GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senators trying to trade Jason Smith?

+9
wprager
Hayden
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
mattshock
shabbs
asq2
davetherave
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Want should/can the Sens do with Jason Smith?

Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_lcap238%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_rcap2 38% [ 6 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_lcap219%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_rcap2 19% [ 3 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_lcap20%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_lcap20%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_lcap231%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_rcap2 31% [ 5 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_lcap26%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_lcap26%Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

1Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 11:23 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Senators trying to trade Smith?

from TheFourthPeriod.com/David Pagnotta, May 10, 2005

The Ottawa Sun is reporting that the Senators are looking to trade away veteran defenseman Jason Smith in order to free up some salary cap space.

Smith, 35, has one-year remaining on his contract. He's due to make $2.6 million next season.

The Senators have been trying to re-sign the likes of forwards Mike Comrie and Chris Neil, and are preparing to go after a number of
unrestricted free agents once July 1 rolls around.

Senators GM Bryan Murray is hoping to clear some salary in an attempt to bolster his roster.

Lyle (SpectorsHockey.net) Richardson's take:

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Smith actually has $2.6 million remaining on his contract. He might be tough to move but teams seeking affordable veteran depth for their defense corps might have interest.

2Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 11:41 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Who could use him/take him? Hypothetically, Phoenix could use some help on D, but they're not really in a position to take on salary.

Shrug

3Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 11:42 am

Anyone have an idea of whom may be interested to take him on? I feel bad about sending him to a crappy team.

4Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 11:58 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Philly?

5Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 12:12 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Philly?

A possibility. Edmonton needs a defensive defenceman too, but I don't know if they want any more money spent on their D.

6Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 12:12 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Also, does this say anything about the direction of our blue-line for next season?

7Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:Also, does this say anything about the direction of our blue-line for next season?
Out with the old, in with the new?

8Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 12:30 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I think he's a team player. He'd love to play, but he has to know that after last season his style of play is catching up with him.

He might be traded, but I'd prefer to see him stay in the organization. With our wealth of young up and coming D-men, having a winner and team player like Jason Smith around can't hurt.

His salary can, however. At $2.6M, it could be an issue. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

9Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 12:32 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Perhaps he wasn't the locker-room leader he was expected to be, or that Murray hoped he'd be.

10Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 12:36 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Perhaps he wasn't the locker-room leader he was expected to be, or that Murray hoped he'd be.

Better than Corvo I'd wager. Room-wise at least.

11Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Might have to bite the bullet on this and send a prospect or pick along with him to make the deal worthwhile to teams... or at least take a similar problem from them.

All along I knew this was not going to be a good deal for Ottawa. Too old, too slow, too expensive.

Also, Ottawa's going to try and re-sign Comrie and Neil? So much for "bringing in the new". I mean, Comrie would take a spot away from Regin, Smith or whomever else. And Neil the same.

If you want to save money, look at utilizing young, inexpensive players and moving J. Smith, Kuba, Auld and Kelly. We have players that can fill those holes.

12Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 1:04 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:Might have to bite the bullet on this and send a prospect or pick along with him to make the deal worthwhile to teams... or at least take a similar problem from them.

All along I knew this was not going to be a good deal for Ottawa. Too old, too slow, too expensive.

Also, Ottawa's going to try and re-sign Comrie and Neil? So much for "bringing in the new". I mean, Comrie would take a spot away from Regin, Smith or whomever else. And Neil the same.

If you want to save money, look at utilizing young, inexpensive players and moving J. Smith, Kuba, Auld and Kelly. We have players that can fill those holes.

With the emergence of Bass I think Neil is quite expendable at this point. If the rumours of him asking for $2M+ have anything to them, he's not helping his cause of staying in Ottawa.

As for Comrie, a 29 year old top-six for $2M wouldn't bother me one bit. There will always be injuries and opportunities for the young guys to come up and play.

I'm hopping over to NHL numbers to see how many top-six guys we already have, and see how much of a spot Comrie might be taking away, if there's already a near log-jam.

13Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 1:08 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Ok, I just took a peek, and there seems to be lots of room for Comrie.

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
Foligno - Comrie - Shannan
Ruutu - Fisher - Winchester
Donovan - Kelly - Bass

I don't think Regin is ready to step into a top-six spot right away, and if he comes in later, Donovan is probably the guy getting the bump.

Looking at the names there, I really don't think there's a spot for Neil.

14Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 1:10 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Nice little log jams happening in goal with Auld/Elliott, and then on D with Smith, Lee, and Picard, and only 2 D- men spots available.

Even without trades or UFA signings it's going to be an interesting training camp.

15Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Empty Re: Senators trying to trade Jason Smith? Sun May 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

mattshock wrote:Ok, I just took a peek, and there seems to be lots of room for Comrie.

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
Foligno - Comrie - Shannan
Ruutu - Fisher - Winchester
Donovan - Kelly - Bass

I don't think Regin is ready to step into a top-six spot right away, and if he comes in later, Donovan is probably the guy getting the bump.

Looking at the names there, I really don't think there's a spot for Neil.

I think Regin is ready to step up to NHL fulltime even if we sign comrie, who has been reportedly asked his agent to submit a 2 year 2-2.5 mill a year contract,

Donovan has had problems getting back into the lineup at the end of the year and i can see him sitting in the press box or maybe kelly gets moved

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum