GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Jason Smith retires; door open for Erik Karlsson?

+21
spader
PKC
Riprock
asq2
Snuh
Sens19
TheAvatar
beedub
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
jamvan
Vandelay
davetherave
SensFan71
SensGirl11
strachattack
shabbs
BigRig
SeawaySensFan
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 19]

Sens19

Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
Sens19 wrote:I have a question: Why are we buying out Daniel Alfredsson? Sarcasm

that was a buyout of his earlier contract, since they renegotiated another extension, his previous contract had to be bought out.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up Smile

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Sens19 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Sens19 wrote:I have a question: Why are we buying out Daniel Alfredsson? Sarcasm

that was a buyout of his earlier contract, since they renegotiated another extension, his previous contract had to be bought out.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up Smile

no problem at all. Smile

Snuh

Rookie
Rookie

Philips
Volchenkov

Campoli
Kuba
Picard
Schubert
Karlsson

With the retirement of Smith the Sens blueline looks a little soft to me. Philips, Volchenkov and Schubert are the only physical and punishing defencemen on the team. And with Schubert not even guaranteed a spot on the team - either as a forward or a defenceman - Is Murray now in the market for a big physical type defenceman? I can't think of anyone from Bingo who fits the bill.

Snuh wrote:Philips
Volchenkov

Campoli
Kuba
Picard
Schubert
Karlsson

With the retirement of Smith the Sens blueline looks a little soft to me. Philips, Volchenkov and Schubert are the only physical and punishing defencemen on the team. And with Schubert not even guaranteed a spot on the team - either as a forward or a defenceman - Is Murray now in the market for a big physical type defenceman? I can't think of anyone from Bingo who fits the bill.

Wait until you see Karlsson step up, he might be small but he is anything but soft. You dont need a whole bunch of bangers out there. Picard will eventually pick up the phyiscal play as well IMO. Also, I think you might see a much more agressive and physical Brian Lee if he somehow cracks the lineup.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

our favourite Sens Blogger over at HB has the link up for the presser announcing Smith's retirement, love the little flash of Alfie going through the screen with a grin on his face. Facepalm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:Wait until you see Karlsson step up, he might be small but he is anything but soft. You dont need a whole bunch of bangers out there. Picard will eventually pick up the phyiscal play as well IMO. Also, I think you might see a much more agressive and physical Brian Lee if he somehow cracks the lineup.

Agreed. You need a good mix on D, as you do with a whole team. As an aside, Lee has a baby face but a pretty big body.

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

N4L wrote:
Volchenkov

Campoli
Kuba
Picard
Schubert
Karlsson

Wait until you see Karlsson step up, he might be small but he is anything but soft. You dont need a whole bunch of bangers out there. Picard will eventually pick up the phyiscal play as well IMO. Also, I think you might see a much more agressive and physical Brian Lee if he somehow cracks the lineup.

It would be nice to see those players step up into a more physical role, but you can't really replace the type of player that Smith once was. I can't see Karlsson or Picard putting the fear into opposing forwards when they go into the corners. If the D stays the way it is I think you would see the end of the Philips/Volchenkov combo. Have to spread out the big hitteres/shot blockers.

Last edited by Snuh on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If Regin, Karlsson and Lee make the line-up... and we move Schubie for a pick or prospect... our 22-man roster has $1.19M in cap space. Not much of a difference.

Snuh wrote:
N4L wrote:
Volchenkov

Campoli
Kuba
Picard
Schubert
Karlsson

It would be nice to see those players step up into a more physical role, but you can't really replace the type of player that Smith once was. I can't see Karlsson or Picard putting the fear into opposing forwards when they go into the corners. If the D stays the way it is I think you would see the end of the Philips/Volchenkov combo. Have to spread out the big hitteres/shot blockers.

Why would you see the end of that combo? Kuba is about as solid a D man as you can find. He isnt phyiscal but he is great defensivly, moves the puck well, and is our best D man right now. A Train and Phillips are fine as a duo. Campoli and Kuba will be fine together as well, Karlsson and who ever else on the 6th pair to start the year. Everything is ok on the back end in Ottawa and in goal.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:If Regin, Karlsson and Lee make the line-up... and we move Schubie for a pick or prospect... our 22-man roster has $1.19M in cap space. Not much of a difference.

well then my plan wasn't thought through very well, that means we might have to look at moving a guy like Kelly (gasp) to get more cap space and move a guy like Smith in his spot. Bass can go back to bingo as someone corrected me and told me he is on a 2 way.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, Bass and Z. Smith are both on 2-ways.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Again, it's time that things should be earned in Ottawa, not given to them like Spezza and Meszaros were. There is absolutly nothing wrong with a guy like Regin working his way up the ladder.

Meszaros definitely earned his spot on the roster that first season. Don't forget, he ended up part of an all-rookie team featuring Ovechkin, Crosby, Lundqvist and Phaneuf.

I'd say he earned it more than Karlsson appears to be.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:
N4L wrote:Again, it's time that things should be earned in Ottawa, not given to them like Spezza and Meszaros were. There is absolutly nothing wrong with a guy like Regin working his way up the ladder.

Meszaros definitely earned his spot on the roster that first season. Don't forget, he ended up part of an all-rookie team featuring Ovechkin, Crosby, Lundqvist and Phaneuf.

There's been an increase in blaspheming here lately.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Right on...Duncan Keith, for example, isn't exactly The Incredible Hulk...Karlsson's a VERY smart and smooth d-man.

Right now, though, Keith is several levels above Karlsson defensively.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
asq2 wrote:

bee started it, I say we blame him Laughing3 Ahhhhh!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:If Regin, Karlsson and Lee make the line-up... and we move Schubie for a pick or prospect... our 22-man roster has $1.19M in cap space. Not much of a difference.

well then my plan wasn't thought through very well, that means we might have to look at moving a guy like Kelly (gasp) to get more cap space and move a guy like Smith in his spot. Bass can go back to bingo as someone corrected me and told me he is on a 2 way.
Not sure what Murray's gonna do... if we move Kelly and Schubert for picks/prospects and assume Regin, Z. Smith, Lee and Karlsson all make the line-up, a 22-man roster ends up with $2.761M in cap space and looks like this. But what are the chances of all that happening...?

UPDATE: Jason Smith retires; door open for Erik Karlsson? - Page 10 Hadmeaack

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
asq2 wrote:

All I'll say is that I've watched Karlsson pretty extensively in the WJC and in the SEL, and while there are aspects of his game that are pretty damn impressive, I don't anticipate he'll be as good as Meszaros was in his rookie season.

Now, granted, he may have taken many steps forward this off-season (which is hard to tell until he starts playing again) but I'd be lying if I said that when I last saw him (SEL playoffs) he didn't have a lot of work to do defensively.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

On another note, is anyone concerned that we just lost quite a bit of leadership in the locker-room?

Especially with Heatley potentially returning, is this going to be a good environment for youngsters like Karlsson?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum