GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

How Will The Playoff Teams Finish?

+9
Acrobat
wprager
caissie_1
shabbs
asq2
Cronie
SensFan71
PTFlea
davetherave
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:13 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

As it all comes down to the wire, the big question among hockey talk jocks and web warblers is about where the teams will finish.

With logjams in both East and West, predicting the last half of the top 8 is getting tricky indeed.

BTW interesting to see the threads with the pre-season predictions.

As of March 18, with 26 game nights left, and anywhere from 10 to 14 games to play for each team, here are the standings:

Eastern Conference

1. Boston 99
2. NJ Devils 95
3. Capitals 94
4. Flyers 84
5. Penguins 84
6. Rangers 82
7. Canadiens 81
8. Hurricanes 79

On the bubble:
Panthers 78, Sabres 76

Western Conference

1. Red Wings 103
2. Sharks 100
3. Flames 86
4. Blackhawks 83
5. Canucks 83
6. Blue Jackets 78
7. Oilers 75
8. Predators 75

On the bubble:
Stars 74, Wild 74, Blues 73; Ducks 70 are a long shot

With teams surging, sticking, slumping, fading, this year's finish will be marked--if the trend continues--by one goal games, shootouts, and upsets by spoilers.

In the East, positions 4 through 7 are separated by 3 points, and 8 through 10 by just another 3.

In the West, positions 3 through 5 could switch around a three point spread, 6th is tenuous, and 7 through 11 are a virtual dead heat.

Who are YOUR picks, and why?

2How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:19 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:As it all comes down to the wire, the big question among hockey talk jocks and web warblers is about where the teams will finish.

With logjams in both East and West, predicting the last half of the top 8 is getting tricky indeed.

As of March 18, with 26 game nights left, and anywhere from 10 to 14 games to play for each team, here are the standings:

Eastern Conference

1. Boston 99
2. NJ Devils 95
3. Capitals 94
4. Flyers 84
5. Penguins 84
6. Rangers 82
7. Canadiens 81
8. Hurricanes 79

On the bubble:
Panthers 78, Sabres 76

Western Conference

1. Red Wings 103
2. Sharks 100
3. Flames 86
4. Blackhawks 83
5. Canucks 83
6. Blue Jackets 78
7. Oilers 75
8. Predators 75

On the bubble:

With teams surging, sticking, slumping, fading, this year's finish will be marked--if the trend continues--by one goal games, shootouts, and upsets by spoilers.

In the East, positions 4 through 7 are separated by 3 points, and 8 through 10 by just another 3.

In the West, positions 3 through 5 could switch around a three point spread, 6th is tenuous, and 7 through 11 are a virtual dead heat.

Sadly, I see absolutely no change to the Eastern standings. Unless McCabe can play with half his face missing and Horton can come back by next game (impossible) or Vokoun steals them a couple.

NJ will take 1st from Boston though.

The Stars will get in, the Oilers will get bounced. That's it.

3How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:01 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

I tend to agree...though I think the Penguins will overhaul the Flyers.

The Panthers may also be struggling because, according to a report from Corus Sports, JayBo has played terrible hockey since March 4. 5 shots, no goals, and a minus 4. They suggest he may really have wanted to be traded.

In the West, the Canucks may continue their surge and finish ahead of the Flames and Blackhawks.

I see the Jackets holding sixth; and the Stars edging out the Oil as you said, due to Mike Richards' return.

4How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:I tend to agree...though I think the Penguins will overhaul the Flyers.

The Panthers may also be struggling because, according to a report from Corus Sports, JayBo has played terrible hockey since March 4. 5 shots, no goals, and a minus 4. They suggest he may really have wanted to be traded.

In the West, the Canucks may continue their surge and finish ahead of the Flames and Blackhawks.

I see the Jackets holding sixth; and the Stars edging out the Oil as you said, due to Mike Richards' return.

If I was a GM and I found out that was true, I would never go near that guy. That would make him a cancer.

5How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:39 pm

504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:I tend to agree...though I think the Penguins will overhaul the Flyers.

If I was a GM and I found out that was true, I would never go near that guy. That would make him a cancer.

Warning bells for sure, but he isnt the first guy to mail it in while playing in Florida. Still an absolute stud and in the right market, players, and managment he will be more of a star then he is now.

6How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:03 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

It certainly doesn't look good for the Panthers right now...they've lost four of their last five, albeit two in shootouts...

The fact is nobody really knows much about Bouwmeester's character. He's played on a lousy Florida team for so long...in the previous five seasons, he's never been a leader for the Panthers.

I used to watch them regularly when I lived down there (a painful process, I assure you), and I always wondered why a guy with his talent didn't assert himself more on the ice.

Yes, the big JayBo hype machine is all revved up, and he's played well this season, but does anybody REALLY know what he's worth?

7How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

^ An excellent point. What the heck is this guy's worth? A lot I imagine, but hey...with that attitude what if the bright lights of the big city (Toronto, Vancouver etc.) make him uncomfortable and he wants to leave?

There are a lot of warning bells for me as well. There might be merit in pursuing other D-men - they might not be as good as Bow, but they might be less of a risk.

8How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

More big games that can change the playoff picture comin up this evening...

Marty will try to B-Devil the Canes in Raleigh, but Maurice's Mob need to put up the points so they can batten down their playoff patch. A pair would push Gainey's Gang further towards the edge...

Meanwhile, Dallas' duel with the Flamin' Cowpokes in Alberta will be a shootemup worth watching...the Stars are in must-win mode.

Down in Duckland, the Music City Maniacs will hope to sing a song of victory...but Nashville's nattiest might find themselves pecked and pucked by the angry quackers from Anaheim.

Then there's the joltin' Jackets who'll come out firing the cannon...but will Slammin' Sammy Pahlsson and the hungry Hawks, with the Count of Monte Cristo looking for revenge against Nasty Nash and Hitch's Horde, swoop away with a needed win?

Stay tuned for exciting action on the NHL 2Nite!

9How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:41 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:As it all comes down to the wire, the big question among hockey talk jocks and web warblers is about where the teams will finish.

Eastern Conference

1. Boston 99
2. NJ Devils 95
3. Capitals 94
4. Flyers 84
5. Penguins 84
6. Rangers 82
7. Canadiens 81
8. Hurricanes 79

On the bubble:
Panthers 78, Sabres 76

Western Conference

1. Red Wings 103
2. Sharks 100
3. Flames 86
4. Blackhawks 83
5. Canucks 83
6. Blue Jackets 78
7. Oilers 75
8. Predators 75

On the bubble:

Not an expert on the west, so will stick to what I know in the east, am seeing Montreal getting knocked out in favour of Florida, not Buffalo, unless Buffalo has a bit more determination than what they showed against Ottawa, they didn't even have 20 shots that game, that is not the drive of a bubble playoff team. Florida has a lot more young players that want to drive to win, and DeBoer seems to be able to harness that drive properly. By no means will they win a lot (anything can happen though), but the Panthers in playoff hockey should be exciting to watch. (it would goad toronto fans too to see mccabe playing playoff hockey in another jersey)

10How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:41 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Well, just checking in after 48 hours, here's where they are:

Eastern Conference

1. Boston 100
2. Capitals 96
3. Devils 95
4. Flyers 84
5. Penguins 84
6. Rangers 82
7. Canadiens 81
8. Hurricanes 81

On the bubble:
Panthers 80, Sabres 76 (fading)

Western Conference

1. Red Wings 103
2. Sharks 102
3. Flames 86
4. Canucks 85
5. Blackhawks 84
6. Blue Jackets 80
7. Oilers 77
8. Predators 77

On the bubble:
Wild 74, Ducks move up to 74, Stars stuck in neutral at 74, Blues still at 73; Kings are a long shot again at 70

Terrific--and very important--weekend coming up.

Of particular note, the Canucks keep on coming...they may overtake Calgary shortly.

11How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This will certainly be an interesting and exciting weekend indeed.

Can the Sens, for instance, finally beat the Isles?
Will the Canucks overtake Calgary?
Will the Habs continue their freefall?

12How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:47 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:This will certainly be an interesting and exciting weekend indeed.

Can the Sens, for instance, finally beat the Isles?
Will the Canucks overtake Calgary?
Will the Habs continue their freefall?

Am definitely rooting for the Leafs against the Habs, would love for Montreal to fall down to 9th in the east and stay there, queueing a mediocre mid round pick.

13How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So am I SF... Believe me, I'm NOT one of those "the Sens can make the playoffs" homers, but nothing would freak me out more if Montreal got bounced out of it's berth and somehow, Ottawa sneaks in.

Either way, realistically, I'd LOVE to shut those OLE chantin' freaks up and have them watch their team slip out and miss the post-season all together.

14How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:43 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:So am I SF... Believe me, I'm NOT one of those "the Sens can make the playoffs" homers, but nothing would freak me out more if Montreal got bounced out of it's berth and somehow, Ottawa sneaks in.

Either way, realistically, I'd LOVE to shut those OLE chantin' freaks up and have them watch their team slip out and miss the post-season all together.

oh yeah Montreal being bounced, that is a definite reality, Ottawa sneaking in, yeah you are right, not exactly going to happen, think we would have to run the table in terms of wins, then hope on a lot of if's happening.

15How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Empty Re: How Will The Playoff Teams Finish? Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:05 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The playoffs are slip slidin' away for the Sabres...and the Kings can pretty much kiss 'em goodbye after being plucked by the Pens.

Saturday night at the fights will be 'last man standing'...Caps-Canes, Habs-Leafs, Stars-Sharks, Sabres-Rangers, Panthers-Jackets...all games that will mean a glimmer of playoff life, or the beginning of the death of a season, for more than half of these teams.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum