GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Jason Smith retires; door open for Erik Karlsson?

+21
spader
PKC
Riprock
asq2
Snuh
Sens19
TheAvatar
beedub
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
jamvan
Vandelay
davetherave
SensFan71
SensGirl11
strachattack
shabbs
BigRig
SeawaySensFan
25 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 19]

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

As heard on the Team 1200. That's all I got for now.

Ya, I heard that, sounds like Smith might be retiring... sh itty way to go out for sure. There is a guy that you would think should have won a cup or two in his time.

Great career, maybe the toughest player in the league the last 10 years.

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

SeawaySensFan wrote:As heard on the Team 1200. That's all I got for now.

wonder what it's about!

from the recent accounts we've heard he's healthy....hmmmm....maybe he's retiring? or donating his courage and brain to Dany?

Ya, I dont see how it's anything else except to retire and perhaps take a front office job kinda thing. Smith is done if I had to guess, really no other reason to have a presser.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Will it be aired on Team 1200?

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

According to Boo Boo Smith is indeed retiring.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/09/02/10716121.html

Well, that solves the 2.6 mil cap hit. Great career, hopefully his head is going to be held high.

This does give us something to talk about other than the docuhe bag though. Cap problems seem to be very minimal now as well as the blueline picture being a little more clear.

Karlsson is on the team unless he some how actually finds a black lab and bangs the pooch on the ice...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

strachattack wrote:According to Boo Boo Smith is indeed retiring.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/09/02/10716121.html

Jason Smith is calling it a career.

The 35-year-old defenceman has called a news conference for 10 a.m. with team general manager Bryan Murray this morning at Scotiabank Place where he’s expected to announce his retirement after an NHL career that has spanned 17 years.

Smith was signed as an unrestricted free agent to a two-year contract last summer. The decision by Smith will allow Murray and the Senators to wipe his $2.6 million salary off their cap this year, which will give the club some flexibility because they were approximately $1.3 million over the NHL salary cap.

The decision by Smith doesn’t come as a major surprise. He had only a limited role last season and didn’t finish the year because of an injury. It also gives Murray room to play if the club is able to find a deal for winger Dany Heatley.

When I last checked capgeek the Ottawa Senators were about 300k under the cap, assuming Peter Regin was in the lineup.

This may give room for Murray to make a deal, certainly, but it also signal to Heatley and Co. that he has plenty of room to accommodate his salary ALL YEAR!!!! 🇬🇬 Laughing3 Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So... cap issue solved?

Pretty much, now for all those who love putting their lineup up for all to read, go right ahead. Just make sure you throw Karlsson in there.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:Pretty much, now for all those who love putting their lineup up for all to read, go right ahead. Just make sure you throw Karlsson in there.

:___: Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

Hopefully Shubert gets deal so he can get his number, haha.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

That's really sad, I'm sorry to see him go like this. Sad He was one of my favorite players and has a heart of gold. I wish him all the best in the future.

He's taylor made to be a coach at some point. He'll land on his fee for sure, people with that work ethic and character always do.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 19]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum