GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Jason Smith retires; door open for Erik Karlsson?

+21
spader
PKC
Riprock
asq2
Snuh
Sens19
TheAvatar
beedub
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
jamvan
Vandelay
davetherave
SensFan71
SensGirl11
strachattack
shabbs
BigRig
SeawaySensFan
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 19]

wprager wrote:It's an interesting situation. I agree that Kuba would be a good parner -- nice and big with a long reach, doesn't panic, very steady and a good passer. On the other hand, didn't Kuba lead our D in ice time last year? Can Karlsson really play that much? Of course if he doesn't play on the PK, that will shave about 3-4 minutes.

What about putting him with Lee or Picard? Both are pretty big, mobile. The only problem is having a pairing with so little experience, but if they match lines and put them out against the 3rd line they'd do fine.

I said this earlier in the thread, I think he will be paired wiht Picard to start the year, at least 5 on 5, and by years end I would be willing to bet he is pair with Kuba logging more ice then most people thought he would see this year.

Also, if Lee does make this team, I wouldnt have the only 2 right handed shots playing with each other, way more likely to see him paired with Kuba. He was last year for the last bit of the season.

Last edited by N4L on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:I think you are more likely to see Karlsson paired with Kuba eventually. Two guys who can move the puck, read the play well, great instincts, LH/RH shot, and Kuba is just as good if not a better D man then Phillips. That's who I think his partner will/should be.

Yeah, N4L, I see your logic, but don't you think it's better to pair one d-man who is the slick playmaker with the other who beats the crap out of the opposition?
:n:

davetherave wrote:
N4L wrote:I think you are more likely to see Karlsson paired with Kuba eventually. Two guys who can move the puck, read the play well, great instincts, LH/RH shot, and Kuba is just as good if not a better D man then Phillips. That's who I think his partner will/should be.

Yeah, N4L, I see your logic, but don't you think it's better to pair one d-man who is the slick playmaker with the other who beats the crap out of the opposition?

I think Kuba is about as well rounded a D man as you will find. A little soft but he makes up for that. I think he would be a great partner for Karlsson. Plus, Karlsson has a cannon of a shot, as does Kuba. Both can pass the puck, opposite shots... works for me, on every level.

It would be funny to see little Karlsson crunching people while big Kuba plays the puck :^^^^:

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:

Ideally, perhaps. But we are a couple of years away from an ideal situation. Right now Karlsson has to come in and learn.

wprager wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Ideally, perhaps. But we are a couple of years away from an ideal situation. Right now Karlsson has to come in and learn.

Absolutly he is in Ottawa to learn, thats why you go to school too, doesnt mean you dont skip a grade. Never the case with me, but you get the point.

cas wrote:It would be funny to see little Karlsson crunching people while big Kuba plays the puck :^^^^:

Maybe not in the corners but Karlsson has no problems taking someone's head off skating across the blueline.

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:
cas wrote:It would be funny to see little Karlsson crunching people while big Kuba plays the puck :^^^^:

Maybe not in the corners but Karlsson has no problems taking someone's head off skating across the blueline.

Damn I really hope he does make the big club. I'm getting more and more excited about him Ahhhhh!

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

He's made that team. Barring anything short of a disasterous camp or an injury, Karlsson is in Ottawa. He's made the team already basically, he has to show he deserves to stay.

I am still concerned about our backend toughness. I appreciate that Volchie and Phillips are 'team tough' we just don't have any nasty on the backend... Kuba, Campoli, Lee, Karlsson, Picard etc... don't make anyone afraid to stand in front of the keeper. That scares me a bit. I need someone to be nasty back there.

MurderOnIce wrote:I am still concerned about our backend toughness. I appreciate that Volchie and Phillips are 'team tough' we just don't have any nasty on the backend... Kuba, Campoli, Lee, Karlsson, Picard etc... don't make anyone afraid to stand in front of the keeper. That scares me a bit. I need someone to be nasty back there.

That has to be developed like anything else though. Cowen is on his way and hopefully there is a 5, 6 guy that comes out of no where someday.

N4L wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:I am still concerned about our backend toughness. I appreciate that Volchie and Phillips are 'team tough' we just don't have any nasty on the backend... Kuba, Campoli, Lee, Karlsson, Picard etc... don't make anyone afraid to stand in front of the keeper. That scares me a bit. I need someone to be nasty back there.

That has to be developed like anything else though. Cowen is on his way and hopefully there is a 5, 6 guy that comes out of no where someday.

won't be this year though. We are under physical on the backend. I think we have a reasonable presence up front, I am just afraid when we play the clubs with big forwards, like Boston, that Lecaire is not going to see one puck. Can't stop what you can't see...

Could be a problem, wont lie, but gonna have to roll with the punches for sure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum