GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL 2009 Draft question

+10
PTFlea
Jordo
Acrobat
rooneypoo
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
Riprock
caissie_1
PKC
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

61NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Anyway, going back to the original discussion (and the MSP discussion), how often does (a non-1st overall) pick come in as an 18 year old and make an impact in the NHL?

When you ask whether you can get these guys into your line-up, it's not like you're getting them in their primes.

Even if MSP was coming over next season, I doubt he'd have a huge impact as an 18 year old kid.

62NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Neely4Life wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:Don't count on it - he wants to play in the NHL. He will not hold out like Wheeler. Only way is if he is traded.

Maybe not, but if Im Tavares I tell Atlanta not to draft me or to trade me as soon as you do. Tavares will not help that franchise, nothing will.

Firing Waddell is a start. How he's still employed is beyond me.

63NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 pm

asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Here is a scenario for everyone... Thrashers get the 1st overall pick, does Tavares refuse to play there? I bet he will.

I'd put money against that.

He's a good kid. If it's that bad, he'll leave after his first deal.

Refusing to play for the team that drafts you IMO makes you look like a prima donna and thus less enticing to other teams.

Also this is probably moot because the Islanders are running away with last place and will have a very strong chance at first over-all as a result.

"running away" might be a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? I mean, they're 4 points behind us...Don't count us out just yet Wink

64NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:51 pm

cash wrote:
asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Here is a scenario for everyone... Thrashers get the 1st overall pick, does Tavares refuse to play there? I bet he will.

I'd put money against that.

He's a good kid. If it's that bad, he'll leave after his first deal.

Refusing to play for the team that drafts you IMO makes you look like a prima donna and thus less enticing to other teams.

Also this is probably moot because the Islanders are running away with last place and will have a very strong chance at first over-all as a result.

"running away" might be a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? I mean, they're 4 points behind us...

6. And we have two games in hand. And sadly, now that it's too late, we are showing signs of improvement. Day late and a dollar short. We won't be catching the Islanders. I'd say Atlanta might, but the Islanders will surely get worse at the deadline. I'd say they are a lock for 30th.

65NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Oh yeah, we won a game Smile awesome. impressive. rare.

If I had a bet to put on who would finish last, I would bet it would be one of those two teams, but they're still relatively close to the rest of the pack at the bottom.

66NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:23 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

To clarify where we stand (and are likely to finish), here are the statistics:

TeamGamesPointsWin%To Match
NYI 54 38 0.352 0.200
Atlanta 56 43 0.384 0.283
Tampa 54 47 0.435 0.417
Ottawa 52 46 0.442 -----
Toronto 54 50 0.463 0.500
Colorado 55 51 0.464 0.500
St. Louis 53 50 0.472 0.517

The win percentage represents the team's win percentage to date (numbers are as of 10:30 on Feb 12th). The "To Match" column represents what Ottawa's record would have to be to equal (catch or fall to) the named team assuming that the other team continues to play at the same level that they have played thus far (i.e. if Toronto plays at a 0.463 win percentage the rest of the way, then Ottawa has to play 0.500 hockey to catch them).

This information, as well as the fact that Ottawa's current point total added to an optimistic 0.500 record the rest of the way still only totals 76 points (good for 28th place overall last year), suggests that Ottawa will be unlikely to end up with Hedman or Tavares unless there is a trade up/down, but that anything later than 6th is unlikely as well.

67NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:22 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

With the talk of the Sens looking or fans wanting the next Ryan Getzlaf, and with Murray holding two, with possibility of adding more, first round picks, it's possible that Peter Holland (Guelph, OHL) could be that guy. Big, strong forward that scores most of his goals in front of the net.

68NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:23 pm

MSP will be the guy the Sens choose with the 5th or 6th overall pick IMO. Everything else is up in the air.

69NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:24 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Holland isn't likely to go top 10, so he could be the late pick that is a steal. Though, it would also be nice to add a goalie like Olivier Roy and/or Edward Pasquale.

70NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:26 pm

The Sens will prob take a goalie in the 2nd or 3rd round, there is basically no rush for a goaltender with Elliott now holding it down.

We can draft a goalie and defenitly develope him the right way with no rush. Elliott could very well be this teams saving grace for so many reason, the draft being one of them.

71NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Neely4Life wrote:MSP will be the guy the Sens choose with the 5th or 6th overall pick IMO. Everything else is up in the air.
How is that not up in the air?

72NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:31 pm

Just the way the season is going and how I see the draft going, and taking into consideration the Sens needs. I just think at the end of the day, thats the first player you see wearing a Sens Jersey... unless we win the lotto.

73NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:32 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:With the talk of the Sens looking or fans wanting the next Ryan Getzlaf, and with Murray holding two, with possibility of adding more, first round picks, it's possible that Peter Holland (Guelph, OHL) could be that guy. Big, strong forward that scores most of his goals in front of the net.

I see Scott Glennie being even more in the Getzlaf mould.

74NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:33 pm

Murray will find his player which I love, because they are always big and hard noised.

75NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:49 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

If the Sens somehow ended up with a top 2 pick, I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down a couple of spots and acquire some much needed help in the form of roster players that can address potential holes in the lineup.

76NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:51 pm

The 1 thing the Sens have never truly had is a power forward. People might say Heatley, but he is a lot more finess than anything.

Would love to see a mean mother in black and red soon.

77NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:43 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:The 1 thing the Sens have never truly had is a power forward. People might say Heatley, but he is a lot more finess than anything.

Brayden Schenn and Zack Kassian fit the bill in that regard.

What are your criteria though? Because Fisher and to a certain extent Alfredsson have some powerforward characteristics IMO.

78NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 5 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:47 pm

asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:The 1 thing the Sens have never truly had is a power forward. People might say Heatley, but he is a lot more finess than anything.

Brayden Schenn and Zack Kassian fit the bill in that regard.

What are your criteria though? Because Fisher and to a certain extent Alfredsson have some powerforward characteristics IMO.

I was looking at Kssian and I think thats the kid that Murray would want on the wing in Ottawa eventually. I dont watch enough OHL hockey to really get an idea of what he bring, but I would love to know.

I like Fisher as a PF but more of a mean streak. Basically a dirty player who can back it all up with some skill. Someone who when you see him play you go "wow, thats was really uncalled for", and not much the other team can do about it. Then he pops one, haha.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum