GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators vs Phoenix Coyotes, January 24th, 9:00

+19
LeCaptain
sandysensfan
sens4win
Bramlet07
Hobiesens
wprager
Flo The Action
NEELY
Hoags
cash
Ev
Number Twenty Nine
KidKarlsson
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SensHulk
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

LeKid wrote:A top 6 to play with Spezza is gonna cost something we don't want to pay.

Then we don't pay it - simple as that. Murray has a lot of work to do for sure in terms of burning up the phone lines trying to find the best deal on a guy who can score. It won't be easy - and I've thought for a while that it won't happen, which is 100% fine with me personally. We have the nucleus of a very solid scoring team with options from Bingo, I'd rather put Petersson in a position to succeed, I'd rather see Daugavins get some time, I'd rather see Da Costa get a chance on wing (still too weak though IMO), Hoffman. Or again, go back to the Greening - Spezza - Michalek, Condra - Turris - Alfredsson.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Meh, depends who it is. If it's a Cullen type deal again, you do it.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Holy Diddle Sportsnet please fire Dean Broan and Denis Potvin. Classless and annoying those 2 are.
Ironic coming from you. Nod

But I'm not paid to broadcast to thousands of people in a public forum.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yes, a top-6 guy will mean we're giving up something meaningful. It's likely Murray rides it out a little longer with the current group to see if they get back on the right track and then that eases the pressure to make a deal. Our schedule is favourable for the rest of the year...which is great news.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Meh, depends who it is. If it's a Cullen type deal again, you do it.

2nd rounder next year?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

LeKid wrote:
NEELY wrote:Meh, depends who it is. If it's a Cullen type deal again, you do it.

2nd rounder next year?

Yeah, I don't think I really wanna do that...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'd make a deal for Penner. Expiring contract, and unloading him for "futures" gives LA flexibility to add bigger pieces if they wanted.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:I'd make a deal for Penner. Expiring contract, and unloading him for "futures" gives LA flexibility to add bigger pieces if they wanted.

I think Penner would be about Plan H for Ottawa. There's better options, just depends on the asking price.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Riprock wrote:I'd make a deal for Penner. Expiring contract, and unloading him for "futures" gives LA flexibility to add bigger pieces if they wanted.

By futures, why do you mean?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:Petersson def deserves a shot going forward.

Someone has a huge opportunity to say the least, whether it's Petersson, Hoffman (not ready), Da Costa on the wing, someone can step up offensively now before Murray goes out of organization.

I agree with you that Petersson or Da Costa could be a potential solution, I don't think they are the ideal solution for making a playoff push down the stretch. A "rental" top-6 forward is the best bet for THIS year. Obviously, the NHL experience for Petersson or Da Costa would be beneficial to their development, but that is probably more of a "last year" solution, as there is a playoff spot on the line now, and there's not a lot of room for error.

I assume there is some sort of unofficial (or maybe official) trade moratorium for the next few days, but maybe we'll see some action early next week?

I'm not sure there's any kind of moratorium right now, but I can see GMs not wanting to announce trades that may even involved an all-star player right now.

Unfortunately I think you guys are right, I think the Sens are gonna need a top 6 guy to play with Spezza. In a perfect world we'd have Michalek - Turris - Alfredsson and then Foligno - Spezza - Greening, but it doesn't appear to be working in terms of production. I think we could always go back to the Greening - Spezza - Michalek and Foligno/Condra - Turris - Alfredsson top two lines, but when you break it down it would be much better to get Greening down with Z.Smith for now and import someone to score.

I think we may have seen Butler play one of his last games for a while. It's not that he's awful at the game of hockey, but he's supposed to be a goal-scorer and it's clear that there's a disconnect there. I would guess that Petersson will get a shot when we come back from the break - and if he doesn't do it, then we'll have to acquire someone. The cheaper the better please...someone mentioned Huselius, I've always liked him if he's healthy. He makes a lot of $$ for the rest of this year, maybe he'll come a bit cheaper.

Also, watching Fat Penner play the other day, I think he could be fine here for the rest of the year - but I don't want to give up much for him, so that's likely out as well.

Honestly, I think we have enough to make top-six if Greening is one of those players. Butler just wasn't cutting it last night, and let's not skirt the issue, but Michalek is a streaky player and right now he is on a cold streak. I also expected a bit more jump from Turris coming back to Phoenix. Just a little more.

Spezza/Turris down the middle, Alfie/Michalek and Foligno/Greening on the wings is pretty decent. Who could we add at the deadline (or earlier)? Greening should be playing on the third line on a contending team, which we are not at this point. Does an upgrade (e.g. Ruutu) make us a contender? I don't think so as we have defense that (to borrow from Two Towers) has seen too man winters, or too few. But who knows. If the Murrays decide that we can make hay with a couple of upgrades, then why not. Move Greening out of the top six and replace him with Ruutu, then bring up Lehner as backup if needed (probably would have to waive Auld). Parrish can provide depth and veteran experience up front; more depth from Petersson, Butler, DaCosta, Hoffman. Depth on D from Borowiecki and Gryba.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cullen also shouldn't cost too much.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Imagine what he would be like up here in the spring, when the sap is flowing. Maple Syrup-Powered Penner FTW!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Someone has a huge opportunity to say the least, whether it's Petersson, Hoffman (not ready), Da Costa on the wing, someone can step up offensively now before Murray goes out of organization.

I agree with you that Petersson or Da Costa could be a potential solution, I don't think they are the ideal solution for making a playoff push down the stretch. A "rental" top-6 forward is the best bet for THIS year. Obviously, the NHL experience for Petersson or Da Costa would be beneficial to their development, but that is probably more of a "last year" solution, as there is a playoff spot on the line now, and there's not a lot of room for error.

I assume there is some sort of unofficial (or maybe official) trade moratorium for the next few days, but maybe we'll see some action early next week?

I'm not sure there's any kind of moratorium right now, but I can see GMs not wanting to announce trades that may even involved an all-star player right now.

Unfortunately I think you guys are right, I think the Sens are gonna need a top 6 guy to play with Spezza. In a perfect world we'd have Michalek - Turris - Alfredsson and then Foligno - Spezza - Greening, but it doesn't appear to be working in terms of production. I think we could always go back to the Greening - Spezza - Michalek and Foligno/Condra - Turris - Alfredsson top two lines, but when you break it down it would be much better to get Greening down with Z.Smith for now and import someone to score.

I think we may have seen Butler play one of his last games for a while. It's not that he's awful at the game of hockey, but he's supposed to be a goal-scorer and it's clear that there's a disconnect there. I would guess that Petersson will get a shot when we come back from the break - and if he doesn't do it, then we'll have to acquire someone. The cheaper the better please...someone mentioned Huselius, I've always liked him if he's healthy. He makes a lot of $$ for the rest of this year, maybe he'll come a bit cheaper.

Also, watching Fat Penner play the other day, I think he could be fine here for the rest of the year - but I don't want to give up much for him, so that's likely out as well.

Honestly, I think we have enough to make top-six if Greening is one of those players. Butler just wasn't cutting it last night, and let's not skirt the issue, but Michalek is a streaky player and right now he is on a cold streak. I also expected a bit more jump from Turris coming back to Phoenix. Just a little more.

Spezza/Turris down the middle, Alfie/Michalek and Foligno/Greening on the wings is pretty decent. Who could we add at the deadline (or earlier)? Greening should be playing on the third line on a contending team, which we are not at this point. Does an upgrade (e.g. Ruutu) make us a contender? I don't think so as we have defense that (to borrow from Two Towers) has seen too man winters, or too few. But who knows. If the Murrays decide that we can make hay with a couple of upgrades, then why not. Move Greening out of the top six and replace him with Ruutu, then bring up Lehner as backup if needed (probably would have to waive Auld). Parrish can provide depth and veteran experience up front; more depth from Petersson, Butler, DaCosta, Hoffman. Depth on D from Borowiecki and Gryba.

I dunno man...you need to get into the playoffs, then all bets are off - especially this year. The Bruins and Rangers should be the last 2 standing, but if you think you can make your team better - and you're 99% positive they'll make the playoffs by the deadline, I think you need to at least consider putting someone on LW other than Greening and moving him down to the 3rd line. One game at a time in the POs, one series at a time and weird things can happen.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Go Timmy Peel!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

I dunno man...you need to get into the playoffs, then all bets are off - especially this year. The Bruins and Rangers should be the last 2 standing, but if you think you can make your team better - and you're 99% positive they'll make the playoffs by the deadline, I think you need to at least consider putting someone on LW other than Greening and moving him down to the 3rd line. One game at a time in the POs, one series at a time and weird things can happen.

If you read carefully what I said, I didn't think we are one top-six forward away from being competitive. And by competitive I meant a legit chance at getting out of the East. Unless that top-six is elite, do you really think we are there? Take a Matt Cullen or Tuomo Ruutu -- are they enough of an upgrade over Greening (plus Greening as an upgrade over, say, Butler playing on the third/fourth line) to make us legitimate threat to get past Boston or the Rangers?

I am not against those kinds of players because they should not cost an arm and a leg. I'll give up a 2nd rounder, no problem, even unsigned. We've got loads of prospects right now other than in goal, and you don't need to spend a high pick on a goalie -- you just have to get lucky. Our 1st should get us a good D prospect.

Anyhow, if it looks like I'm fence sitting, I am, a bit.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Go Timmy Peel!

Timmy Peel is to the Senator's opponents as Warrior is to Hogan

Ottawa Senators vs Phoenix Coyotes, January 24th, 9:00 - Page 7 The-hulkster-power-level

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:Last time we were in a playoff position at this time of year I remember how horrible they were after the All Star Break. There was talk of getting home ice advantage instead we got 5th and bounced by the Pens in the 1st round.

Hope they rest and come out strong again after the break.

Is that the series there was no Alfie, Fisher or Kelly?

This is a different team. They looked really tired, out of sync and not focused at least in the 1st period. You can't really blame them... 4 games in 6 nights on that West Coast trip is a lot of hockey..

When some of us looked at that January schedule we were trying to determine how they would win even 2 games and they won 8 with 4 losses & 1 OT loss. That is great for this team.

February is a more favourable schedule BUT they have to take advantage of that.

I've been watching hockey for a very long time and I have never, ever seen such blatant bias in the last 3 games than I have seen in 40 yrs... that's not a joke either. That was a disgusting display, overall, of being totally unfair to one team in a game.

If the NHL let's this type of action to continue.. then I really, really question the integrity of this league.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

sandysensfan wrote:
Hoags wrote:Last time we were in a playoff position at this time of year I remember how horrible they were after the All Star Break. There was talk of getting home ice advantage instead we got 5th and bounced by the Pens in the 1st round.

Hope they rest and come out strong again after the break.

Is that the series there was no Alfie, Fisher or Kelly?

This is a different team. They looked really tired, out of sync and not focused at least in the 1st period. You can't really blame them... 4 games in 6 nights on that West Coast trip is a lot of hockey..

When some of us looked at that January schedule we were trying to determine how they would win even 2 games and they won 8 with 4 losses & 1 OT loss. That is great for this team.

February is a more favourable schedule BUT they have to take advantage of that.

I've been watching hockey for a very long time and I have never, ever seen such blatant bias in the last 3 games than I have seen in 40 yrs... that's not a joke either. That was a disgusting display, overall, of being totally unfair to one team in a game.

If the NHL let's this type of action to continue.. then I really, really question the integrity of this league.

I'm trying to remember that year as well. Was that the year we started 15-2? If so, that Cussing team was so lazy it made me want to puke. This team is 100% different in its work ethic and coaching.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum