GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Sens @ Pens :: Game 2, Round 2 :: 7:30pm ET :: Fri. May 17th, 2013

+12
SensHulk
Hobiesens
Number Twenty Nine
sandysensfan
wprager
spader
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Hoags
tim1_2
Ev
shabbs
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 12]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Pageau's play has been astounding. No other word for it.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:I think Andersson needs to come clean to the coaching staff about his ankle. He's had two games in which he's been less than what is needed. The first two goals were very stoppable, and he was cheating on the second one, which could be due to his ankle. If he's not 100% then Lehner is the better option.

And if Karlsson plays like he did last night, maybe it's time to give him a rest, too.

And what has Michalek done to justify his ice time? 2 points on 21 shots on goal through 7 games. And that includes the two blowout games in the Montreal series. Kassian has 2 points as well. Neil has 3.

Lol Anderson's ankel is fine. Did you just forget about his MTL series?

Could be, but I was worried about his ankle. (sorry, couldn't resist)

The ankle that was supposed to be day-to-day and keep him out of the lineup for 2 games ended up costing him a third of the season. So it was a high-ankle sprain and those take a while to fully heal, especially for a goalie.

As for the Montreal series, it's quite possible that during one of those games he tweaked it. And he did let in a couple weak ones there, too.

Game 1, first goal (Bouorque) he was cheating off the right post again.

That goal in game 3 (1st home game) which kinda slid into the goal in slow motion, he seemed to do a bit of a stutter step on that foot (right foot). Could have tweaked something, or maybe the stutter was because it's not as strong as it needs to be.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:They played well in the last half. Friggin frustrating, but if they can channel that, they might win a game or two. Pageau's awesome.

Or four.

That was a nice building block game on the road, no less. A little home cookin' can turn the whole series around.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They scored 1 goal in the 1st game, 3 in the second. That means either 5 or 9 goals tomorrow, depending on whether I go with a "2 more" or "three times" approach.

Too bad hockey is not like math.

On the other hand, it's 100% true. They improved from game to game. And they haven't played a full 60 minutes yet (mind you, same can be said of the Penguins).

I was really encouraged last night how easily they were exiting their zone and going through neutral ice. The Penguins have some slow defensemen (Murray and Engelland come to mind, and Orpik isn't the quickest, either). If they stand you up at the blue line and you try to barrel through, good luck. But chip it in and chase it and there is no way those three mentioned above will be able to pivot and beat you to the end-boards.

By the way, nice hit by Benoit on Iginla that led to the 3rd goal. Looks like Iggy doesn't like being hit. Hit him and Malkin every chance you get. Get them off their game.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Anyhow, Anderson is starting, which I can live with -- but he's going to have a short leash. Please, no more goals in the first three minutes.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Michallica wrote:Yeah get Andy back. He should have some fire in his belly. Gotta stop allowing those early goals for starters.

And karlsson has gotta go on a heavy drinking binge to forget his terrible game.

He has to have a lot of help in the early going. Pens were skating circles around the Sens at the beginning of last game and for most of the first 2 periods..

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Breaking down the first goal from last night:

Neil goes for the hit on Niskanen in the corner, completely takes himself out of the play. While he takes an extra 2 seconds and risks a charging penalty, Crosby is winding up, going full speed by the time he hits the blue line, and receives the puck. Zibanejad is all by his lonesome in the neutral territory as Silfverberg has to contend with Adams coming off the ice as he tries to catch Crosby. I have to wonder if that is a set play -- Adams comes off crossing in front of Silfverberg slowing him down just a split-second, enough to ensure that Crosby just gets through his attempt at a check. Or maybe Silfverberg is just outclassed here. Regardless, Crosby is in full flight, and all three forwards are now behind him. Karlsson tries for a stick check at the blue line Facepalm I realize standing the forward up at the blueline with a hard check is not his game, but he could at least track him and slow him down a bit. Instead he misses the puck and the man and Crosby moves inside past him, with only Zibanejad trying to catch up. And still, that shot was not Andy's best.

What can we learn from that play?

1. When Crosby is winding up like that *he* is the most dangerous player on the ice, not Niskanen. If you want to hurt one of their defensemen, go for Letang (who is small and *has* injury history), or Orpik, just because if you don't hurt him he *will* hurt you. But regardless of any of that, you have to slow down Crosby in his own zone first.

2. Two rookies (Silfverberg and Zibanejad) are out against Crosby. I hope that doesn't happen too much in Ottawa.

3. I know Silfverberg is a rookie but he has to be harder on the man than that. Even with Adams crossing in front of him there was still time to compensate. It's like he misjudged Crosby's speed. Or maybe he wasn't prepared for what would certainly have been a fairly hard hit if they connected. I don't expect him to crush anyone but at least slow him down a little.

4. Stick checking is ok when you are tracking the guy along the boards, but not when you're standing flat-footed at the blue line. If you stand at the blue line, deliver a hit, not a stick check.

5. Crosby has a good shot, Andy, be ready for it next time.

This goal was a little over 3 minutes into the game. Not a "first shot in" type of goal, but still, you don't want to get scored on that early in the game.

One problem, how many hits do the Sens make on Crosby that they don`t get a penalty? Detroit smashed and banged on Toews most of the game.. clean hits.. no penalties. Sens do clean hits on Crosby they are in the box.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

sandysensfan wrote:
One problem, how many hits do the Sens make on Crosby that they don`t get a penalty? Detroit smashed and banged on Toews most of the game.. clean hits.. no penalties. Sens do clean hits on Crosby they are in the box.

Last game Crosby drew two penalties -- Turris for holding, and Conacher for high-sticking. In the first one, he didn't draw *any* penalties. I won't deny that Crosby is a chippy player who gets away with a lot because of his stature, but the stats (at least in the post-season) do not support what you are saying.

Also, unless you have a shot to take him out I would rather not try to hit him. Slow him down, contain him, maybe eat some garlic and breathe right into his face. Try to piss him off but not in a physical way. When you pay him physical he amps it up and plays harder.

Malkin, on the other hand, if you hit him repeatedly it takes him off his game and he is very quick to retaliate. I'd go after him again and again.

Also, Iginla appears to not like contact. Maybe he's playing injured, who knows. I never got to see him play much because of the late starts, but from what I'd seen before I didn't think he'd be the kind of player to shy away from contact. But he got tagged a couple of times already in this series. First time he got up quite slowly and looking up at the ref. Second time was Benoit's hit that led to the 3rd goal. He retaliated by sitting on Benoit for a few seconds -- should have been holding, frankly, but I'd be stupid to believe we'd ever get that call.

On defense, Letang has had injury issues in the past so I'd go after him, but only on dump-ins. If you try to hit him in open ice he's just as likely to go around you.

And some of their D are not the fastest out there, so chip and chase, then cycle the crap out of them. Murray can't block a shot if he's off to the side chasing the cycle.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

LeKing wrote:On a more positive note, Pageau is a monster. Looking every bit as good as in junior.

I just hope he doesn't turn into Regin

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

TheAvatar wrote:
LeKing wrote:On a more positive note, Pageau is a monster. Looking every bit as good as in junior.

I just hope he doesn't turn into Regin

Regin was all about the injuries

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum