GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY - Ottawa Senators @ Florida Panthers, 6PM, Sunday, March 4, 2012

+14
tim1_2
LeCaptain
sandysensfan
cash
Hoags
spader
Riprock
shabbs
Hobiesens
NEELY
Number Twenty Nine
PTFlea
Ev
wprager
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 10]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:SteffeG said that playoff games will count toward ELC, so if he plays any games in the NHL his ELC will kick in.

That said, what have we got to lose? Bring him in to play top-six minutes in Bingo. If he lights it up then bring him up for the playoff push and the post-season. A year off his ELC versus experience playing in the post-season? That's an easy one, isn't it?

Word up, homey. Doesn't seem like there's any downside to playing him in Bingo? I doubt he'd "light it up", but if he did, it'd be great to bring in a confident, scoring winger for the playoffs.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Him and Petersson would do well together.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Michallica wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Michallica wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:

Makes sense to me... question... don't know if it has been answered or not.. but if Mika plays in Bingo does that affect his ELC? If it does.. he might as well play in Ottawa.

Nope. If Zibanejad plays 10 games in the NHL, then his ELC kicks in at year one, and will end on 30 June 2014. If he plays anywhere else other than the NHL, it has no bearing on his ELC -- without playing those 10 games in the NHL, his contract "slides", making next year (2012-13) year 1 of his contract and the end-date of his contract 30 June 2015.

But those are only regular season games if I recall. He could technically have played his 9 regular season games, then play the rest of the season in bingo, and play NHL games only in the playoffs....?

I can't imagine why NHL regular season games would could as "games played in the NHL" and so against his contract, whereas NHL playoff games wouldn't count as "games played in the NHL" and so not count against his contract.

I can't cite the CBA passage (if there is one on this subject) in defence of this, but common sense tells us that an NHL game is an NHL game is an NHL game.

I, for one, wholly expect Zibanejad to go to Bingo once his team's season is done in Sweden. From there, his play will determine if he plays in the NHL this year -- if he's ripping it up, we probably call him up; if he's not, we probably leave him there and save that extra year of his contract.

Not sure, but perhaps it has something to do with not getting paid for the playoffs whereas regular season, you do get paid? Same way as P.K. Subban played in the playoffs for the Habs yet the next season he was still classified as a 'rookie'.

You're a rookie until you've played 20 games (not the same term as for ELC). I don't think the Habs lasted 20 games.

Only regular season games though. And it's 26 games.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, to nit-pick, 25, since I said 20 (the 26th game or, in my case, the 21st game would make him ineligible). Rule's here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=24931

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league.

Now, what constitutes a "major professional league"? What if he played a year in MLB? Does the SEL or KHL count?

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:
Michallica wrote:Not sure, but perhaps it has something to do with not getting paid for the playoffs whereas regular season, you do get paid? Same way as P.K. Subban played in the playoffs for the Habs yet the next season he was still classified as a 'rookie'.

^ That last point is a pretty common occurrence. If you come into a year having played less than X amount of games (I think it's 40), then you are automatically 'a rookie' (i.e., eligible to win the Calder).

The money is a good point, tho'. I just tend to think that the contrary (i.e., that a playoff game would count towards a player's games played), given that I don't ever recall seeing 1) a guy who played his 9 games and then got back sent down and then 2) get called up to play in the playoffs.

25 games, at least according to this page.

Funny story: Ken Dryden won his first Stanley Cup, and Conn Smythe Trophy as playoffs MVP, after having only played 6 games at the end of the season, so he was still eligible for the Calder the next season, and won it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum