alfi comes off that line and they are beyond a defensive liability.

161Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:35 pm

504Heater wrote:
cash wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

That's fair. No one's gonna argue with that, but instead of lamenting it, shouldn't Murray go to lengths to fix it? I certainly would. I wouldn't be crazy about trading Spezza or Heatley with the prime of their careers to come. I would put two wingers with Spezza who can take on the defensive responsibilities and score as well. Easier said than done I realize, but Mike Fisher on RW is a start. Move Heatley and Alfredsson down with Regin, find Spezza a winger who can play both sides of the puck - and put pressure on him to do the same.

I hate to bring this name up, but someone like Gary Roberts. A guy that plays a mean wing.

It has to do with their defensive game and the responsibility hey take on the ice. Alfi is good enough to make up for it at both ends of the ice... no one else on the Sens has that ability. I said it in another post.

162Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:40 pm

504Heater wrote:
cash wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

The difference between Gary Roberts at 43 and Donovan is what exactly?
It's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't expect us to start the season with Regin in between Heatley and Alfredsson. Maybe we could give Zubov a shot on the right side with Heatley and Spezza? Then we could have the FFS line stay together but move down the depth chart to 3rd and have a second line of Winchester-Regin-Alfredsson. Then we have a 4th line of Ruutu-Kelly-Bass/Donovan Cheering

It kind of makes the 1st line the biggest liability in the entire NHL, but at least they might score some goals....

163Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:41 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
dennycrane wrote:Florida is a likely destination, IMO.

For whom or what?

Mid-low draft pick or a mid-level prospect. It's a salary dump, so don't expect much. If the cap dollar weren't a factor, I'd keep him.

I think Murray has four or five scenarios on what he will do with the D, and I think moving Smith out is only one of those scenarios. Smith would still be good in the playoffs.

164Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Personally, I really want to see what Smith can do under Clouston.

165Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

this is going to be a very loooooong summer for bryan murray

166Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
The difference between Gary Roberts at 43 and Donovan is what exactly?
It's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't expect us to start the season with Regin in between Heatley and Alfredsson. Maybe we could give Zubov a shot on the right side with Heatley and Spezza? Then we could have the FFS line stay together but move down the depth chart to 3rd and have a second line of Winchester-Regin-Alfredsson. Then we have a 4th line of Ruutu-Kelly-Bass/Donovan Cheering

It kind of makes the 1st line the biggest liability in the entire NHL, but at least they might score some goals....

Difference between them now is nothing really, but I would want a younger version of Roberts - I was just using him as a name comparison.

Zubov with the big 2 up on line one makes me nervous. Perhaps one of the players you suggested earlier - Jesse Winchester - could go up there and start to add a more physical dimension to the line. Then you have the option of putting Regin and Zubov together will Alfredsson.

The main question is going to be: can we win with Spezza and Heatley - or is there a complete housecleaning to be done?

167Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 8:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:Personally, I really want to see what Smith can do under Clouston.

I've said that specific line so many times, it might as well become my signature here.

For the record, I think Winchester is going to be a very special player under Cory Clouston.

168Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? - Page 11 Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Mon May 11, 2009 9:07 pm

cash wrote:Personally, I really want to see what Smith can do under Clouston.

You and me both...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum