GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL 2009 Draft question

+10
PTFlea
Jordo
Acrobat
rooneypoo
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
Riprock
caissie_1
PKC
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

121NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:07 pm

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

I admit I don't know too much about this Magnus SP kid (MSP). I do see MSP this and MSP that, and I am hoping that it's just not the catchy moniker.

Did he play at the juniors?

122NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:13 pm

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

now call me ignorant, with regards to the top selections at this year's draft, but Tavares, I have seen him play and he strikes me as a Heatley-style sniper. Not bad to have, but certainly not Ovechkin or Crosby level. Hedman, as I understand it is one or two major concussions away from being a non player. A rugged defenceman is bound to get a concussion pretty quickly. Why the big hubbub, I do not know

What we need is a big, rangy forward with decent speed, good hands, better elbows, and a badass attitude, or a defenceman who is the same. What do you think, and who do you recommend, as I don't know this year's crop very well.

123NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:now call me ignorant, with regards to the top selections at this year's draft, but Tavares, I have seen him play and he strikes me as a Heatley-style sniper. Not bad to have, but certainly not Ovechkin or Crosby level. Hedman, as I understand it is one or two major concussions away from being a non player. A rugged defenceman is bound to get a concussion pretty quickly. Why the big hubbub, I do not know

What we need is a big, rangy forward with decent speed, good hands, better elbows, and a badass attitude, or a defenceman who is the same. What do you think, and who do you recommend, as I don't know this year's crop very well.

What? How is that not the case for every player?

Tavares is the best goal-scoring prospect since Ovechkin. He could score 60 at the NHL level. He's Heatley with better hands and stick-handling.

Brayden Schenn is the closest thing to what you've described, and Zack Kassian later, but neither come close to Hedman or Tavares.

Who on the Wings fits that description?

124NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:18 pm

If it came down to it, I wouldnt even choose JT 2nd.

125NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:18 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:I admit I don't know too much about this Magnus SP kid (MSP). I do see MSP this and MSP that, and I am hoping that it's just not the catchy moniker.

Yeah. His ability to get to the net with the puck was pretty awe-inspiring, although his finishing ability wasn't. If he had Tavares' ability to put the puck in the net he'd have had 20 or so goals.

126NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:50 pm

asq2 wrote:
beedub wrote:I admit I don't know too much about this Magnus SP kid (MSP). I do see MSP this and MSP that, and I am hoping that it's just not the catchy moniker.

Yeah. His ability to get to the net with the puck was pretty awe-inspiring, although his finishing ability wasn't. If he had Tavares' ability to put the puck in the net he'd have had 20 or so goals.

His finish in that clip you posted the other day was pretty nice. Pretty impressive stickhandling in traffic around the net. Very sexy indeed!

127NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:12 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:

His finish in that clip you posted the other day was pretty nice. Pretty impressive stickhandling in traffic around the net. Very sexy indeed!

This kid could end up being the (almost) perfect power forward.

We need Hedman - more than we need another T6 forward - but if Hedman is gone, and MSP is still there, I'd say he would warrant serious consideration. The problem is that he may end up going in the first four as well.

128NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:04 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:

This kid could end up being the (almost) perfect power forward.

We need Hedman - more than we need another T6 forward - but if Hedman is gone, and MSP is still there, I'd say he would warrant serious consideration. The problem is that he may end up going in the first four as well.

Certainly.

My list is:

1. Hedman
2. Tavares
3. Duchene
4. MSP
5. Cowen - he'll drop, so if we continue to win I hope Murray tries to get him
6. Kane
7. Schenn

Depending on your definition of powerforward, though, Kane and especially Schenn probably fit the bill more.

129NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:17 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

There's so many players I'd love to draft this year. Duchene, Holland, Kane, MSP, Cowen, Despres.... I wish we had 10 first rounders.

130NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:21 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:There's so many players I'd love to draft this year. Duchene, Holland, Kane, MSP, Cowen, Despres.... I wish we had 10 first rounders.

Agreed. I also would really like Tomas Tatar, so hopefully he's around in the second round.

131NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:26 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Oliver Ekman-Larsson's really impressing many lately and is rising up the draft ranks. Could be another steal in the mid-to-late round of the first?

Next year's going to be a good year too - Taylor Hall and John McFarland are going to be good players from all accounts.

132NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:38 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:
Dash wrote:There's so many players I'd love to draft this year. Duchene, Holland, Kane, MSP, Cowen, Despres.... I wish we had 10 first rounders.

Agreed. I also would really like Tomas Tatar, so hopefully he's around in the second round.

Was that the kid who played with Slovakia in the WJC? I think that was his name Tatar... If it was he played a great game versus the US, was a little rough in some areas, but I agree he could be one of those guys that could be really good...

133NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:41 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Oliver Ekman-Larsson's really impressing many lately and is rising up the draft ranks. Could be another steal in the mid-to-late round of the first?

Next year's going to be a good year too - Taylor Hall and John McFarland are going to be good players from all accounts.

Not a huge McFarland fan. The guy who should challenge Hall for first over-all is Kirill Kabanov.

The best defenceman in that draft is probably Cam Fowler.

2010 should be a good year for the Finns with Teemu Pulkkinen and Mikael Granlund up near the top.

134NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:42 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

smash88 wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Was that the kid who played with Slovakia in the WJC? I think that was his name Tatar... If it was he played a great game versus the US, was a little rough in some areas, but I agree he could be one of those guys that could be really good...

Yeah, the 17 year old little guy.

He's small-ish, but he's got great offensive skill and the heart of a lion. Tatar never quit, not even against the Swedes.

135NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:44 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:
smash88 wrote:
asq2 wrote:

He's small-ish, but he's got great offensive skill and the heart of a lion. Tatar never quit, not even against the Swedes.

So is he eligible this year to be drafted or only next year?

136NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:48 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

smash88 wrote:
asq2 wrote:
smash88 wrote:
asq2 wrote:

So is he eligible this year to be drafted or only next year?

This year, I'm pretty sure. Svensson Paajarvi was only 17 in that tournament as well.

137NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:02 pm

This seems to a very weak year for goalies. I don't see much potential in Pasquale or Roy, and I don't know much about the Euro goalies.

138NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 9 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:This seems to a very weak year for goalies. I don't see much potential in Pasquale or Roy, and I don't know much about the Euro goalies.

Yeah, none of Lee, Roy or Pasquale seems like a first round pick.

I'd still take a goalie prospect in the later rounds, even if it's just for Bingo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum