GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Am I Watching Right now?

+13
spader
Hoags
Vandelay
TheAvatar
Ev
Flo The Action
NEELY
PTFlea
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
tim1_2
wprager
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 40 ... 52  Next

Go down  Message [Page 29 of 52]

421What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:16 am

spader

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:Just finished Making a murderer on Netflix.
Fascinating documentary. I typed Steven on google and the first thing that came out was Steven Avery. Didn't know it was this popular.

Highly recommended. It's a thriller movie in real life and it spans 30 years.

The thing about documentaries is that whoever makes it controls what they show you:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/making-a-murderer-burning-questions-answered#.ht2lV4x5v

One of the chief critiques of the series from those with intimate knowledge of the case is that the filmmakers gloss over some of the less savory aspects of Avery’s criminal past in order to make him a more sympathetic figure. For example, the first episode briefly discusses an incident where 20-year-old Avery pleaded guilty to harming an animal. In the series, Avery is heard saying, “We were fooling around with the cat and I don’t know, they were kind of negging it on and I tossed him over the fire and he lit up. I was young and stupid.” In reality, Avery and another man pleaded no contest to pouring gasoline and oil on Avery’s cat and throwing it into a fire.

Just watched the first couple episodes of Making A Murderer.  So they're just getting to the Murder part...but man, that rape conviction was about corrupt and faulty as you can get.  

The cat incident, while a little bit relevant, really has very little to do with the murder.

We're on the fifth episode. It breaks my heart when his mom or young Brendan talk about what's going on. Man...what happened to these people shouldn't be allowed to happen to anyone ever.

And the cat thing is awful, but c'mon. That's something that was dealt with in the courts (according to the quote above). You don't repeatedly attack someone using the legal system when they plead no contest to a completely different crime. That was dealt with and really has no bearing on anything else in the case, especially when it occurs decades later.

422What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:52 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I've only watched the first three episodes. One of the main pieces of evidence in the case against Steve Avery is the fact that the car of the victim was found in the car junkyard of their family business (they own a vehicle salvage company). They live on the same property of the junkyard.

So we're to believe that this guy kills this woman, and then parks her car in his junkyard? I know the guy isn't the brightest, but who would murder someone and then leave the victim's car on their property? And the keys to the car in their house? None of it makes any sense. Anyway, I look forward to the rest of the episodes.

423What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:35 am

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I definitely believe he did it but I will save the thoughts until after everybody is finished

424What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:15 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not watching quite right now, but tonight's the night one of the best shows returns to TV. We had not even moved to Ottawa yet -- my wife got a job and moved into her brother's basement, and I was still working in Montreal, looking for work in Ottawa, and coming up to visit my wife on weekends. So there we were, sharing a single bed in a tiny room with a 9" B&W on a little corner shelf. The first episode we saw (i eventually saw the earlier ones in summer reruns) was "Squeeze" (the one that introduced you to liver-munching and ageless Eugene Tooms). We were hooked! Sure, it stayed around for too many seasons -- a victim of its own success and the studio's and network's greed -- but over all it was still one of the best things ever on television. I've been enjoying re-watching some of the marathon on Space (Chris Carter-picked episodes) and am really looking forward to tonight.

425What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:06 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Not watching quite right now, but tonight's the night one of the best shows returns to TV.  We had not even moved to Ottawa yet -- my wife got a job and moved into her brother's basement, and I was still working in Montreal, looking for work in Ottawa, and coming up to visit my wife on weekends.  So there we were, sharing a single bed in a tiny room with a 9" B&W on a little corner shelf.  The first episode we saw (i eventually saw the earlier ones in summer reruns) was "Squeeze" (the one that introduced you to liver-munching and ageless Eugene Tooms).  We were hooked!  Sure, it stayed around for too many seasons -- a victim of its own success and the studio's and network's greed -- but over all it was still one of the best things ever on television.  I've been enjoying re-watching some of the marathon on Space (Chris Carter-picked episodes) and am really looking forward to tonight.
That last season without David was terrible. Horrendous even.

426What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Won't argue. Carter had not planned out the mythology so there was no endgame. But it was still a great show.

427What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:29 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So how was the first Xfiles episode? I forgot to PVR it, so I'll be downloading it.

428What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:So how was the first Xfiles episode?  I forgot to PVR it, so I'll be downloading it.

It felt awkward. The old chemistry is not there, at least not yet. Having Joel McHale in this makes me feel like I'm watching a Community homage episode. I kept expecting Abed to pop in. Duchovny delivered his lines as if he was not really into it but was just happy he was getting paid. As a huge fan of the show, I have to say I really enjoyed re-watching some of the old classics in the marathon. "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" with the smoking alien in a cage saying "This is not happening" or Jesse Ventura and Alex Trebek as MIB. LOL!

The new episode, meh. The second part is tonight. I might re-watch the first one again since I nodded off a few times and I'm sure I missed stuff.

429What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:28 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, I wasn't the only one not entirely ecstatic with the first episode but, courage, it gets better:

For now, I suggest a little patience with tonight’s opening salvo. It gets better as you go along, and it’s plenty of good, nostalgic fun along the way.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/01/24/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-the-new-x-files/#3834d29d7950

Caution: there are some mild spoilers in that article as the reviewer saw the fist three episodes, but he discusses very little of the story line.

430What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:18 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Watched all of the Best picture nominated films for the next Oscars. The Big Short is probably my favourite, Spotlight not far behind (Mark Ruffalo is amazing in this one). The Revenant had excellent Cinematography but everything else was pretty meh. Mad MAx was also excellent. Not sure why the Hateful eight was not nominated, it was entertaining as Diddle. All in all great year.

On a completely unrelated topic, I just found out Netflix is gonna release the sequel to Crouching TIger and Hidden Dragon in a month.
Ahhhhh!

431What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:Watched all of the Best picture nominated films for the next Oscars. The Big Short is probably my favourite, Spotlight not far behind (Mark Ruffalo is amazing in this one). The Revenant had excellent Cinematography but everything else was pretty meh. Mad MAx was also excellent. Not sure why the Hateful eight was not nominated, it was entertaining as Diddle. All in all great year.

On a completely unrelated topic, I just found out Netflix is gonna release the sequel to Crouching TIger and Hidden Dragon in a month.
Ahhhhh!

Is that a wildlife documentary? I love those.

432What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sad news:

What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Captur14

433What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:53 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:I definitely believe he did it but I will save the thoughts until after everybody is finished

I keep flip-flopping my opinion on whether or not he might have done it. I have a couple episodes left, so then I'll come to a final opinion...as it stands now, it's very bizarre.

434What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

"You, Me and the Apocalypse" premieres tonight on NBC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/arts/television/review-you-me-and-the-apocalypse-looks-at-the-end.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

The show takes some getting used to, partly because it’s on generally unadventurous NBC and partly because it doesn’t fit neatly into any box. It’s a comedy, sort of, but it’s also full of moments of pathos, more of them the further into it you get. And sometimes it’s jarringly bizarre. A character in this show never knows when a falling body might land on the hood of her car or a menacing man might put on a dress. There’s a fair amount of “Fargo” in these end times.

It's produced in the UK and has already aired there. Stars Jenna Fischer ("Dunder-Mifflin this is Pam"), Megan Mullaly (Will&Grace, also Nick Offerman's on-screen-ex and off-screen current) and Rob Lowe as a priest.

435What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:"You, Me and the Apocalypse" premieres tonight on NBC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/arts/television/review-you-me-and-the-apocalypse-looks-at-the-end.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

The show takes some getting used to, partly because it’s on generally unadventurous NBC and partly because it doesn’t fit neatly into any box. It’s a comedy, sort of, but it’s also full of moments of pathos, more of them the further into it you get. And sometimes it’s jarringly bizarre. A character in this show never knows when a falling body might land on the hood of her car or a menacing man might put on a dress. There’s a fair amount of “Fargo” in these end times.

It's produced in the UK and has already aired there.  Stars Jenna Fischer ("Dunder-Mifflin this is Pam"), Megan Mullaly (Will&Grace, also Nick Offerman's on-screen-ex and off-screen current) and Rob Lowe as a priest.
Rob Lowe already makes it sit on the fence on wether it will be good or not. He's a toss up.
If you guys like comedies that are post apocalyptic then you should really listen the "The last Man on earth" it's a take off on the popular graphic novel Y the last man but they really ran in a different direction. It's pretty funny.

436What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I thought Last Man on Earth was canceled. Also I thought it wasn't as well received as this one was. I loved Rob Lowe in P&R. Literally!

437What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:02 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Man in the High Castle is quite good so far. Six epsiodes in.

438What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 29 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:33 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

dennycrane wrote:Man in the High Castle is quite good so far. Six epsiodes in.

I hadn't heard of this, but reading up on it, it sounds interesting. It takes place about 20 years after the Germans won WW2 if anyone else is interested.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 29 of 52]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 40 ... 52  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum