GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What (if anything) are the Sens doing tomorrow?

+16
sandysensfan
rooneypoo
SDH89
Flo The Action
asq2
dennycrane
22_4_ever
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
The Silfer Server
Number Twenty Nine
Riprock
spader
wprager
TheAvatar
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

22_4_ever wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I completely forgot about Regin, actually.

Like I said, I doubt they sign anyone like Talbot, it was just a thought. His character alone makes it worth it, IMO. Big reason why the Pens won a Cup already. Helped them rebuild nicely.

Um...

the rebuild was done because they sucked...

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury ,Staal...

Talbot was a character guy, but no more so than Cooke, Dupuis, Orpik Gonchar...

This team is years away from being at a contending level..they don't need 3rd liners..then need a #2, and I don't argue with you at all about his character, but that;s not what we need.

As for Zib..my point is you're willing to let him grow and have issues as a #2 Center, which is probably one of the top 4 or 5 most important positions on a team behind the #1 C, Goalie, and top 2 dmen.

If you're willing to let him grow, then you should be prepared for younger guys to grow in a #3 spot. It's a complete waste to spend any money on a guy like Talbot at this point in the organizations existance...

I think the bolded statement describes ZSmith perfectly. He's young, he has more offensive talent than CC was willing to admit, and he deserves a shot at the 3-hole, imo.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I completely forgot about Regin, actually.

Like I said, I doubt they sign anyone like Talbot, it was just a thought. His character alone makes it worth it, IMO. Big reason why the Pens won a Cup already. Helped them rebuild nicely.

Um...

the rebuild was done because they sucked...

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury ,Staal...

Talbot was a character guy, but no more so than Cooke, Dupuis, Orpik Gonchar...

lol @ Cooke being a character guy. You're also underestimating Talbot, and I don't think you watched a lot of Penguins hockey over the years (like I have).

Anyway, I don't care if you disagree with me, but I don't see why you're acting like a jerk over it.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

we should have a loom at fleischmann even with the injuries, if he comes back healthy he's a steal. At this point we're able to make that sort of decisions.
maybe they go with eric belanger...

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

I'd be surprised if we sign anyone tomorrow - including our backup. I think Murray will just sit back and maybe pick up some guys later on once the prices have come down. This is the first time in forever that I'm not even going to tune into free agent "frenzy".

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'll look into it tomorrow but only because i'm hoping to see certain players end up somwhere. Like B Richards, if hetoronto i'd be happy. out of all the teams that are said to be looking LA would be great especially with the other richards on board they'd have the sickest 1,2,3 in the league. Buffalo would be nice even if they are conference rivals just for the fact that they have die hard fans that deserve to see their team finally in the hands of a willing owner that can make things happen.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

from TSN:

Fleischman is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent and for the most part has flown under the radar because of poor health. However, source say the talented forward, whose season was ended in Colorado with a blood clot, has been given a clean bill of health from doctors.

Fleischman is on medication now that prevents the clotting from happening again and has been assured the problem won't return as long as he remains on the meds.

Fleischman earned $2.6 million last year and could be a solid offensive add for a team willing to invest the time into researching his status in the hours leading up to the opening of the free agent market.

well that clears it up for me... we're do we get nice stationary for a contract offer...

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:
lol @ Cooke being a character guy. You're also underestimating Talbot, and I don't think you watched a lot of Penguins hockey over the years (like I have).

Anyway, I don't care if you disagree with me, but I don't see why you're acting like a jerk over it.

Ok I'll bite

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but like many posts on the internet it's all about how the reader interprets it.

Here was you're quote

"He would be on my third line and Smith would be on the 4th. Smith is still a rookie, basically, so I don't think he's ready for third line shut-down minutes like a Talbot. He'd be the 4th line fighter, and he'd play with his fellow Bingo buddies. "

That to me implies that Z. Smith could be a 3rd line C one day but isn't ready for it. In the same post you slot Zib in as the 2nd line C. Logic would say that if you're prepared to deal with Zibby as the 2nd line C and all the growing pains he'll have as a rookie especially considering the importance of the position that you'd also be willing to let a much more experienced player run with the role he's been groomed for.

In stead you want to waste money on a guy who is much older and in the twilight of his career.

Now as far as watching hockey, you'd be the jerk to imply from your post that you watch more penguins hockey than anyone else here. Get your head out of your Donkey, because aside from 1 or 2 major contributors here you're no better or worse than the rest of us. My OPINION is it's a waste of money to spend it on Talbot, when this team clearly needs a 2nd line C for the next couple of years, but your OPINION is that they should. Neither can be wrong, and I've never disagreed with your stance on Talbot's talent.

Oh and Yes, if you look back at those championship teams Pittsburgh had, Cooke was a character guy. He crosses the line all the time, but for those couple of years, they had him on a pretty tight leash and he was one of the reasons they won.

My god, you are full of yourself aren't you.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Facepalm

Big Ev wrote:"Spending money"? Talbot will not fetch a lot, and who cares, they are load in cap space.

What (if anything) are the Sens doing tomorrow? - Page 3 306-melnyk

Big Ev wrote:This "letting the kids" develop sentiment is odd, when really the only "kid" we would have on the team is Zibanejad.

Cowen, Dundblad, Butler, Greening, Condra, Filatov. I know they seem old to you, but in terms of life and NHL they are kids.

Big Ev wrote:Having a veteran like Talbot will help all the "kids" out more than another "kid" anyway.

Alfredsson, Gonchar, Phillips, Neil, Spezza , Anderson -- we have plenty of veteran leadership on the back-end, in the top-six and in the bottom-six. I just don't see how adding a 3rd liner will help anyone at this point. You're just taking a lineup spot away from a prospect.

Big Ev wrote:People underestimate what a veteran presence will do for the forward corps. Just ask the Oilers.

Horcoff, Comrie, Visnovsky, Moreau, Souray, Pisani, Dtaios, Strudwick, Khabibulin, McIntyre. They had plenty of veterans in 2009 and got the #1 overall. They got a bit younger in 2010 but still had Khabibulin, Strudwick, Horcoff, McIntyre, Vandemeer, Giroux. Just going by age, here. They had plenty more players with 5+ years in the league. Problem was not so much lack of veteran leadership as it was lack of talent, wrong leadership (Khabibulin and his DUI conviction) and possibly continuity (Sens have 4 players with 10 years' with the club returning in 2011/12, counting the lockout year).

Big Ev wrote:I worry for this team if Zack Smith is the third liner.

You worry too much Laughing3

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

22_4_ever wrote:My god, you are full of yourself aren't you.

That's probably why he said you were being a jerk. It's one thing to have a good solid argument, but that's a little harsh IMO.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:My god, you are full of yourself aren't you.

That's probably why he said you were being a jerk. It's one thing to have a good solid argument, but that's a little harsh IMO.

Thank you TipHat

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I'm actually (shrug!) in agreement with big Ev. Talbot has many positive intangibles going for him. Living in the city, I see what this guy brought to the Pens.

Talbot > Smith
Talbot > Ruutu
Talbot > Kelly

and no more cranky locker room.

ChikaChikaChee!

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:

Oh really, you're not trying to be a jerk? I have no time for you.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I'm actually (shrug!) in agreement with big Ev. Talbot has many positive intangibles going for him. Living in the city, I see what this guy brought to the Pens.

Talbot > Smith
Talbot > Ruutu
Talbot > Kelly

and no more cranky locker room.

ChikaChikaChee!

I'm not going to argue with any of the above (whether I agree or disagree is not the point). The point was that *this team* does not need Talbot. Zibanejad was picked at #6 to be our 2nd line center, possibly replacing Spezza as the #1 down the line. He is not ready to be a #2 center for a contending team, but that's not where we are now. Similarly, for Smith, he is expected to be our 3rd line cetner to provide speed, toughness, some scoring, and good defensive game. I's actually argue that Smith is ready for a 3rd line role on a contending team (but that's primarily because a 3rd liner on a contending team is not expected to do all that much). He is better than Schubert was, and Schubert was a 4th liner on a contending team, which puts Smith in the 3rd line category.

Now, this is not a contending team, so we probably need production from the 3rd line, and if you suspect that this team is 1-2 players away from being a contender then, yes, you bring in a guy like Talbot to provide that little extra just to get you to the 2nd round. As it stands now, I don't think we are that team. If we make the playoffs, though, I'd like Smith to be there to try and get us to the 2nd round. This guy just won a championship and played under a ton of pressure in the 1st, 2nd and 4th rounds. Winning round 1 with 3 consecutive OT games, including a penalty shot in double OT? I realize it wasn't the NHL, but so what? They learned *what* it takes to win when 2/3 of your defense is not in the lineup. The effort level isn't really any different in the NHL -- the skill level is higher, but then you are playing with higher-skilled players.

Sorry if I went on a bit of a tangent, but I think the best the Sens can do now is to let their kids develop alongside the leaders currently in the dressing room. Bringing in more veteran presence would serve only to dilute that leadership wile taking away a spot from one of the prospects.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:

Oh really, you're not trying to be a jerk? I have no time for you.

Sure you do! You just replied to him. Smile

OK, let's stop the name calling (unless we are talking about Burke, Milbury, Bettman, McGuire, etc.) Let's stick to hockey talk.

And the occasional discussion of little-known Franco-Italian films from last century. My dad was a big "Fernandel" fan so he made me watch "The Law is the Law". It was pretty good, actually.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Talbot makes sense for a team challenging for the cup, but not so much for a rebuilding team. His true value has always been his performance in the playoffs, both on and off the ice. In that sense, it's not a good fit.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:"Spending money"? Talbot will not fetch a lot, and who cares, they are load in cap space.

This "letting the kids" develop sentiment is odd, when really the only "kid" we would have on the team is Zibanejad.

Having a veteran like Talbot will help all the "kids" out more than another "kid" anyway.

People underestimate what a veteran presence will do for the forward corps. Just ask the Oilers.

I worry for this team if Zack Smith is the third liner.

Problem is ... there could be a lot of teams in on Talbot. That ups the price in a bidding war...

Sens need a backup goaltender and a 2nd line centre.

I think they will try for the goaltender on July 1 -- and wait it out for the centre. They don't want to sign long-term..with Zibby probably in the lineup in 1 yr.. they don't want to spend long term.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The only move I want to see from the Sens today is a trade involving Kuba.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Diddle Burke!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum