GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY - Ottawa Senators @ Florida Panthers, 6PM, Sunday, March 4, 2012

+14
tim1_2
LeCaptain
sandysensfan
cash
Hoags
spader
Riprock
shabbs
Hobiesens
NEELY
Number Twenty Nine
PTFlea
Ev
wprager
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The scoring has dried up lately, which couldn't have been entirely unexpected. All it took was for Karlsson/Spezza to cool a little. The Turris/The Alfie combo hasn't produced much, and guys like Foligno, Greening, Condra, Smith, etc aren't generating much either. Again, not entirely unexpected.

Really, when you have Butler on your top line, obviously you're a little thin on scoring forwards.

I'm not sure entirely what will solve this problem...just need a breakout game with some slump-busters for some guys.

The schedule this week is tough...T-Bay, the Rags, and Buffalo. TB and Buffalo have been heating up, and are both desperate. We're gonna need to take at least a couple points out of these three games, and it won't be easy.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

LeKid wrote:
Big Ev wrote:so after seeing our wingers be terrible yet again, who here still doesn't want Zibanejad to come over and help us in the stretch drive?

Well there's a reason why this team was picked to be a bottom feeder and It started to show its colours since January. Greening is not a top 6 guy and Butler is not an NHL player.

Yeah the team's success has blinded people somewhat to what our roster actually looks like. We're extremely fortunate to be where we're at. This team isn't going to be more consistent without more NHL experience on the roster (almost the half the roster are rookies ) and just more talent in the top-6.

Riprock wrote:I'd put Parise ahead of Semin on the shopping list, but Semin would be a decent consolation prize. He does come with a lot of criticisms though, but he is a Sens killer, and as the ol' saying goes: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, (or sign them).

I just can't stand Semin, he'd be poison for the type of culture we're trying to create in the room. Whatever contract he'll sign I doubt he'll ever live up to it. I saw the type of negative influence Kovalev was, Semin would be more of the same and he'd piss off MacLean in no time.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Sens desperately lack and need a top line player. Parise, Nash would fit that description. If Parise ever made it to UFA he'd be the primary target since he'd only cost a contract, whereas Nash would require giving up assets.

And a decision about some of our fringe players will need to be made. If hey have any value I would be trying to package them in a deal.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think the price for Nash will be way too high, even in the off-season. Other teams will likely be willing to part with more than we will be. Also, don't forget that Nash has a NTC, and we weren't on his original list of teams he'd go to.

Agree with the sentiment on Semin. He is the exact type of player we need (sniper/winger), but doesn't have the attitude we need.

Parise would be the perfect fit on this team. The bidding war for Parise will be huge, and no one knows just how far Melnyk/Murray will be willing to go to sign this guy. 11 yrs x $7.5? 8 yrs x $8M? It could get silly.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

The price of Nash is ridiculous, even if he'd waive to come to Ottawa, we'd be gutting our entire prospect pool for him.

With the uncertaintly over the team's financial future and the tax break I can't help but wonder if Melnyk will spending a lot on salaries anytime soon. At least until things become more certain.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:
Big Ev wrote:so after seeing our wingers be terrible yet again, who here still doesn't want Zibanejad to come over and help us in the stretch drive?

He was not on the clear day roster. He cannot play in the playoffs; hence, ...

There is no clear day. That is only for AHL playoffs.
That was my thinking too, but AJ Jacubek says otherwise.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

cash wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:

Zibanejad was on our roster already so he is eligible. Don't know what AJ is talking about. The Rangers are planning on signing Chris Kreider, who is still in college, and using him in the playoffs.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:

Zibanejad was on our roster already so he is eligible. Don't know what AJ is talking about. The Rangers are planning on signing Chris Kreider, who is still in college, and using him in the playoffs.

^ Now that you definitely cannot do, for sure. Any player who isn't signed with the team, or claimed off of waivers, before the trade deadline is NOT eligible to play in the NHL playoffs. For sure.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

The Sens don't know what to do with Mika whose SEL season ends tomorrow.

Burn a year of his ELC or send him to Binghamton on an amateur tryout.

What is better for Mika.. NHL or AHL?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sandysensfan wrote:The Sens don't know what to do with Mika whose SEL season ends tomorrow.

If it were this year, probably AHL. I'd like to see some AHL success (or NHL pre-season success) before a shot in the NHL.

This time of year is pretty intense, not sure being thrown right into the fire would be the best strategy.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:

^ Now that you definitely cannot do, for sure. Any player who isn't signed with the team, or claimed off of waivers, before the trade deadline is NOT eligible to play in the NHL playoffs. For sure.

ah, I think I messed up. They just want him to play the rest of the regular season games.

Still, don't see how Zibanejad would not be eligible.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sandysensfan wrote:The Sens don't know what to do with Mika whose SEL season ends tomorrow.

What do you mean the Sens don't know what to do? also we've been discussing this for a while...

and no his season's not guaranteed to end tomorrow

edit: ah it's from Don Brennan. Figures..

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:

What do you mean the Sens don't know what to do? also we've been discussing this for a while...

and no his season's not guaranteed to end tomorrow

edit: ah it's from Don Brennan. Figures..

Brennan? You mean the Authority on All Things!

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I'd send him to the AHL, let him get more experience on NHL ice surface, what's the rush ?

I wouldn't burn the first year on his ELC either, it's essential to delay unrestricted free agency and that 2nd contract as much as possible.

Only worth it if the player can clearly contribute at the NHL level (Skinner, Stamkos etc.), otherwise they can develop elsewhere.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:

ah, I think I messed up. They just want him to play the rest of the regular season games.

Yeah, that one, I'm not sure of. If he were in Bingo, it'd be easy -- the answer would be, yes, he could play for us -- but the fact that he's in Sweden playing for an organization not affiliated with the NHL is rather exceptional.

For Sandy: there would be, btw, no "amateur contract" for Zibanejad; he's already signed on an ELC, and that allows him to play in the AHL or the NHL right now.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:

Yeah, that one, I'm not sure of. If he were in Bingo, it'd be easy -- the answer would be, yes, he could play for us -- but the fact that he's in Sweden playing for an organization not affiliated with the NHL is rather exceptional.

For Sandy: there would be, btw, no "amateur contract" for Zibanejad; he's already signed on an ELC, and that allows him to play in the AHL or the NHL right now.

to be fair she was just getting it from the Sun. It was Garrioch, not Brennan (my bad).

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:

to be fair she was just getting it from the Sun. It was Garrioch, not Brennan (my bad).

Where do these clowns get this Dung from? Why would a player signed to an ELC for the next 2-3 years need to sign an amateur contract to play in either the AHL or the NHL? Seriously, that's so bush league coming from "professional" reporters.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Might as well bring him in. Mac has shown he'll bench guys for callups, maybe Z gets some games in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum