GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What (if anything) are the Sens doing tomorrow?

+16
sandysensfan
rooneypoo
SDH89
Flo The Action
asq2
dennycrane
22_4_ever
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
The Silfer Server
Number Twenty Nine
Riprock
spader
wprager
TheAvatar
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:-Sign Alex Auld

-Sign Tyler Kennedy or Max Talbot

Done.

Sold!

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:-Sign Alex Auld

-Sign Tyler Kennedy or Max Talbot

Done.

Talbot?

You already have him on the team in Zach Smith..why waste money and term on a guy you have 2 or 3 of in the organization that are younger and cheaper. If you're going after a 2nd line C can we please get a guy who can score. We've already had the defensive aware, hard to play against??? C in Fisher...get a damn scorer or guy who generates Offense by dishing. Not some guy who is a hard nosed C. Talbot doesn't do anything for us.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

^Agree.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Talbot is a better player and more proven than Zack Smith. He's a leader, has great character, and can score some clutch goals when needed. Don't just look at the stats, he's a solid player all around, brings a lot of intangibles.

He would be on my third line and Smith would be on the 4th. Smith is still a rookie, basically, so I don't think he's ready for third line shut-down minutes like a Talbot. He'd be the 4th line fighter, and he'd play with his fellow Bingo buddies.

My lines would be something like:

Filatov-Spezza-Michalek
Alfredsson-Zibanejad-Butler
Foligno-Talbot-Neil
Greening-Smith-Condra

I really like those lines. The 4th line also wouldn't be a normal 4th line, they would get as many minutes at the third line.

I would love a Talbot signing if they feel Zibanejad will be ready this season to play a 2nd line role.

I also think he won't sign here though.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think Murray will actually do something like that though. I think it'll be someone like Upshall, we know he wanted Brouwer, so he'll looking for some rough and tumble dudes. It certainly doesn't appear it'll be anyone flashy at all, but we've all sat here and guessed wrong with him before.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Talbot is a better player and more proven than Zack Smith. He's a leader, has great character, and can score some clutch goals when needed. Don't just look at the stats, he's a solid player all around, brings a lot of intangibles.
I really like those lines. The 4th line also wouldn't be a normal 4th line, they would get as many minutes at the third line.

I would love a Talbot signing if they feel Zibanejad will be ready this season to play a 2nd line role.

I also think he won't sign here though.

I feel as if we have a ton of these kind of guys and very precious little skill. Talbot's clutch for a team that's a player away from a Cup, but for a team that'll be lucky to score 200 goals again, I'm really not sure if he's the guy to go after.

I appreciate the other side of the argument that we'll have to build a fortress around Anderson with good D from all positions - something he's noted for, but still would be left shaking me head if it happened.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Max Talbot os just one of those guys that everybody would love to have on their team. Makes everyone in the room happy and upbeat. A hard worker too.

You're not signing him for skill, we still have a pretty big need for a true third line centre IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You left Regin off your lineup. He had a rough year statistically last year, but come on...

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Ok..let's be honest..You're willing to live with the growing pains of Zibby as a #2 center but want to spend cap money on a proven 3rd line winger...

Really?

Save the money and let the kids develop. If you're going to spend money do it on a #2 center, not a guy who you're going to give 3rd line minutes to...

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

"Spending money"? Talbot will not fetch a lot, and who cares, they are load in cap space.

This "letting the kids" develop sentiment is odd, when really the only "kid" we would have on the team is Zibanejad.

Having a veteran like Talbot will help all the "kids" out more than another "kid" anyway.

People underestimate what a veteran presence will do for the forward corps. Just ask the Oilers.

I worry for this team if Zack Smith is the third liner.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Depends on the deal, it squeezes away a roster spot from someone - probably Regin, and I'd rather see him develop. He had a bad year last year, but he's got size and talent.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I completely forgot about Regin, actually.

Like I said, I doubt they sign anyone like Talbot, it was just a thought. His character alone makes it worth it, IMO. Big reason why the Pens won a Cup already. Helped them rebuild nicely.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Hopefully they do nothing tomorrow. Out of necessity they will sign a top-9 forward and a goalie at some point. The best thing would be to let the new core of this team begin to gel facing fresh NHL teams that play their #1 goalies as opposed to the tired teams and #2 goalies that were faced in March.

This will guarantee a more interesting season but also a high draft position as they look towards the '12-'13 season.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I'd be down for a hairless goalie tandem.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:I completely forgot about Regin, actually.

Like I said, I doubt they sign anyone like Talbot, it was just a thought. His character alone makes it worth it, IMO. Big reason why the Pens won a Cup already. Helped them rebuild nicely.

Um...

the rebuild was done because they sucked...

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury ,Staal...

Talbot was a character guy, but no more so than Cooke, Dupuis, Orpik Gonchar...

This team is years away from being at a contending level..they don't need 3rd liners..then need a #2, and I don't argue with you at all about his character, but that;s not what we need.

As for Zib..my point is you're willing to let him grow and have issues as a #2 Center, which is probably one of the top 4 or 5 most important positions on a team behind the #1 C, Goalie, and top 2 dmen.

If you're willing to let him grow, then you should be prepared for younger guys to grow in a #3 spot. It's a complete waste to spend any money on a guy like Talbot at this point in the organizations existance...

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

22_4_ever wrote:

Um...

This team is years away from being at a contending level..they don't need 3rd liners..then need a #2, and I don't argue with you at all about his character, but that;s not what we need.

As for Zib..my point is you're willing to let him grow and have issues as a #2 Center, which is probably one of the top 4 or 5 most important positions on a team behind the #1 C, Goalie, and top 2 dmen.

If you're willing to let him grow, then you should be prepared for younger guys to grow in a #3 spot. It's a complete waste to spend any money on a guy like Talbot at this point in the organizations existance...

I think the bolded statement describes ZSmith perfectly. He's young, he has more offensive talent than CC was willing to admit, and he deserves a shot at the 3-hole, imo.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:

Um...

lol @ Cooke being a character guy. You're also underestimating Talbot, and I don't think you watched a lot of Penguins hockey over the years (like I have).

Anyway, I don't care if you disagree with me, but I don't see why you're acting like a jerk over it.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

we should have a loom at fleischmann even with the injuries, if he comes back healthy he's a steal. At this point we're able to make that sort of decisions.
maybe they go with eric belanger...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum