GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL 2009 Draft question

+10
PTFlea
Jordo
Acrobat
rooneypoo
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
Riprock
caissie_1
PKC
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

46NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Perhaps this signing causes him to drop somewhat in the draft.... say till the end of the 1st round? Or us picking up an extra 1st round pick and getting him in the early round? Some teams might be looking for a guy for the now, and MSP clearly won't be joining an NHL team next season.

I'm fairly confident we will wind up with a top 2 pick, that is unless the NHL Draft is rigged (and I have my conspiracies). In that case, look for a team like Atlanta to win, maybe NYI as well, considering one is going bankrupt and the other's owner wants to sell and move the team.

I'm certain we should wind up with at least 3 first round picks in the 09 draft.

I like Hedman/Tavares as my 1/2 pick, or vice versa (OTT's pick), followed by a guy like Duchene if we get that lucky, or Peter Holland, Schroeder, Schenn (acquired via trade), and then a goalie like Roy or Pasquale in the late round (SJ's).

47NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:35 pm

smash88

Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Perhaps this signing causes him to drop somewhat in the draft.... say till the end of the 1st round? Or us picking up an extra 1st round pick and getting him in the early round? Some teams might be looking for a guy for the now, and MSP clearly won't be joining an NHL team next season.

I'm fairly confident we will wind up with a top 2 pick, that is unless the NHL Draft is rigged (and I have my conspiracies). In that case, look for a team like Atlanta to win, maybe NYI as well, considering one is going bankrupt and the other's owner wants to sell and move the team.

I'm certain we should wind up with at least 3 first round picks in the 09 draft.

Yeah, it really depends cause I forget the percentages but they are significantly better if your last... How many times has it happened where the team finishing in last place dosen't get the 1st pick?

48NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:35 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Perhaps this signing causes him to drop somewhat in the draft.... say till the end of the 1st round? Or us picking up an extra 1st round pick and getting him in the early round? Some teams might be looking for a guy for the now, and MSP clearly won't be joining an NHL team next season.

Not a chance.

If he drops past the top-10, every GM who passes on him from then on should be fired on the spot.

Falling out of the top-6 would be a surprise to me.

I don't see why taking another year in Europe would deter GMs much. The Blues knew Erik Johnson was going to take another year in College and yet still drafted him first over-all even with the knowledge of Toews' potential.

49NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Here is a scenario for everyone... Thrashers get the 1st overall pick, does Tavares refuse to play there? I bet he will.

50NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:38 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

To be honest, I think this is just confirmation of what everyone knew. I really doubt it affects his draft status.

It's probably more relevant to Erik Karlsson, because there were rumours that MSP was looking to move to Frolunda next season.

51NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:38 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Don't count on it - he wants to play in the NHL. He will not hold out like Wheeler. Only way is if he is traded.

52NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:40 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Here is a scenario for everyone... Thrashers get the 1st overall pick, does Tavares refuse to play there? I bet he will.

I'd put money against that.

He's a good kid. If it's that bad, he'll leave after his first deal.

Refusing to play for the team that drafts you IMO makes you look like a prima donna and thus less enticing to other teams.

Also this is probably moot because the Islanders are running away with last place and will have a very strong chance at first over-all as a result.

Last edited by asq2 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

53NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:40 pm

DashRiprock wrote:Don't count on it - he wants to play in the NHL. He will not hold out like Wheeler. Only way is if he is traded.

Maybe not, but if Im Tavares I tell Atlanta not to draft me or to trade me as soon as you do. Tavares will not help that franchise, nothing will.

54NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:41 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:Here is a scenario for everyone... Thrashers get the 1st overall pick, does Tavares refuse to play there? I bet he will.

yeah I figure he'll go to where he's drafted... He dosen't seem like one to cause trouble like that... If it gets that bad where he goes, he can always leave after his entry contract...

55NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:41 pm

asq2 wrote:

Refusing to play for the team that drafts you IMO makes you look like a prima donna and thus less enticing to other teams.

I dont know, I really dont. This is just some food for thought, but I can see it happening. I wouldnt even hold it against him, who would want to play there. I say its 100% justified if he wants to actually make an impact in the NHL. Good kid or not, he may also be a very smart kid.

56NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:
asq2 wrote:

I dont know, I really dont. This is just some food for thought, but I can see it happening. I wouldnt even hold it against him, who would want to play there. I say its 100% justified if he wants to actually make an impact in the NHL. Good kid or not, he may also be a very smart kid.

I agree that it will be unfortunate to waste 3 years of his NHL if indeed he goes to a team that is helpless...

57NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:45 pm

Ya, I dunno, just curious what people think... Im not saying he will, but I dont think anyones mouth would hit the ground if he did. I dont think the reaction would be "what a little punk" either. Mine would be "hell, I wouldnt play there either".

58NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:49 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

They made the playoffs a few years back.

Bogosian finally gives them a presence on the blue-line, Kovalchuk probably will still be there, same goes for Kozlov, Brian Little, Todd White etc.

59NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:58 pm

Ya, but Atlanta has to win now, they cant wait. Kovulchuk is as good as gone, Kozlov is on his last legs, Lehtonen seems to be a bust... not a good situation in Atlanta right now.

60NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If Kozlov isn't wanted in Atlanta, this guy would be perfect here to balance out our secondary scoring. A little expensive, but he's damn good.

61NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Anyway, going back to the original discussion (and the MSP discussion), how often does (a non-1st overall) pick come in as an 18 year old and make an impact in the NHL?

When you ask whether you can get these guys into your line-up, it's not like you're getting them in their primes.

Even if MSP was coming over next season, I doubt he'd have a huge impact as an 18 year old kid.

62NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Neely4Life wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:Don't count on it - he wants to play in the NHL. He will not hold out like Wheeler. Only way is if he is traded.

Maybe not, but if Im Tavares I tell Atlanta not to draft me or to trade me as soon as you do. Tavares will not help that franchise, nothing will.

Firing Waddell is a start. How he's still employed is beyond me.

63NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 pm

asq2 wrote:

Also this is probably moot because the Islanders are running away with last place and will have a very strong chance at first over-all as a result.

"running away" might be a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? I mean, they're 4 points behind us...Don't count us out just yet Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum