GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL 2009 Draft question

+10
PTFlea
Jordo
Acrobat
rooneypoo
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
Riprock
caissie_1
PKC
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

31NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Dobber has his mock-draft for February up, if anyone's interested in yet another take on who's who and who might go when. The guys at Dobber follow the young kids very closely as part of their business.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1691/1/

Note that Ellis has received a huge bump, and Kadri has taken a big hit... in this particular mock-draft, anyway...

32NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

They've also got SJ selecting with their pick which belongs to Ottawa.

33NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:28 pm

I love MSP and I still think he will be the best draft pick from this draft up front. That kid was dominating at the WJC's and every chance I got to watch the kid play he was something else.

That kid would not look bad in a Sens uniform, but I think he is about a year or two away still.

34NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:35 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

MSP could be the most dominant forward out of the draft.

But he's got to improve his shot and his defensive game (this per scouting reports, when I've seen him he hasn't seemed poor defensively).

I'd love to take him, but if you stack up his attributes against Duchene's, Duchene wins.

35NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 pm

asq2 wrote:He could be the most dominant forward out of the draft.

But he's got to improve his shot and his defensive game.

Every young forward for the most part has to work on the defensive side of the puck, but he wasnt bad to be honest. He needs coaching for sure in that aspect, but he worked hard on the back end which I think is more important at this point than anything.

His shot, meh, he isnt a D man so not a huge concern, but always room to improve that as well. Either way he is going to be a good one.

36NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:48 pm

asq2 wrote:
cash wrote:Kadri won't go in the top 10...

Who do you see replacing him?

I see Ellis and Kassian frequently put there but I don't feel that they're top-10 prospects.

Jacob Josefson might go top-10, but that doesn't preclude Kadri going top-10.

He's certainly no better than #9 on the prospect list, but are you suggesting Kulikov and Josefson take Kadri out of the top-10?
I actually thought Ellis would go 9th and Kulikov or Kassian would round out the top-10, but Ellis seems to be a great fit on Tampa (as per dobber...)
Assuming Tampa does step up and finish that late, than Ellis could very well go early just like dobber has it.

As for Kadri, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him fall right out of the top-20. I'm saying its likely; I'm just saying its possible.

37NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:49 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Eh.

I think Ellis is a pretty huge stretch to go top-5.

If Tampa wants him, they should definitely trade down.

38NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:05 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Also, as for Kadri, why would he fall that far?

His offensive skills are amazing and he's a great character guy.

39NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Anyone notice that Kadri sounds almost painfully like Spezza?

EDIT: From Dobber: "has returned to his bad habits- toe drags in every situation, lazy defensive play, little physical contact."

40NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

He is similar, although worse and smaller.

I don't think he has the defensive potential that Spezza has either.

But I've heard good things about his character.

His offensive ability should propel him into the top-10 IMO.

41NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:47 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

MSP signs a one-year contract extension with Timra.

If we go by our experience with Karlsson, that probably means he's staying another season in Sweden.

42NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Interesting asq2, I wonder if this makes him less valuable in the draft?

43NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:02 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

It might, but I don't think it's a surprise. This is probably what's best for his development.

MSP IMO is one of the more risky, long-terms picks in the top of the draft but the potential pay-off (a potential that I think he's pretty likely to get close to) is unbelievable.

44NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:MSP signs a one-year contract extension with Timra.

If we go by our experience with Karlsson, that probably means he's staying another season in Sweden.

To learn how to finish hopefully?

45NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:32 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:MSP signs a one-year contract extension with Timra.

To learn how to finish hopefully?

From long-range is my concern.

He generated a tonne of chances at the WJHC but a lot of the time as he was getting to the net he was hooked up and either should have drawn penalties/penalty shots or did draw penalties.

I'm confident he can finish around the net. His hands and speed are too good not to.

Scoring off the wing or off the one-timer is what I hope he can improve. Right now he's still a huge offensive threat as a play-maker but his goal-scoring ability is restricted to Ryan Smyth scoring zones.

46NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Perhaps this signing causes him to drop somewhat in the draft.... say till the end of the 1st round? Or us picking up an extra 1st round pick and getting him in the early round? Some teams might be looking for a guy for the now, and MSP clearly won't be joining an NHL team next season.

I'm fairly confident we will wind up with a top 2 pick, that is unless the NHL Draft is rigged (and I have my conspiracies). In that case, look for a team like Atlanta to win, maybe NYI as well, considering one is going bankrupt and the other's owner wants to sell and move the team.

I'm certain we should wind up with at least 3 first round picks in the 09 draft.

I like Hedman/Tavares as my 1/2 pick, or vice versa (OTT's pick), followed by a guy like Duchene if we get that lucky, or Peter Holland, Schroeder, Schenn (acquired via trade), and then a goalie like Roy or Pasquale in the late round (SJ's).

47NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:35 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Perhaps this signing causes him to drop somewhat in the draft.... say till the end of the 1st round? Or us picking up an extra 1st round pick and getting him in the early round? Some teams might be looking for a guy for the now, and MSP clearly won't be joining an NHL team next season.

I'm fairly confident we will wind up with a top 2 pick, that is unless the NHL Draft is rigged (and I have my conspiracies). In that case, look for a team like Atlanta to win, maybe NYI as well, considering one is going bankrupt and the other's owner wants to sell and move the team.

I'm certain we should wind up with at least 3 first round picks in the 09 draft.

Yeah, it really depends cause I forget the percentages but they are significantly better if your last... How many times has it happened where the team finishing in last place dosen't get the 1st pick?

48NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:35 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Perhaps this signing causes him to drop somewhat in the draft.... say till the end of the 1st round? Or us picking up an extra 1st round pick and getting him in the early round? Some teams might be looking for a guy for the now, and MSP clearly won't be joining an NHL team next season.

Not a chance.

If he drops past the top-10, every GM who passes on him from then on should be fired on the spot.

Falling out of the top-6 would be a surprise to me.

I don't see why taking another year in Europe would deter GMs much. The Blues knew Erik Johnson was going to take another year in College and yet still drafted him first over-all even with the knowledge of Toews' potential.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum