GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 46 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Dreger says the Sens are about ready to cut bait on Jared Cowen.  

As we've discussed before, this will have to be a trade of bad contracts.  Cowen makes $4.5M next year.

Geez, it took a lot for Murray's eyes to be opened to how crappy this guy is now. I would have cut bait a long time ago, but now...it'll be a buyout that'll get us out of this, I think.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

On a similar note, Claesson has looked pretty solid. Quite impressed.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:On a similar note, Claesson has looked pretty solid.  Quite impressed.

Not disagreeing, but I'd look good playing with Karlsson.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:On a similar note, Claesson has looked pretty solid.  Quite impressed.

Yeah, but in his own right he's looked good. Confident with the puck, smart decisions, decent outlet passes.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MacKenzie says we're in on drouin.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:

Then you are definitely not Jared Cowen in real life.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:MacKenzie says we're in on drouin.  

Cowen for Drouin. Let's make them throw in a second rounder too because Cowen's contract is so reasonable.

Seriously though, this is likely Murray's old trick of saying we're in on a player we likely have no shot of landing. Murray will certainly check with the Lightning about Drouin (every GM will), so he can say we're "in". But it just ain't gonna happen, sorry.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:

Cowen for Drouin.  Let's make them throw in a second rounder too because Cowen's contract is so reasonable.  

Seriously though, this is likely Murray's old trick of saying we're in on a player we likely have no shot of landing.  Murray will certainly check with the Lightning about Drouin (every GM will), so he can say we're "in". But it just ain't gonna happen, sorry.

I would assume every GM is in on him, yeah, but that's a player I could see Murray really being interested in. Young, tons of untapped potential, still under control. Very Turris-esq.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

On an amusing note, Dreger said that the Sens could entice teams to take Greening by throwing in Cowen. Laugh1

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Cowen for Drouin.  Let's make them throw in a second rounder too because Cowen's contract is so reasonable.  

Seriously though, this is likely Murray's old trick of saying we're in on a player we likely have no shot of landing.  Murray will certainly check with the Lightning about Drouin (every GM will), so he can say we're "in". But it just ain't gonna happen, sorry.

I would assume every GM is in on him, yeah, but that's a player I could see Murray really being interested in.  Young, tons of untapped potential, still under control.  Very Turris-esq.

I think Drouin's a bit of a head-case, which is precisely why Murray will not pursue him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I would assume every GM is in on him, yeah, but that's a player I could see Murray really being interested in.  Young, tons of untapped potential, still under control.  Very Turris-esq.

I think Drouin's a bit of a head-case, which is precisely why Murray will not pursue him.

Is he?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Is he?

This is my take on it, and it certainly doesn't help that Alan Walsh is his agent. Maybe a change of environment fixes him, like it did for Turris. Keep in mind that the price for Drouin will be high. What might make sense is Hoffman+ for Drouin, as frightening as that sounds, Hoffman's time here in Ottawa might be short regardless of what the organization intends, since things soured during arbitration.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Is he?

This is my take on it, and it certainly doesn't help that Alan Walsh is his agent.  Maybe a change of environment fixes him, like it did for Turris.  Keep in mind that the price for Drouin will be high.  What might make sense is Hoffman+ for Drouin, as frightening as that sounds, Hoffman's time here in Ottawa might be short regardless of what the organization intends, since things soured during arbitration.

I suppose that's true, and if it looks like he isn't going to stick around then they need to move him for sure. Still, I think a big reason to want to trade for Drouin is that the Sens are weak on the left side after you get past Hoffman on the depth chart. Trading Hoffman for what would be a downgrade for at least a couple seasons is insanity.

Of course, once again, if Hoffman wants to bolt, he needs to be traded.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoffman is a Grade A bunghole. He's essentially a slightly worse Marty St. Louis. He has a massive chip on his shoulder and will now forever hold a grudge against our organization thanks to the arbitration hearing. If we can throw enough money at him on a long-term deal, maybe he'll take it (money talks), especially since he's still a RFA after this season. If he was going to be a UFA this summer, there's no doubt in my mind that he'd walk away from this team.

So the time to trade Hoffman is sometime before next season, while he's still a RFA...and Drouin would be a somewhat logical player to trade Hoffman for, as he can play LW too.

People can look at Hoffman with rose-coloured glasses, but there's no denying that it's been a rocky road here in Ottawa for him.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Is he?

This is my take on it, and it certainly doesn't help that Alan Walsh is his agent.  Maybe a change of environment fixes him, like it did for Turris.  Keep in mind that the price for Drouin will be high.  What might make sense is Hoffman+ for Drouin, as frightening as that sounds, Hoffman's time here in Ottawa might be short regardless of what the organization intends, since things soured during arbitration.

I suppose that's true, and if it looks like he isn't going to stick around then they need to move him for sure. Still, I think a big reason to want to trade for Drouin is that the Sens are weak on the left side after you get past Hoffman on the depth chart. Trading Hoffman for what would be a downgrade for at least a couple seasons is insanity.

Of course, once again, if Hoffman wants to bolt, he needs to be traded.

Hehe. "Bolt."

I don't see Hoffman wanting to get traded but I do 100 percent see us downgrading to save a few bucks. Bucks that will go to a crappy player like Ceci who will base his asking price on being a "Top-4" D-man.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:On an amusing note, Dreger said that the Sens could entice teams to take Greening by throwing in Cowen.  Laugh1

Well they'd need a 3rd/4th line winger to replace Drouin, so Greening fits the bill.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Hoffman is a Grade A bunghole.  He's essentially a slightly worse Marty St. Louis.  He has a massive chip on his shoulder and will now forever hold a grudge against our organization thanks to the arbitration hearing.  If we can throw enough money at him on a long-term deal, maybe he'll take it (money talks), especially since he's still a RFA after this season.  If he was going to be a UFA this summer, there's no doubt in my mind that he'd walk away from this team.  

So the time to trade Hoffman is sometime before next season, while he's still a RFA...and Drouin would be a somewhat logical player to trade Hoffman for, as he can play LW too.

People can look at Hoffman with rose-coloured glasses, but there's no denying that it's been a rocky road here in Ottawa for him.

It's been rocky, but it can be fixed. See Alfredsson's arbitration back in 2001. Got pretty ugly but we all know how the rest of the story went.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Hoffman is a Grade A bunghole.  He's essentially a slightly worse Marty St. Louis.  He has a massive chip on his shoulder and will now forever hold a grudge against our organization thanks to the arbitration hearing.  If we can throw enough money at him on a long-term deal, maybe he'll take it (money talks), especially since he's still a RFA after this season.  If he was going to be a UFA this summer, there's no doubt in my mind that he'd walk away from this team.  

It's been rocky, but it can be fixed. See Alfredsson's arbitration back in 2001.  Got pretty ugly but we all know how the rest of the story went.    

We'll see. Like I said, if Ottawa backs up the Brinks truck, all is forgiven...but I see management trying to lowball him again this summer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 46 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum