GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

That wasn't rage, that was indignation.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:One more sleep before the Sens play again.  Here's an interesting stat to ponder:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-pdo-numbers-save-plus-shooting-percentage/2015/

Ottawa is third in team PDO.  PDO is simply the sum of your shooting percentage and your SV%.  These numbers tend to usually regress to the mean, which would be 100.  A PDO of around 104 is considered pretty high and usually not sustainable over the course of a full season.  The Rangers lead with a PDO of 104.6 -- not very long ago they were even higher than that.  Down Goes Brown recently wrote an article about how Washington may actually be the team to watch in the East, and not the Rangers or Montreal.  One of the reasons he listed in knocking the Rangers down a bit was their very high PDO.  Washington is 5th in the league -- the implication was that the Rangers and Montreal -- they sit second -- are doing it with "smoke-and-mirrors", relying too much on unsustainably high shooting percentage and great goaltending, while the Caps are doing it by simply outplaying their opposition.

Not sure what to think about the Sens being 3rd.  Clearly they are there because they are winning despite routinely being outshot.  So a high shooting percentage and a high SV%.  Their team SV% is .920 which is not outrageous (6th highest in the league).  The team shooting percentage is 2nd only to the Habs (11.25 versus 11.56).  But here's an interesting twist on things:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/teams/4967/ottawa-senators/#Shooting%20%25$SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1900

The high shooting percentage is actually a trend over the last three seasons.  Back in 2012 they hit rock bottom at 7%, then went up to 8.5 and 9.1 in successive seasons, before zooming over 11 this season.  We're just at the quarter mark so it's still considered early, but three years of improvement in a row isn't coincidence, it's trend.  
I was just going to say maybe this is a trend, like teams changing the way they play and just shooting more as opposed to being unsustainable maybe it is sustainable depending on the style you adopt.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:That wasn't rage, that was indignation.

Mission. Accomplished.

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 26 852933671

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Mission. Accomplished.

We're on a mission to indignate.

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 26 We__re_on_a_mission_from_god_by_lubyelfears

Last edited by wprager on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Mission. Accomplished.

We're on a mission to indignate.

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 26 We__re_on_a_mission_from_god_by_lubyelfears

I gotta get me a Bluesmobile!!!!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Erik Karlsson is on a pace for 18 goals, 89 points, +37.

Ryan: 30 g, 74 pts
Turris: 41 g, 70 pts
Hoffman: 35 g, 82 pts (only played 18, assuming plays 78)
Stone: 16 g, 76 pts (played 20, assuming plays 80)
Zibanejad: 16 g, 60 pts
Pageau: 22 g, 33 pts

Would be nice to get MacArthur back because right now we don't have top-six. Pageau is the next leading forward but he's the 3LC. If Michalek could heat up that would be interesting. Rotating the likes of Lazar and Prince through the top-six is not going to work for very long.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This one's available:

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 26 Blues-mobile-falls-apart-o

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rangers lost in regulation. Now there is only one team that has fewer regulation losses than the Sens. And they are going down tonight in New Jersey. Book it!

The Sens had a late morning skate because the Coyotes and Flames had to skate first. The Coyotes are playing tonight so they'll be dog tired for our game tomorrow. Wonder if the Sens managed to score some tickets to *scout* the Coyotes. That's gotta be a rare situation.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not only did the Rangers lose in regulation, they also lost Derek Stepan. Broken ribs, out indefinitely.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Erik Karlsson is on a pace for 18 goals, 89 points, +37.

Would be nice to get MacArthur back because right now we don't have top-six.  Pageau is the next leading forward but he's the 3LC.  If Michalek could heat up that would be interesting.  Rotating the likes of Lazar and Prince through the top-six is not going to work for very long.

I agree about the impact Mac will have, but it makes things fresh when you put in some skilled youth there. Lazar has played more like we expected recently, although the points aren't there, Prince had two solid games in a row, michalek can sub in there too. I guess it's good that we're see who works and who doesn't for future injuries too.

Getting back a healthy Mac though...

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:

Would be nice to get MacArthur back because right now we don't have top-six.  Pageau is the next leading forward but he's the 3LC.  If Michalek could heat up that would be interesting.  Rotating the likes of Lazar and Prince through the top-six is not going to work for very long.

I agree about the impact Mac will have, but it makes things fresh when you put in some skilled youth there.  Lazar has played more like we expected recently, although the points aren't there, Prince had two solid games in a row, michalek can sub in there too.   I guess it's good that we're see who works and who doesn't for future injuries too.  

Getting a healthy mac will be like we pulled a trade without giving ip anything. What we need though is still an upgrade on defence and you can bet that with the recent games won that is no longer important for BM.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Jared Cowen is leading the Sens in +/-. Mike Hoffman is the leading forward. That is all.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:

I agree about the impact Mac will have, but it makes things fresh when you put in some skilled youth there.  Lazar has played more like we expected recently, although the points aren't there, Prince had two solid games in a row, michalek can sub in there too.   I guess it's good that we're see who works and who doesn't for future injuries too.  

This is a bigger problem than I think you realize. Lazar needs to score if he's going to get primo minutes.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rayn is tied for the team lead in shots on goal. Hoffman is 3 off the pace but has missed 4 games.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:

This is a bigger problem than I think you realize. Lazar needs to score if he's going to get primo minutes.

While I don't think anyone expected Lazar to be a point producing machine it's fair to say that he has underachieved in the offense department so far. And underachieved in a pretty significant way. Shane Prince has more points in 14 games than Lazar in 21. And don't tell me that Prince is expected to score more because that's his game -- Prince has been skating mostly with Neil and Smith. I think the expectation, rightfully, was that Lazar would be at least keeping pace with Pageau, but the reality is (IMO) that he's actually been holding Jean-Gabriel up a little, just like he was holding back Pageau/Condra last season (I said that last year, too). He needs a confidence boost in a big way, and if he's not going to get it by scoring a pair of goals like Prince did, then maybe he needs 10-15 games down in Bingo playing on their top line.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lazar got the blue-chip-offensive-prospect treatment going straight from Junior to the NHL. It's silly to pretend that shouldn't come with expectations that far exceed what he's done so far.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

To me lazar has Been great in his role and certainly similar to that of Condra last year and Pageau this season. He's a 20 year old player. He hasn't disappointed the team or myself so far

But has he disappointed City Ottawa?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He's been good, but the lack of offense is frustrating to all

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum