GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 40 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

His offence in BC is outstanding though! Didn't realize.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:His offence in BC is outstanding though!   Didn't realize.

1.5 PPG for a freshman? Not too shabby. The next highest freshman has 13 points in 11 games.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
But the genie is out of the bottle.  Then players will never give up guaranteed contracts.  It's up to the GMS and owners to stop doing stupid things.  

And, for the most part, they actually have stopped doing stupid things.

You qualified it with "for the most part," but there are quite a few horrendous contracts out there. There are quite a few being handed out as well.

I'd like some examples of "horrendous" contracts that were handed out in the summer of 2015.

I wasn't talking about 2015 exclusively, but I'll play. I think the Klefbom contract is really bad (7 years, ~$30M). The Beleskey contract is going to be an anchor (5x$3.8). Paul Martin gets way too much until he's 38 (4x$4.85). Soderberg is pretty bad (5x$4.75). Dubnyk's will be bad if last season was an aberration, which I expect is at least partially the case (6x$4.33).

I wouldn't call them horrendous, at least not in the Andy MacDonald, Bolland, Clarkson sense, but those ones are pretty bad. Either way, I'm just saying that GMs are still doing lots of stupid things.  

The Klefbom one could turn out terribly, but the rest of those are all under $5M per, and none of them are particularly horrid at this point in time. The Dubnyk one is actually good.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensChirp ‏@SensChirp 22m22 minutes ago

Interesting note from Friedman-Suggests the Avalanche were the team that came close to acquiring Wiercioch last year https://t.co/9vBvP7EiRt

So Weircioch and not Ceci? Interesting.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Interesting note from Friedman-Suggests the Avalanche were the team that came close to acquiring Wiercioch last year https://t.co/9vBvP7EiRt

So Weircioch and not Ceci?  Interesting.
That was last year and price was probably ridiculously low.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

So Weircioch and not Ceci? Interesting.

I wonder if they put any stock into his going to school in Denver? Anyway I hope this goes somewhere and improves our team somehow.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

With Cowen sidelined at least Weircioch will continue playing. He's not going to get his confidence back sitting in the pressbox.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:With Cowen sidelined at least Weircioch will continue playing. He's not going to get his confidence back sitting in the pressbox.

Seems reasonable.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Meh. I doubt if tge right deal came along with wouldn't get dealt and we'd call up someone.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
But the genie is out of the bottle.  Then players will never give up guaranteed contracts.  It's up to the GMS and owners to stop doing stupid things.  

And, for the most part, they actually have stopped doing stupid things.

You qualified it with "for the most part," but there are quite a few horrendous contracts out there. There are quite a few being handed out as well.

I'd like some examples of "horrendous" contracts that were handed out in the summer of 2015.

I wasn't talking about 2015 exclusively, but I'll play. I think the Klefbom contract is really bad (7 years, ~$30M). The Beleskey contract is going to be an anchor (5x$3.8). Paul Martin gets way too much until he's 38 (4x$4.85). Soderberg is pretty bad (5x$4.75). Dubnyk's will be bad if last season was an aberration, which I expect is at least partially the case (6x$4.33).

I wouldn't call them horrendous, at least not in the Andy MacDonald, Bolland, Clarkson sense, but those ones are pretty bad. Either way, I'm just saying that GMs are still doing lots of stupid things.  

The Klefbom one could turn out terribly, but the rest of those are all under $5M per, and none of them are particularly horrid at this point in time. The Dubnyk one is actually good.

The pattern of the ones I listed from this year (except Martin) is too much, too long, and too soon. Beleskey had one good season, Klef had 23 career points, Soderberg is unproven, and Dub has had one (unsustainably) good season. I think the GMs are still making poor choices.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

From EF's 30 Thoughts:

14. Team Canada World Cup GM Doug Armstrong is open about some of the new blood on the radar, undoubtedly wanting the likes of Brendan Gallagher, Taylor Hall, Jake Muzzin, Mark Stone and Tyler Toffoli to know they are being watched. Throw Kyle Turris into that group, too. Centre is the toughest position to break through, but he’s at least making them watch. And I have to think Brent Seabrook will be there on the North American ice surface, too.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hammond injured in practice (took yet another shot on the helmet, although hasn't been confirmed if that was it). O'Connor recalled from Bingo.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Hammond injured in practice (took yet another shot on the helmet, although hasn't been confirmed if that was it).  O'Connor recalled from Bingo.

Season. Over.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Francis Perron has 16 goals and 24 assists...in 20 games in the Q!

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:Francis Perron has 16 goals and 24 assists...in 20 games in the Q!  

3rd in the league!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Francis Perron has 16 goals and 24 assists...in 20 games in the Q!  

3rd in the league!

Yeah that's pretty Cussed up lol

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Hammond injured in practice (took yet another shot on the helmet, although hasn't been confirmed if that was it).  O'Connor recalled from Bingo.

Season. Over.

Courtesy of one Zack Smith. Between taking penalties on the PK and shooting high on the goalie at practice this guy must just hate the Sens.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:
spader wrote:

3rd in the league!

Yeah that's pretty Cussed up lol

Defense in the Q has always been an afterthought.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 40 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum