GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phillips re-signs

+19
stempniaksen
Hoags
rooneypoo
The Silfer Server
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
Flo The Action
spader
asq2
tim1_2
SDH89
NEELY
Ev
LeCaptain
dennycrane
PTFlea
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

136Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:I think Spez just summed it up nicely. A good goaltender changes the way a team plays and can make a coach look a lot better than he actually is. A bad goalie can make a good coach look a lot worse than he is.

That doesn't change the way the coach performs... the coach is not performing in this case, only looking better by comparison. A good head coach is not going to change the way a goalie performs... the goalie and his training can only influence that. From there, the responsibility also goes toward the quality of players infront of him.

NJ has "the best goalie in NHL history" on their team and changing their coach turned their season around.

137Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:50 pm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:
NJ has "the best goalie in NHL history" on their team and changing their coach turned their season around.

MacLean was using the wrong system for NJ's roster.

It's a case of forcing the coach to adapt his system to the team he has vs. forcing the team to adapt to the coach's system.

The second one doesn't work too well we've seen.

138Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Dash wrote:
NEELY wrote:I think Spez just summed it up nicely. A good goaltender changes the way a team plays and can make a coach look a lot better than he actually is. A bad goalie can make a good coach look a lot worse than he is.

That doesn't change the way the coach performs... the coach is not performing in this case, only looking better by comparison. A good head coach is not going to change the way a goalie performs... the goalie and his training can only influence that. From there, the responsibility also goes toward the quality of players infront of him.

He was injured for a huge portion of the season. Brodeur hasn't been much of a factor this year.

139Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Future Captain re-signs. Phew

140Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:15 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Future Captain re-signs. Phew

Yep.

I've been saying for months that Phillips was going nowhere (and that CR was a fraud). Everything's coming up rooneypoo these last two weeks. HappyDance1

141Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ugh, if he becomes captain...

142Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:27 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Ugh, if he becomes captain...

I'll be right yet again. Laugh1

Seriously, tho', there's no question in my mind that Spezza is being groomed to be captain. It makes too much sense from a PR & advertising angle.

When I said that Phillips would be the next captain after Alfie, as I've clarified about 45 times now, what I meant is that he's the closest thing OTT has right now to an old school captain -- the kind of guy who plays 100% every night, wears his heart on his sleeve, etc. The captain in the Adam Foote mold. But that breed of captain, for better or worse, is dying out. Dressing rooms and coaches don't makes these decisions anymore; PR people do.

The only thing left to be determined is if Spezza is made a captain by PR people, or if he actually becomes a captain. Big difference there. And time will tell.

143Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:03 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Future Captain re-signs. Phew

Yep.

I've been saying for months that Phillips was going nowhere (and that CR was a fraud). Everything's coming up rooneypoo these last two weeks. HappyDance1

Kermit

144Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Gooo douches!

145Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:21 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Love this signing.

The right thing to do.

Now everyone can shutup.

146Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Love this signing.

The right thing to do.

Now everyone can shutup.

There's this whining little contingent of Ottawa fans who won't stop ragging on this deal on Twitter.

I find it quite annoying. This is a great signing, prospect and pick be damned this time, Phillips is a good player, a good person and a natural mentor to Cowen.

147Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:36 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:Love this signing.

The right thing to do.

Now everyone can shutup.

There's this whining little contingent of Ottawa fans who won't stop ragging on this deal on Twitter.

I find it quite annoying. This is a great signing, prospect and pick be damned this time, Phillips is a good player, a good person and a natural mentor to Cowen.

We wouldn't have received much more than what we got for Campoli anyways (imo) so signing him was absolutely the right move. The guy should bounce back and at very worst is a veteran voice in the dressing room to help guide our young defencemen and be a real leader on this team.

148Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:40 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Dash wrote:

MacLean was using the wrong system for NJ's roster.

It's a case of forcing the coach to adapt his system to the team he has vs. forcing the team to adapt to the coach's system.

The second one doesn't work too well we've seen.

That's why Fraudeur, er, Lou fired him.

149Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:
We wouldn't have received much more than what we got for Campoli anyways (imo) so signing him was absolutely the right move. The guy should bounce back and at very worst is a veteran voice in the dressing room to help guide our young defencemen and be a real leader on this team.

Yeah exactly.

150Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:

Seriously, tho', there's no question in my mind that Spezza is being groomed to be captain. It makes too much sense from a PR & advertising angle.

When I said that Phillips would be the next captain after Alfie, as I've clarified about 45 times now, what I meant is that he's the closest thing OTT has right now to an old school captain -- the kind of guy who plays 100% every night, wears his heart on his sleeve, etc. The captain in the Adam Foote mold. But that breed of captain, for better or worse, is dying out. Dressing rooms and coaches don't makes these decisions anymore; PR people do.

The only thing left to be determined is if Spezza is made a captain by PR people, or if he actually becomes a captain. Big difference there. And time will tell.
I actually don't believe Phillips would make a very good captain. We've gone through 10+ years of a "lead by example" captain. Hopefully the next captain, whether it be Spezza or someone else, is someone who leads by example and will be vocal when need be. I'm just glad Fisher isn't in the running anymore.

151Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

Except that it ignores the words of Alfie and Donovan so far.

152Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:53 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I actually agree with rooney, which is amazing considering we're talking about Spezza.

I don't think there's any reason to question whether he's a vocal leader - all the evidence suggests he is - but he's definitely not Alfie in terms of on-ice-example-style leadership.

153Phillips re-signs - Page 10 Empty Re: Phillips re-signs Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:20 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

I always enjoyed watching Phillips loudly congratulate (fist pumps, helmet taps, high fives, etc.) all the guys coming off the ice after a win. (Does he do it for a loss too? I can't recall) He's always the last one off the ice. That certainly appears to be a fairly vocal style of leadership. That must carry over into the dressing room.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum